I have heard that sometimes even a new legal copy of XP professional
needs a phone call to Microsoft to get it registered/ activated,
because online registration/ activation isn't accepted or produces an
error message like "invalid key" or similar. Is it normal that a phone
call is sometimes neccessary? Or should legal copies of XP always be
possible to activate online. Thank you

--
finiky

Alias

If you change too much of your hardware, you'll have to call. It's MS' new
screw the paying customers campaign.

Alias

"finiky" <finiky.1tszq2@pcbanter.net> wrote

> I have heard that sometimes even a new legal copy of XP professional
> needs a phone call to Microsoft to get it registered/ activated,
> because online registration/ activation isn't accepted or produces an
> error message like "invalid key" or similar. Is it normal that a phone
> call is sometimes neccessary? Or should legal copies of XP always be
> possible to activate online. Thank you
>

> --
> finiky

Resgistration and Activation are completely different things.Product
activation is not the same as product registration.Product activation is
a must and is completely anonymous. Product registration, on the other
hand, is completely optional.
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx

you may choose to activate your product over the Internet or,if that
fails 'you may activate Windows XP over the telephone, you can simply
call a toll-free* number displayed on your screen. A customer service
representative will ask for the installation ID number displayed on the
same screen, enter that number into a secure database, and return a
confirmation ID to you. Once you have typed the confirmation ID, the
activation process is complete.'
Ref:-http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/features/activation.mspx

regards,
ssg MS-MVP