Tags:
  • Flat Panel Monitors
  • Resolution
  • Monitors
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 27, 2010 5:37:53 PM

Hello.

I'm thinking of getting a new LCD but i have a question. I've been searching everywhere for an answer but i haven't found one.

The new monitor i plan on purchasing will be 24 inch and i have decided on an 16:9 format (1920x1080 default resolution). In games i probably won't be able to get decent fps by using this resolution so i'm probably going to play on a lower one.

From what i can see not many monitors have 1:1 pixel mapping options when running in a different resolution to the default one. My question is this, if the monitor i will purchase won't have hardware 1:1 scaling, will i be able to do this scaling from my GFX card options so that the screen won't be stretched (ie i'd like the screen to be windowboxed instead).

Thanks.

More about : gpu scaling

March 9, 2010 3:30:55 AM

I would also like the answer to this. Thanks.
a c 196 C Monitor
March 9, 2010 5:12:40 AM

Both nVidia and AMD video cards allows you to scale the screen to the exact resolution you want without stretching to fill the screen. nVidia cards have been able to do this before AMD cards.

Not sure how to do it on nVidia cards, but for AMD cards it is as follows:

1. Open CCC
2. In Display Manager Tab - Set your resolution
3. Go to Digital Panel (DVI), then Attributes
4. Check off Enable GPU Scaling
5. Choose Use Center Timings
6. Click Apply

BTW, Xbox 360 and PS3 consoles renders games at like 1366 x 768, then scales them up to fill the 1920 x 1080 resolution of a HDTV. So stretching a PC game to fill the entire screen should not look too bad.
!