Computer Speaker Wattage needed for 120 Sq. Ft Room ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weatherphobia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Computer Speaker Wattage needed for 120 Sq. Ft Room?

The room is 10 feet X 12 Feet, so 120 SQ Feet :sleep:

What would be a good speaker wattage for such a room for occasional loud music.

My Budget is $20-$25

Using Win 7 x64

thank you.
:bounce: :hello:

Solution

A decibel meter is also beyond your budget. That should bring some light to the reality of the situation--it costs money to build stuff. There are no magic deals for a bag of popcorn and a couple of drinks at a movie. Hell a meal for two at a mom & pop restaurant is more than $25 . Polite or not these are the facts.

weatherphobia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008

Nothing?

How come I see dozens of 2.0 speakers well under $25 on NEWEGG.COM and even Bestbuy???

Maybe what I mean is Decibels NOT Watts for $25

This is for personal use, not for a party or for my family in other rooms to hear.

I thought I asked the question as best possible?

Again, perhaps I meant dB's not Watts?

I'm not an acoustical engineer.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

Get something like this http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20005175-47.html and find someone who don't like their old amp. Beter yet, ask friends and relative who don't want their old stereo system because spending $25 on PC Media speaker will probably get you 10 watts to 15 watts RMS at most. But if you need one then what Emperus suggested is not bad, good enough to fill the room with sounds.

weatherphobia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008

I'm very depressed with this bad news. :(
Even other Forums have given me close to the same verdict although in a more diplomatic manner.

Basically it's me alone siting in front of the computer with the 2 speakers facing me alone. Moderately loud for me but not loud enough to hear even in an adjoining or nearby room.

Believe me, I am trying my darndest to describe what it is I am looking for.

I don't own a dB meter which would probably help get my needs across :-(

Could one of you tell me what to look for ? Decibels or Watts? Like a trip to a place like Best-buy?

What if I raised my budget to $35 to $40? and made sure it was a 2 speaker system only? :hello:

P.S. About 6-7 years ago I had a system with 50 watts per speaker but it was driven by a Digital Receiver and I would rarely crank the volume past 25%. of course I can only guess that that output was around 12.5%-25% total somewhere between 6 and 12 Watts. And I recall it being VERY loud, could here it from the mailbox about 75 feet away from the front door. But as I said before I'm not looking for anything close to that loudness.

I am seriously trying to describe my needs and am at a loss as to how to describe me needs any more unless someone can help me with some dB/Watts scenarios?

thanks [p.s. I raised the budget to $35-$40

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005

A decibel meter is also beyond your budget. That should bring some light to the reality of the situation--it costs money to build stuff. There are no magic deals for a bag of popcorn and a couple of drinks at a movie. Hell a meal for two at a mom & pop restaurant is more than $25 . Polite or not these are the facts.

Solution

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
any speaker on that praice range, will probably all sound similar.

ur quote mentioning 120 sq is irrelevant if ur just going to sit in front of those spekers, so i dont see the problem of buying any....

weatherphobia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008

I regret, with deep thought and depression, starting this thread. I could have swore an answer would have been easy considering all the details I made clear.

ok then.

Status
Not open for further replies.