[Solved] Windows Explorer, High R/W, Can't Modify File, Not Opening

skech1080

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
Hi everyone, I'm new here, and I've seen really productive answers from this site, and I have a very annoying problem, so let me cut to the chase.

I have this Video file, (AVI, ~12GB) that I cannot in any way modify. I can't rename it, (If I do, windows explorer crashes) I can't move or delete it (When I try it gets stuck on "Preparing") But I can modify all my other files. Also, when I try this, if I don't end explorer.exe's task, and close the recycling window, my hard drive goes under extreme stress and explorer uses a total I/O of over 100MB/s! It is very frustrating, and I need the space. Also, when I try to drag and drop a file onto a program, (Vegas for example) it freezes the program and the I/O spikes, and stays high. Then, when I end explorer.exe, it loads into it. Please, I'm very fusturated, annoyed, and just in a knot about this whole situation. I waited 3 hours for a complete checkdisk. I need help! :cry:
EDIT: Now my hard drive is maxed out ALL THE TIME! My computer is running slow, My Resource monitor won't load any content (Processes using disk, memory, etc) I'm positive I don't have a virus, nothing like this has happened before, I'm angry, sad and this really sucks >:L
EDIT 2: Now this http://imgur.com/y9IoY "The remote procedure call failed and did not execute"

skech1080

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012

It's not a matter of converting it, It's that I can't do ANYTHING to the files. And my explorer just had mad high read levels, while it's doing nothing.

I thought you were trying to change it , modify it or do something to it that would relieve you of this albatross.
Let me ask you this, do you want to delete this file? If you do then you can use this program to do that.

http://eraser.heidi.ie/

When you download and install this program say that you want it to be in the Windows options so that when you right click on a file one of the options that comes up is to use the Eraser.

skech1080

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012

Eraser just sits there saying "Running" and makes no progress

zdbc13

Distinguished
I'd check your hard drive before doing anything to it. From a fresh boot, in explorer, right click on the drive the file is on, select properties, click the tool tab and click Check Now. Check mark both boxes and press Start. This will probably require a re-boot and when it comes back up it will run scandisk. If there is a problem with your drive this will probably fix it. There are other utilities that are more powerful but this comes with windows and works pretty good. If this comes up clean you have to do more investigation. Let us know how that works and if needed we'll make more suggestions.