Status
Not open for further replies.

Bottle Man

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
Hello I am Bottle Man: I posted a question under the DVD Bluray set top box players forum. I call my self Bottle Man because I love the sound of tube amplifiers. My stereo system is made up of two 2 Klipsch Heresys stacked on top of two Klipsch Cornwalls. I rotate my vintage tube amps and receivers. I currently have my Pioneer SX 82 on my rack. I own a 50 inch Panasonic 1080p TV. I just recently ordered a Denon 1610 Bluray /CD player I have not received it yet. I ordered it because the ad said that it has a separate 24 bit burr brown converter circuit for playing audio CDs. Have I killed two birds With one stone? I am looking for a Bluray play that plays audio CDs as well as it plays Bluray. If you look up my original post under the home theater Bluray players you find that I said Brown Burr forgive me I meant Burr Brown. Thank you, Bottle Man.

Solution
G
It's quite feasible for DVD players to sound good on CD, even some generic Chinese ones, but many do not. I'm not sure why Denon would go to the trouble of adding more expensive DACs, given that most people use terrible speakers for movies and are happy to have a separate CD player. I guess it's not a bad thing unless the price is disproportionately high.

Personally, the consistently best sounding CD players I've heard are older models based on the Philips swing arm laser -- as used at one time by Philips, Marantz, Technics, Rotel, Arcam.

A newer 'special edition' Marantz 635SE which (apparently) has better electronics sounds worse -- and like other decks I've owned with straight-line/cog-driven drives from NAD and Tcehnics, skips...
G

It's quite feasible for DVD players to sound good on CD, even some generic Chinese ones, but many do not. I'm not sure why Denon would go to the trouble of adding more expensive DACs, given that most people use terrible speakers for movies and are happy to have a separate CD player. I guess it's not a bad thing unless the price is disproportionately high.

Personally, the consistently best sounding CD players I've heard are older models based on the Philips swing arm laser -- as used at one time by Philips, Marantz, Technics, Rotel, Arcam.

A newer 'special edition' Marantz 635SE which (apparently) has better electronics sounds worse -- and like other decks I've owned with straight-line/cog-driven drives from NAD and Tcehnics, skips on scratched disks that play fine on a swing arm player.

Solution

amorfati

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

Totaly right, the CD 2 with Haller motor are better than the laser driven by a wormwheel ( the most manyfactory's used it ) a play with a Mission CDM 2 and a Quad cd player

Status
Not open for further replies.