Error while installing "Windows Installer update "

Hi,

when i am installing the update (manually) an error occure
"you dont have the right to update windows xp"
I have local admin rights on the pc.

When i am updating the patches via SUS it just fails without a mesasge.

Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1
Update for Windows XP (KB898461)
More about error installing windows installer update

    Have you installed the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool?

    "Rex Kremer" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > when i am installing the update (manually) an error occure
    > "you dont have the right to update windows xp"
    > I have local admin rights on the pc.
    >
    > When i am updating the patches via SUS it just fails without a mesasge.

    > Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1
    > Update for Windows XP (KB898461)

    It is installed.

    "jerryrock" wrote:

    > Have you installed the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool?
    >
    > "Rex Kremer" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > when i am installing the update (manually) an error occure
    > > "you dont have the right to update windows xp"
    > > I have local admin rights on the pc.
    > >
    > > When i am updating the patches via SUS it just fails without a mesasge.

    > > Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1
    > > Update for Windows XP (KB898461)

    Hi Rex,

    We may need more information for the further analysis.

    Please help us gather a MPS Report file:

    - Download the MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE file from the following website:

    http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7
    -F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en

    - Double-click to run the MPSRPT_SUS.EXE file and wait for it to complete.
    - Send me the .cab file generated in the following folder:
    %systemroot%\MPSReports\Setup\<Report Type>\Cab

    Also, you may perform the following steps to see if this problem can be
    eliminated:
    1) Open Active Directory Users & Computers.
    2) Right click on the domain and choose PROPERTIES.
    3) Click the GROUP POLICY tab.
    4) Highlight DEFAULT DOMAIN POLICY and click EDIT.
    5) Expand COMPUTER CONFIGURATION-WINDOWS SETTINGS-SECURITY SETTINGS-LOCAL
    POLICIES-USERS RIGHTS ASSIGNMENT.
    6) Define the following policies, giving "ADMINISTRATORS" these rights:
    Backup Files and Directories
    Restore Files and Directories
    Manage auditing and security log
    Take ownership of files or other objects
    Debug programs (only required for Hot-patching)
    This is the solution. But in order to test the solution, you must do the
    following:
    7) Wait for Active Directory replication to take place (or force it to take
    place using Active Directory Sites & Services).
    8) Wait for the policy to apply to the client machine (or force it to apply
    by typing this at a command prompt on the client:
    On a Windows 2000 client: SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY MACHINE_POLICY
    /ENFORCE
    On a Windows XP client: GPUPDATE /FORCE
    9) You should now be able to complete your install (SP2 on your XP machine,
    Security updates on Windows 2000 machine, etc)

    Hope this helps.

    Jacky Gu

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
    support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
    situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
    Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

    This and other support options are available here:
    BCPS:
    https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
    Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

    Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

    --------------------
    | From: "=?Utf-8?B?UmV4IEtyZW1lcg==?=" <rex@news.postalias>
    | Subject: RE: Error while installing "Windows Installer update "
    | Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 07:12:03 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    |
    | It is installed.
    |
    | "jerryrock" wrote:
    |
    | > Have you installed the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool?
    | >
    | > "Rex Kremer" wrote:
    | >
    | > > Hi,
    | > >
    | > > when i am installing the update (manually) an error occure
    | > > "you dont have the right to update windows xp"
    | > > I have local admin rights on the pc.
    | > >
    | > > When i am updating the patches via SUS it just fails without a
    mesasge.

    | > > Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1
    | > > Update for Windows XP (KB898461)

Windows Installer Microsoft Windows XP