keeps reconnecting to internet

August 15, 2005 8:59:09 AM

Following a recent update to Internet explorer I find that my PC
automatically reconnects to the internet within minutes of my disconnecting.
I have changed the Connections setting in Internet Properties to Never Dial a
Connection but it still does it. Can any one shed any light on this one?

It's realise it's not a major issue but I just like to feel in control of my
machine.

Thanks

Phill

More about : reconnecting internet

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 12:06:21 PM

Are you using a 3rd-Party Firewall program, that monitors outbound
connection attempts ? Most likely you've got an application or a type
of Watchdog that is attempting to check for an update to itself and is
calling up the dial-up connectoid. The Windows Firewall provides only
an inbounds protection and nothing for outgoing communications. You
might want to consider either Zone Alarm or Sygate which offers a
free version.

!