Error while installing "Windows Installer update "

Tags:
  • Windows Installer
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
August 15, 2005 9:47:10 AM

Hi,

when i am installing the update (manually) an error occure
"you dont have the right to update windows xp"
I have local admin rights on the pc.

When i am updating the patches via SUS it just fails without a mesasge.

Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1
Update for Windows XP (KB898461)

More about : error installing windows installer update

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 10:59:08 AM

Have you installed the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool?

"Rex Kremer" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> when i am installing the update (manually) an error occure
> "you dont have the right to update windows xp"
> I have local admin rights on the pc.
>
> When i am updating the patches via SUS it just fails without a mesasge.

> Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1
> Update for Windows XP (KB898461)

August 15, 2005 11:12:03 AM

It is installed.

"jerryrock" wrote:

> Have you installed the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool?
>
> "Rex Kremer" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > when i am installing the update (manually) an error occure
> > "you dont have the right to update windows xp"
> > I have local admin rights on the pc.
> >
> > When i am updating the patches via SUS it just fails without a mesasge.

> > Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1
> > Update for Windows XP (KB898461)

August 16, 2005 1:56:59 PM

Hi Rex,

We may need more information for the further analysis.

Please help us gather a MPS Report file:

- Download the MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE file from the following website:

http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=CE...
-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en

- Double-click to run the MPSRPT_SUS.EXE file and wait for it to complete.
- Send me the .cab file generated in the following folder:
%systemroot%\MPSReports\Setup\<Report Type>\Cab

Also, you may perform the following steps to see if this problem can be
eliminated:
1) Open Active Directory Users & Computers.
2) Right click on the domain and choose PROPERTIES.
3) Click the GROUP POLICY tab.
4) Highlight DEFAULT DOMAIN POLICY and click EDIT.
5) Expand COMPUTER CONFIGURATION-WINDOWS SETTINGS-SECURITY SETTINGS-LOCAL
POLICIES-USERS RIGHTS ASSIGNMENT.
6) Define the following policies, giving "ADMINISTRATORS" these rights:
Backup Files and Directories
Restore Files and Directories
Manage auditing and security log
Take ownership of files or other objects
Debug programs (only required for Hot-patching)
This is the solution. But in order to test the solution, you must do the
following:
7) Wait for Active Directory replication to take place (or force it to take
place using Active Directory Sites & Services).
8) Wait for the policy to apply to the client machine (or force it to apply
by typing this at a command prompt on the client:
On a Windows 2000 client: SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY MACHINE_POLICY
/ENFORCE
On a Windows XP client: GPUPDATE /FORCE
9) You should now be able to complete your install (SP2 on your XP machine,
Security updates on Windows 2000 machine, etc)

Hope this helps.

Jacky Gu

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

This and other support options are available here:
BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/suppo...
Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/suppo...

Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx