something weird and my review of p4 3,06ghz

I'll start off with my review and then end with the weird.

Let me just say that i'm rendering 2000 frame AVI file as we speak while typing this. Other programs start right up while rendering. and "both" cpus are running at around 100% because maya supports dual processing anyway. (i'm already on frame 8 btw and it's been 4 minutes. 30 seconds a frame is really good. before it took 30 minutes to do 10 frames with my 2ghz cpu to put it in perspective. I ran MMC 8.2, adobe photoshop, IE, and maya and they all started up te same speed as the would normaly. this is pretty impressive because normally it would take longer and longer as you open each intense program. All in all i'm pretty impressed with the virtual dual processing. Of course it doesn't escape the real deal but this route is cheaper and if you run several programs at once get this processor! If your running a TV program and want to do some video editing too - ya get this cpu it can handle that. of course your bottleneck is your hard drive si you'll probably want raid 0 or a scsi drive. but it's pretty cool! i like it.

now onto the weird ...

i think i broke my heatsink and fan lol. the rpms never go higher than 3400rpms now. it is great cos it's quiet. but now my temps go insanly high but then again they drop insanly low. right now while rendering my temp is at 58C full load, but as soon as i end this or stop SETI the temps drop down to 44, even 42, then 41 and 42 again and 41 .... etc ... before i broke this peace of plastic off ( i wanted totry and switch fans but that didn't work because the yare different styles and won't fit and i broke this tab off and i put the fan back on too cos i took it off) when i first installed it never saw 40 something degrees. always in the 50's. But, now my heatsink doesn't get up to 6000rpms either like it did before. it stays at 3400 no matter the temp. it's suppose to be a variable speed heatsink. is it broken? or did i mess up the variable speed and fix the heatsink to seat on the cpu correctly or ... what do you think? and does this make any sense? it is 1:20am in the mornign afterall lol

thanks!

"Bread makes me poop!" - Special Ed

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Traqr

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
Broke off a tab... Your fan has built-in thermal speed regulation, right? Is the sensor in a different place now, or is the fan upside-down? Simply removing and reinstalling the fan won't cause that kind of change, but if the fan sensor was in contact with the heatsink and now it's not, you'll have low noise and high temperatures...

<font color=blue>Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself.</font color=blue><font color=green>
<i>Canadian Flight Safety periodical, ~1987</i></font color=green>

Traqr

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
wait... your renovated, low-speed, low noise fan is usually <i>cooler</i> than before? That HSF must not have been seated correctly before, or the fan <i>was</i> upside-down. It's probably fine; most heat solutions start ramping up the fans at around 60C.

<font color=blue>Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself.</font color=blue><font color=green>
<i>Canadian Flight Safety periodical, ~1987</i></font color=green>

Bahumut

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
What are you using to monitor the speeds and temps. If you are using motherboard sensors, the readings can change simply by updating your bios. Which variable fan do you have, and can you readily find the sensor on it. You may have broke off the sensor itself. Fans usually ramp up to max rpms, but sometimes their just weird.

As for seating the heat sink, if the heatsink isn't level on your procesor, you don't usually get to play with your computer very long. It either burns out or enters thermal protection mode. Unless, of course you use to much thermal paste and a conduit for heat (a very poor conduit) still exists. Without too much thermal paste, an unevenly seated heatsink isn't in contact with half of the heatspreader. On second thought, half the heatspreader is more surface area than an AMD's die size.

Pain is the realization of your own weakness.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Bahumut on 05/02/03 07:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

winbond hardware doctor.

my cpu temps are actually pretty decent now. it's totally weird ... it did get up to 60 one time on full load, but now the same full load it's at 53 now. So far my computer has been at full load for a day now (rendering my 3d animation video) and temps went down from 58 to 53. It is cooler today though so that could have something to do with it. it could also be that the artice silver 3 just had to get the bugs out for a lack of a better word. i'm surey ou know what i'm talking about.

the fan on the heatsink seems fine. everything is fine now. just weird thats all i can say.

oh one thing i did change is that, lol, i had the intake fans in backwards. So i flipped them around. I bet that made a difference. I have 2 intake fans and one exhaust and 2 fans on the power supply.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

well - have you seen intel's stock heatsink&fans? The fans only go one way. they arn't the standard 80mm fans you're use to.

I just think the artic silver just had to sink in and better conduct the heat. Thats the only thing i can say to explain it. it's been on full load for a day now and temps went from 58 to 52 now over 24 hours on full load.

DOn't know about the rest - i think i just broke the sensor or it fell off and i didn't see it.. i have no idea.

sonoran

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2002
I ran MMC 8.2, adobe photoshop, IE, and maya and they all started up te same speed as the would normaly. this is pretty impressive because normally it would take longer and longer as you open each intense program. All in all i'm pretty impressed with the virtual dual processing. Of course it doesn't escape the real deal but this route is cheaper and if you run several programs at once get this processor!
Sounds like you're definitely a believer in Hyperthreading. Glad to see you having fun with your new toy. Now, we just gotta get this core ramped up to 10GHz. What would your render times be at that speed? ;)

* Not speaking for Intel Corp *