multi-boot problem

Hi,

I'm running Win2000 in partition 1 and installed Win XP in partition 2.
since then only XP would boot and there was no multi-boot choice on startup.
I re-installed Win2000 hoping the multi boot choice was added automatically
but now I boot to 2000 again.

I've tried editing my boot.ini but the system didn't like it and only lets
me boot to 2000.

can someone tell me how to set this up??

thanks to all, rob
2 answers Last reply
More about multi boot problem

    Greetings ,

    I'd say best practice to get dual-booting to work is to install the win2k OS
    first on the active partition and then install XP on the second partition , I
    have not come accross a package type that does not allow dual-booting ,
    unless you have a recovery disk or the likes.(shame if you do.)

    Reinstalling 2000 might actually have replaced some of the files XP needed
    to boot, I could be wrong , but I'm sure XP throws a few files onto the
    active partition as well.

    Your boot.ini probably looks like this by default.
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
    Professional" /fastdetect

    I'd try changing the default to whichever partition XP is on and making sure
    to point it to the WINXP installation folder , and add the appropriate line
    under OS.

    If this doesn't work, I'd recommend trying a repair installation of XP.
    Assuming the install disk even picks up your XP installation...

    I'm sure I'm taking the easy way out and someone will come along and tell
    you which files to replace in recovery console , now that I think about it
    booting into recovery console from the WinXP disk and running bootcfg
    /rebuild and probably fixboot commands will work. I take no responsibility
    for any um, problems that occur after that, but in theory this should rebuild
    the boot.ini by scanning for bootable installations and the second command
    will try and repair the boot sector on the active partition , I think that
    should make things in XP's favor. Like I said above , use these steps at your
    own discretion.

    Hehe , I'm sure someone with a degree more experience will come along and
    correct me shortly ;) , Please !?

    --
    ________
    NIC

    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_2k.htm
    --
    Ron Sommer

    "promicro" <promicro@cshore.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm running Win2000 in partition 1 and installed Win XP in partition 2.
    > since then only XP would boot and there was no multi-boot choice on
    > startup.
    > I re-installed Win2000 hoping the multi boot choice was added
    > automatically
    > but now I boot to 2000 again.
    >
    > I've tried editing my boot.ini but the system didn't like it and only lets
    > me boot to 2000.
    >
    > can someone tell me how to set this up??
    >
    > thanks to all, rob

Partition Boot Windows XP