My top 10 list of pins 90's to current for 2005

This is my top 10 pin list based on playability. Theme, theme execution,
and artwork made some titles higher or lower.

1 Cirqus Voltaire - Best ruleset ever, beautiful. Ruleset too
complicated for new players.
2 MB - Fun theme, good for novies to semi pro. A little easy for the
pro, weak wizard mode.
3 Monopoly - Great rules and fun for new or experienced. It's a Stern.
4 Funhouse - still fun still so mysterious. Play a little shallow by
todays standards.
5 Getaway - fastest pin ever and great flow. good for novice to semi
pro. Play a little shallow by todays standards.
6 Fish Tales - fun execution of theme, awesome video mode
7 Creature - fun theme that is well executed. can't see much of
playfield which is a turn off for new players
8 Indiana Jones - wide body, fun multiball. Slow sometimes, music sounds
a bit cheezy.
9 Demo Man - widebody that feels like a narrowbody, fast and shots don't
feel repetative. Too serious, no fun in quotes or anything.
10 MM - 'nuff said

Honerable Mention

The Shadow - Haven't really put my finger on what it is i dig about this
game....
Totan - Beautiful game. Needs deeper rules
Attack from mars - Real humorous. Weak shot selection.
SS - Real humorous. Repetative shots.

-spazzman

Monopoly the best Stern? What? Just 'cause you own it, doesn't make it
top 10.

My own list:

1) LOTR
2) MM
3) TZ
4) TSPP
5) AFM
6) FH
7) SHADOW
8) TOM (weak wizard, but great shots)
9) WW
10) CFTBL

BRETT B

What about TAF? That is still one of the best ones out there. And
fish tales? Talk about repetative shots :) You knew posting your top
10 was just setting you up for a text thrashing.

What? LOTR the best Stern? I wouldn't know.

(It's HIS list.)

On that note, I think Mono and RCT are the best
I've played.

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
===================

brett.barry@cox.net wrote:
> Monopoly the best Stern? What? Just 'cause you own it, doesn't make it
> top 10.
>
> My own list:
>
> 1) LOTR
> 2) MM
> 3) TZ
> 4) TSPP
> 5) AFM
> 6) FH
> 7) SHADOW
> 8) TOM (weak wizard, but great shots)
> 9) WW
> 10) CFTBL

LOTR
STTNG
CFTBL
MM
AFM
TZ
SS
WH2O

i'm having problems with 9 and 10. but IMHO those are definetely my top

wow. other than FT and MM, I couldn't disagree more. I guess that's what
makes the hobby fun - differing opinions. CV is great, but maybe it would
make top 11.

TZ not on your list and DM is? first time i've EVER heard DM is better than
TZ.......

Dan

"j s" <spazzman90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This is my top 10 pin list based on playability. Theme, theme execution,
> and artwork made some titles higher or lower.
>

> 1 Cirqus Voltaire - Best ruleset ever, beautiful. Ruleset too
> complicated for new players.
> 2 MB - Fun theme, good for novies to semi pro. A little easy for the
> pro, weak wizard mode.
> 3 Monopoly - Great rules and fun for new or experienced. It's a Stern.
> 4 Funhouse - still fun still so mysterious. Play a little shallow by
> todays standards.
> 5 Getaway - fastest pin ever and great flow. good for novice to semi
> pro. Play a little shallow by todays standards.
> 6 Fish Tales - fun execution of theme, awesome video mode
> 7 Creature - fun theme that is well executed. can't see much of
> playfield which is a turn off for new players
> 8 Indiana Jones - wide body, fun multiball. Slow sometimes, music
sounds
> a bit cheezy.
> 9 Demo Man - widebody that feels like a narrowbody, fast and shots
don't
> feel repetative. Too serious, no fun in quotes or anything.
> 10 MM - 'nuff said
>

> Honerable Mention
>
> The Shadow - Haven't really put my finger on what it is i dig about this
> game....
> Totan - Beautiful game. Needs deeper rules
> Attack from mars - Real humorous. Weak shot selection.
> SS - Real humorous. Repetative shots.
>
> -spazzman

I'd change a couple of those, but could live with it as is.
:)
Dam

<brett.barry@cox.net> wrote in message
> Monopoly the best Stern? What? Just 'cause you own it, doesn't make it
> top 10.
>
> My own list:
>
> 1) LOTR
> 2) MM
> 3) TZ
> 4) TSPP
> 5) AFM
> 6) FH
> 7) SHADOW
> 8) TOM (weak wizard, but great shots)
> 9) WW
> 10) CFTBL
>
> BRETT B

Scott

Otto - what's up with you...no mention of that GTB Sys3 game you like
so much (I can't even bring myself to type in its name)??

Fred Kemper wrote:
> What? LOTR the best Stern? I wouldn't know.

I'd say LOTR is the best Stern that's WMS-like.

Elvis is the best Stern-Stern, if you follow.

What no White Water??? No Twilight Zone??? Shadow only honorable mention???

- Kevin

PinBotz -- Enhancements for Classic Pinball Machines
http://www.pinbotz.com

"j s" <spazzman90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This is my top 10 pin list based on playability. Theme, theme execution,
> and artwork made some titles higher or lower.
>

> 1 Cirqus Voltaire - Best ruleset ever, beautiful. Ruleset too
> complicated for new players.
> 2 MB - Fun theme, good for novies to semi pro. A little easy for the
> pro, weak wizard mode.
> 3 Monopoly - Great rules and fun for new or experienced. It's a Stern.
> 4 Funhouse - still fun still so mysterious. Play a little shallow by
> todays standards.
> 5 Getaway - fastest pin ever and great flow. good for novice to semi
> pro. Play a little shallow by todays standards.
> 6 Fish Tales - fun execution of theme, awesome video mode
> 7 Creature - fun theme that is well executed. can't see much of
> playfield which is a turn off for new players
> 8 Indiana Jones - wide body, fun multiball. Slow sometimes, music
> sounds a bit cheezy.
> 9 Demo Man - widebody that feels like a narrowbody, fast and shots
> don't feel repetative. Too serious, no fun in quotes or anything.
> 10 MM - 'nuff said
>

> Honerable Mention
>
> The Shadow - Haven't really put my finger on what it is i dig about this
> game....
> Totan - Beautiful game. Needs deeper rules
> Attack from mars - Real humorous. Weak shot selection.
> SS - Real humorous. Repetative shots.
>
> -spazzman

My list has a few "different" choices, so I figured I would throw them
out there.

1 STTNG
2 TAF
3 IJ
4 TSPP
5 DH
6 NGG
7 LOTR
8 WWF RR
9 T2/T3 (like them both equally)
10 ToM

Just missed the cut would be: BOP, I500, R&Bull, Monop, FH, WW(H20), TZ
The stink pack: LW3, X_F!les, Pop-I, H20-World, and RCT

Chris (in NH)

otto

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001

CBW was rated the #1 pin by RGP........................................

Otto

CARGPB11

<scott@farrar.com> wrote in message
> Otto - what's up with you...no mention of that GTB Sys3 game you like
> so much (I can't even bring myself to type in its name)??

MacMan

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2004

What??????????????????????????

Where is LOTR and TSPP?
Honorable mention AFM???
DM on the list... I own it and it's a fun pin but...
And I second TZ missing!

Cheers
Macman

In article <rridnZ2xgJKRfV7fRVn-pQ@comcast.com>,
"j s" <spazzman90@hotmail.com> wrote:

> This is my top 10 pin list based on playability. Theme, theme execution,
> and artwork made some titles higher or lower.
>

> 1 Cirqus Voltaire - Best ruleset ever, beautiful. Ruleset too
> complicated for new players.
> 2 MB - Fun theme, good for novies to semi pro. A little easy for the
> pro, weak wizard mode.
> 3 Monopoly - Great rules and fun for new or experienced. It's a Stern.
> 4 Funhouse - still fun still so mysterious. Play a little shallow by
> todays standards.
> 5 Getaway - fastest pin ever and great flow. good for novice to semi
> pro. Play a little shallow by todays standards.
> 6 Fish Tales - fun execution of theme, awesome video mode
> 7 Creature - fun theme that is well executed. can't see much of
> playfield which is a turn off for new players
> 8 Indiana Jones - wide body, fun multiball. Slow sometimes, music sounds
> a bit cheezy.
> 9 Demo Man - widebody that feels like a narrowbody, fast and shots don't
> feel repetative. Too serious, no fun in quotes or anything.
> 10 MM - 'nuff said
>

> Honerable Mention
>
> The Shadow - Haven't really put my finger on what it is i dig about this
> game....
> Totan - Beautiful game. Needs deeper rules
> Attack from mars - Real humorous. Weak shot selection.
> SS - Real humorous. Repetative shots.
>
> -spazzman

Why would anyone even consider playing a pinball post-1990?

Is this thread spam or a joke? :)

I like Centaur and Ali.

Okay, okay - I like WhiteWater.

"j s" <spazzman90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This is my top 10 pin list based on playability. Theme, theme execution,
> and artwork made some titles higher or lower.
>

> 1 Cirqus Voltaire - Best ruleset ever, beautiful. Ruleset too
> complicated for new players.
> 2 MB - Fun theme, good for novies to semi pro. A little easy for the
> pro, weak wizard mode.
> 3 Monopoly - Great rules and fun for new or experienced. It's a Stern.
> 4 Funhouse - still fun still so mysterious. Play a little shallow by
> todays standards.
> 5 Getaway - fastest pin ever and great flow. good for novice to semi
> pro. Play a little shallow by todays standards.
> 6 Fish Tales - fun execution of theme, awesome video mode
> 7 Creature - fun theme that is well executed. can't see much of
> playfield which is a turn off for new players
> 8 Indiana Jones - wide body, fun multiball. Slow sometimes, music
sounds
> a bit cheezy.
> 9 Demo Man - widebody that feels like a narrowbody, fast and shots
don't
> feel repetative. Too serious, no fun in quotes or anything.
> 10 MM - 'nuff said
>

> Honerable Mention
>
> The Shadow - Haven't really put my finger on what it is i dig about this
> game....
> Totan - Beautiful game. Needs deeper rules
> Attack from mars - Real humorous. Weak shot selection.
> SS - Real humorous. Repetative shots.
>
> -spazzman

1) MM
2) AFM
3) TSPP
4) LOTR
5) CV
6) WCS 94
7) TZ
8) IJ
9) TOM (Bland Finale wizard mode drops this otherwise fantastic
machine)
10) SOPR (yes, I think it is the 3rd best modern Stern)---Squeaking in
at no. 10--Very difficult wizard mode completion makes it a challenge.
Boss Wizard mode.... Not getting to Underboss :)

....... Never played enough TAF to judge.

My turn . . .

1. AFM
2. MM
3. TZ
4. CV
5. TAF
6. LOTR
7. STTNG
8. TSPP
9. FH
10. IJ

j s wrote:
> This is my top 10 pin list based on playability. Theme, theme execution,
> and artwork made some titles higher or lower.
>

> 1 Cirqus Voltaire - Best ruleset ever, beautiful. Ruleset too
> complicated for new players.
> 2 MB - Fun theme, good for novies to semi pro. A little easy for the
> pro, weak wizard mode.
> 3 Monopoly - Great rules and fun for new or experienced. It's a Stern.
> 4 Funhouse - still fun still so mysterious. Play a little shallow by
> todays standards.
> 5 Getaway - fastest pin ever and great flow. good for novice to semi
> pro. Play a little shallow by todays standards.
> 6 Fish Tales - fun execution of theme, awesome video mode
> 7 Creature - fun theme that is well executed. can't see much of
> playfield which is a turn off for new players
> 8 Indiana Jones - wide body, fun multiball. Slow sometimes, music sounds
> a bit cheezy.
> 9 Demo Man - widebody that feels like a narrowbody, fast and shots don't
> feel repetative. Too serious, no fun in quotes or anything.
> 10 MM - 'nuff said
>

> Honerable Mention
>
> The Shadow - Haven't really put my finger on what it is i dig about this
> game....
> Totan - Beautiful game. Needs deeper rules
> Attack from mars - Real humorous. Weak shot selection.
> SS - Real humorous. Repetative shots.
>
> -spazzman

This is pretty common. I'm sure the games in the list are games he owns or
plays alot. He probably
doesn't own a TZ, etc. People are always more favorable to games they own,
right up until the day they get rid of it,
then it drops off the list because it got old too quick. hehe...

Terrible list, btw. But like someone said, differing opinions make it fun!
;-)

JWC

http://www.arcade2084.com

"DWGoett" <pinball@midamerica.net> wrote in message
> wow. other than FT and MM, I couldn't disagree more. I guess that's what
> makes the hobby fun - differing opinions. CV is great, but maybe it would
> make top 11.
>
> TZ not on your list and DM is? first time i've EVER heard DM is better
than
> TZ.......
>
> Dan
>
> "j s" <spazzman90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > This is my top 10 pin list based on playability. Theme, theme
execution,
> > and artwork made some titles higher or lower.
> >

> > 1 Cirqus Voltaire - Best ruleset ever, beautiful. Ruleset too
> > complicated for new players.
> > 2 MB - Fun theme, good for novies to semi pro. A little easy for the
> > pro, weak wizard mode.
> > 3 Monopoly - Great rules and fun for new or experienced. It's a
Stern.
> > 4 Funhouse - still fun still so mysterious. Play a little shallow by
> > todays standards.
> > 5 Getaway - fastest pin ever and great flow. good for novice to semi
> > pro. Play a little shallow by todays standards.
> > 6 Fish Tales - fun execution of theme, awesome video mode
> > 7 Creature - fun theme that is well executed. can't see much of
> > playfield which is a turn off for new players
> > 8 Indiana Jones - wide body, fun multiball. Slow sometimes, music
> sounds
> > a bit cheezy.
> > 9 Demo Man - widebody that feels like a narrowbody, fast and shots
> don't
> > feel repetative. Too serious, no fun in quotes or anything.
> > 10 MM - 'nuff said
> >

> > Honerable Mention
> >
> > The Shadow - Haven't really put my finger on what it is i dig about this
> > game....
> > Totan - Beautiful game. Needs deeper rules
> > Attack from mars - Real humorous. Weak shot selection.
> > SS - Real humorous. Repetative shots.
> >
> > -spazzman

I'll give it a whirl

1. LOTR
2. TSPP
3. MM
4. WH2O
5. TZ
6. STTNG
7. AFM
8. ES (ok so it's 1989)
9. FH
10. ToM

h_h

And Now for something completely different:

1. IJ
2.AFM
3. MM
4. F-14 Tomcat
5. BK2000
6. Lady Luck (68 Williams)
7. Centaur
8. Black Hole
9. Terminator 2
10. BK 2000

I'd have to say my top 10 are.

1. TAF
2. TZ
3. FH
4. ES
5. TOM
6. RFM
7. MM
8. LOTR
9. NGG
10. WH20

Note: I have not yet played CV, shadow (but want to)....and it's been
about 12 years since i played CFTBL so I can't really remember how fun
it was.

Check back in a few years. I find it interesting that the
newest/latest is always rated highest...not that I dont think that LOTR
is great, it is!

To put things in perspective, here are some actual quotes from Google
regarding Hurricane:

"Wow! I just tried Hurricane for the first time"..."I now know why so
many people loved this game. It is awesome."

"I REALLY miss that pin. Maybe I'll have to make a field trip to
Michigan State just to play it again."

"I agree with ya, the games is awesome, but those stupid double ferris
wheels
are so sloooow! And sometimes you dont even get anything for going in
there,
but you still have to wait for those ferris wheels... Other than that,
the
games is AWESOME!!!! I expecially like 'Clown Time'!"

"This game is awesome!"

"All in all, it's a very nice pinball game." "...for the moment it
looks like one I'll want to buy someday."

:p

Barry - NY

My top 10 (from WWind to Sopranos) would be

1) TSPP - Very challenging to get the wizard mode. The most stacking
I've seen in a pin, which is a main reason I'd keep going back to this
pin to play it.
Tie for 2nd: TZ and LOTR - Quite challenging as well to get to the
wizard mode on either of these games
4) MM - Fun game all round, especially the quotes in the game
5) TAF - Fun game to play and the soundtrack can't be beat, IMO
6) WWind - left loop shot tough to master; the first pin I've ever
owned
7) TOM - like somebody else said, weak wizard mode, but great shots
8) FH - love to start MB on this one to hear RUDY spit the ball out of
his mouth after it's shot in there to begin the MB
9) CV - good rule set; I love the colors on this game
10) Tommy - IMO, the best DE game ever made

I own TZ, TSPP, and MM; would like to own TAF and LOTR; owned a WWind
at one time.

Koi