Mouse Possessed even after OS Re-Install

This is most strange. We have an Inspiron 8200 Laptop. The mouse just
moves when ever and where ever it likes ... sometimes you over ride it
with the mouse, other times, it makes its way to the corner, and it can
not be moved away. The mouse is a usb mouse. We have tried, switching
out the mouse, switching usb ports, tried using it in a ps2 port, tried
disabeling the touch pad in the bios, ... we have even tried a
re-install of the OS. NOTHING WORKED. Anyway, if someone has an
explination for this I am all ears ... I can not see how it could be a
hardware problem ... but we have switched out everything software
related ....

Thank you ,
Peter
3 answers Last reply
More about mouse possessed install

    I am also having the same problem!!

    Please help,
    Patrick

    I have a similar Dell Inspirion 8200. The issue you are having
    is related to a defective video adapter. Contact Dell support
    and ask them to replace the video adapter, even if your unit
    is out of warranty. This is a known Dell issue. During the
    manufacturing process, some Dell Inspiron 8200 notebooks
    were assembled without a required thermal shield for the
    video adapter. This is a manufacturing defect.

    Welcome to Dell Support
    http://support.dell.com/home.aspx

    Welcome to Dell Community Forums
    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    <peter.marshall@caris.com> wrote in message
    > This is most strange. We have an Inspiron 8200 Laptop. The mouse just
    > moves when ever and where ever it likes ... sometimes you over ride it
    > with the mouse, other times, it makes its way to the corner, and it can
    > not be moved away. The mouse is a usb mouse. We have tried, switching
    > out the mouse, switching usb ports, tried using it in a ps2 port, tried
    > disabeling the touch pad in the bios, ... we have even tried a
    > re-install of the OS. NOTHING WORKED. Anyway, if someone has an
    > explination for this I am all ears ... I can not see how it could be a
    > hardware problem ... but we have switched out everything software
    > related ....
    >

    > Thank you ,
    > Peter

    I don't know about this particular type of Dell laptop, but Dell used to
    have a problem with the mouse wandering and this was related to the
    touch-pad. It would be worth checking whether there is an updated driver for
    the touch-pad. I also seem to remember that there was a procedure for
    recalibrating the touch-pad, I don't remember where so you'll have to search
    the dell site for it.

    Hope this helps,

    Brian.

    www.cryer.co.uk/brian