Tech: Kiss score displays flicker

I just checked the archives and couldn't find anything on this. All of
the score displays, credits ect. (all LED's at the backglass) on my
kiss machine flicker continually. Is there anything I can check or has
anyone experinced this on a 70's Bally LED display machine?

Thanks

Rob

The flicker is a steady "pulsing" that did not occur on my older Kiss
machine.

How do I adjust the voltage at the solenoid driver board?

Thanks for your quick response !!

Rob

The flicker is a steady "pulsing" that did not occur on my older Kiss
machine.

How do I adjust the voltage at the solenoid driver board?

Thanks for your quick response !!

Rob

Don't know exactly what _you_ mean, by flicker,
but many early games do this a little by nature.

Check the voltage going to your displays first.
Needs to be about 170vdc. It is adjustable on
your solenoid driver board, and there is a test
point. They are not LEDs, BTW. ;)

Loose/poor connections can cause this, too.
All header pins on all displays should be resoldered
if that hasn't already been done.

--
Fred
TX

"Robblv" <robb@fea-world.com> wrote in message news:1120105453.706512.287870@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I just checked the archives and couldn't find anything on this. All of
> the score displays, credits ect. (all LED's at the backglass) on my
> kiss machine flicker continually. Is there anything I can check or has
> anyone experinced this on a 70's Bally LED display machine?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rob

Check out
http://marvin3m.com/bally/index3.htm#display
and scroll down to "flickering displays". there
are a number of ideas there you can check.

Robblv wrote:
> I just checked the archives and couldn't find anything on this. All of
> the score displays, credits ect. (all LED's at the backglass) on my
> kiss machine flicker continually. Is there anything I can check or has
> anyone experinced this on a 70's Bally LED display machine?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rob

Do you have both of the manuals for your game? One
of them should have the schematics and the other will
have the info you require to locate the adjustments and
the correct "TP" (test point), to do this. The second book
is FO-560-x, (X being the revision).

If you don't have the manual, I'd suggest picking one up.
Fair amount of info that applies to most all Bally pins
using this board set.

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
===================================

Robblv wrote:
> The flicker is a steady "pulsing" that did not occur on my older Kiss
> machine.
>
> How do I adjust the voltage at the solenoid driver board?
>
> Thanks for your quick response !!
>
> Rob

Flickering displays on the older Bally pins is almost always the male
pin headers on the displays need to be re-flowed with fresh solder.

"Robblv" wrote:
> The flicker is a steady "pulsing" that did not occur on my older Kiss
> machine.
>
> How do I adjust the voltage at the solenoid driver board?

The pulsing could be low voltage coming out of the high voltage regulator on
the solenoid board- adjustable (see below).

Or you could have a failing filter capacitor in the HV regulator circuitry.
Either can cause what you're describing.

To check the voltage going out to the displays, use a volt meter with
negative lead on a ground point, and touch positive lead to TP2 which is in
the high voltage regulator circuitry in the upper left corner of the
solenoid/regulator board. Usually you have to reach the test lead up
underneath the protective plastic that mounts over the heat sink in this
area- in order to get to TP2. So be SUPER careful not to touch any other
components or short anything out.

Voltage in this area on the board is as high as 250vdc, so use EXTREME
caution- the wrong move can damage something or at worst kill you.

You can also check for the same (TP2) voltage at the TP2 test point on any
of the 5 display units (if that's easier to get to for you).

Voltage at TP2 should be in the range of 175vdc to 195vdc. You can increase
or decrease the voltage by adjusting the small pot (knob) near TP2 and TP4
on the solenoid/regulator board. Do this with a small screwdriver while
watching your meter reading (while connected to TP2) to see how you are
adjusting the voltage.

This may clean up the strobing or pulsing you are seeing. If not, you might
consider replacing the large electrolytic capacitor mounted at the top of
the board (horizontally). Original type is hard to find or may not even be
being made anymore, but what we use is a standard off-the-shelf 160uF 400v
cap and it does an excellent job of filtering the DC voltage in this
circuit. And will far outlast the original cap.

Hope this helps!

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC