Mouse Possessed even after OS Re-Install

August 15, 2005 10:19:48 AM

This is most strange. We have an Inspiron 8200 Laptop. The mouse just
moves when ever and where ever it likes ... sometimes you over ride it
with the mouse, other times, it makes its way to the corner, and it can
not be moved away. The mouse is a usb mouse. We have tried, switching
out the mouse, switching usb ports, tried using it in a ps2 port, tried
disabeling the touch pad in the bios, ... we have even tried a
re-install of the OS. NOTHING WORKED. Anyway, if someone has an
explination for this I am all ears ... I can not see how it could be a
hardware problem ... but we have switched out everything software
related ....

Thank you ,
Peter
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 10:30:10 AM

I am also having the same problem!!

Please help,
Patrick
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 12:29:05 PM

I have a similar Dell Inspirion 8200. The issue you are having
is related to a defective video adapter. Contact Dell support
and ask them to replace the video adapter, even if your unit
is out of warranty. This is a known Dell issue. During the
manufacturing process, some Dell Inspiron 8200 notebooks
were assembled without a required thermal shield for the
video adapter. This is a manufacturing defect.

Welcome to Dell Support
http://support.dell.com/home.aspx

Welcome to Dell Community Forums
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"peter.marshall" wrote:

| This is most strange. We have an Inspiron 8200 Laptop. The mouse just
| moves when ever and where ever it likes ... sometimes you over ride it
| with the mouse, other times, it makes its way to the corner, and it can
| not be moved away. The mouse is a usb mouse. We have tried, switching
| out the mouse, switching usb ports, tried using it in a ps2 port, tried
| disabeling the touch pad in the bios, ... we have even tried a
| re-install of the OS. NOTHING WORKED. Anyway, if someone has an
| explination for this I am all ears ... I can not see how it could be a
| hardware problem ... but we have switched out everything software
| related ....
|

| Thank you ,
| Peter
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 7:08:57 PM

<peter.marshall@caris.com> wrote in message
> This is most strange. We have an Inspiron 8200 Laptop. The mouse just
> moves when ever and where ever it likes ... sometimes you over ride it
> with the mouse, other times, it makes its way to the corner, and it can
> not be moved away. The mouse is a usb mouse. We have tried, switching
> out the mouse, switching usb ports, tried using it in a ps2 port, tried
> disabeling the touch pad in the bios, ... we have even tried a
> re-install of the OS. NOTHING WORKED. Anyway, if someone has an
> explination for this I am all ears ... I can not see how it could be a
> hardware problem ... but we have switched out everything software
> related ....
>

> Thank you ,
> Peter

I don't know about this particular type of Dell laptop, but Dell used to
have a problem with the mouse wandering and this was related to the
touch-pad. It would be worth checking whether there is an updated driver for
the touch-pad. I also seem to remember that there was a procedure for
recalibrating the touch-pad, I don't remember where so you'll have to search
the dell site for it.

Hope this helps,

Brian.

www.cryer.co.uk/brian