Is my system news posting on its own????

Status
Not open for further replies.

I tried posting to alt.test.test for something and discovered to my
horror that I had a couple of posts on 10-apr-04 at 8:30 and 8:32
pm!!!!! I did not do these, and last I checked I was not clinically
schizophrenic. I checked the message source and am not sure if the IP
is mine or not (dynamic IP).

Is this a virus??? I'm assuming so, instead of someone else pretending
to be me and first trying it out in alt.test.test.

--
While using is ok, actually /writing/ free software is a disingenuous
activity. You can afford to write software for free only because of

There are viruses to be found in newsgroup postings, but no doubt you have
full time virus scanning, so we can probably rule that out.

I would be more concerned that someone was trying to spoof your identity.
Bastards.

Can you decipher anything from the header information that would tell you
where the posts came from?

Rocky

"Thomas G. Marshall" <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com>
wrote in message news:8KUgc.10491$eK3.8003@nwrdny01.gnilink.net...

> I tried posting to alt.test.test for something and discovered to my
> horror that I had a couple of posts on 10-apr-04 at 8:30 and 8:32
> pm!!!!! I did not do these, and last I checked I was not clinically
> schizophrenic. I checked the message source and am not sure if the IP
> is mine or not (dynamic IP).
>
> Is this a virus??? I'm assuming so, instead of someone else pretending
> to be me and first trying it out in alt.test.test.
>

> --
> While using is ok, actually /writing/ free software is a disingenuous
> activity. You can afford to write software for free only because of
> someone else somewhere actually paying for it. Just say no.

Well, {author hides} I've not installed my Norton SystemWorks 2003 yet.
I've been putting that off. Gonna happen within milliseconds from now.

Rocket J. Squirrel <rocky@bullwinkle.com> coughed up the following:

> There are viruses to be found in newsgroup postings, but no doubt you
> have full time virus scanning, so we can probably rule that out.
>
> I would be more concerned that someone was trying to spoof your
> identity. Bastards.
>
> Can you decipher anything from the header information that would tell
> you where the posts came from?
>
> Rocky
>
> "Thomas G. Marshall"
> <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:8KUgc.10491$eK3.8003@nwrdny01.gnilink.net...
>>
>> I tried posting to alt.test.test for something and discovered to my
>> horror that I had a couple of posts on 10-apr-04 at 8:30 and 8:32
>> pm!!!!! I did not do these, and last I checked I was not clinically
>> schizophrenic. I checked the message source and am not sure if the
>> IP is mine or not (dynamic IP).
>>
>> Is this a virus??? I'm assuming so, instead of someone else
>> pretending to be me and first trying it out in alt.test.test.
>>

>> --
>> While using is ok, actually /writing/ free software is a disingenuous
>> activity. You can afford to write software for free only because of
>> someone else somewhere actually paying for it. Just say no.

I'm not saying it is not possible, but virus's do not usually post harvested
names and AD's to newsgroups.
R.J. is most likely correct. Some one is intentionally or unintentionally
using your "user name". Check the email AD that follows your "user name" in
the header display.. If it is the same as you are using, then it is likely
intentional. If it is different, then most likely it is just a coincidence.

wrote in message news:EbVgc.17806$635.3743@nwrdny03.gnilink.net...

> Well, {author hides} I've not installed my Norton SystemWorks 2003 yet.
> I've been putting that off. Gonna happen within milliseconds from now.
>

> Rocket J. Squirrel <rocky@bullwinkle.com> coughed up the following:
>
> > There are viruses to be found in newsgroup postings, but no doubt you
> > have full time virus scanning, so we can probably rule that out.
> >
> > I would be more concerned that someone was trying to spoof your
> > identity. Bastards.
> >
> > Can you decipher anything from the header information that would tell
> > you where the posts came from?
> >
> > Rocky
> >
> > "Thomas G. Marshall"
> > <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote in
> > message news:8KUgc.10491$eK3.8003@nwrdny01.gnilink.net...
> >>
> >> I tried posting to alt.test.test for something and discovered to my
> >> horror that I had a couple of posts on 10-apr-04 at 8:30 and 8:32
> >> pm!!!!! I did not do these, and last I checked I was not clinically
> >> schizophrenic. I checked the message source and am not sure if the
> >> IP is mine or not (dynamic IP).
> >>
> >> Is this a virus??? I'm assuming so, instead of someone else
> >> pretending to be me and first trying it out in alt.test.test.
> >>

> >> --
> >> While using is ok, actually /writing/ free software is a disingenuous
> >> activity. You can afford to write software for free only because of
> >> someone else somewhere actually paying for it. Just say no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS