Windows failed to start. the windows boot configuration data file is missing req

xR0Bx

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
Hello,
I was trying to get my laptop to boot into safe mode to get rid of a file. I went to msconfig and picked Safe Boot, after I restarted my laptop, I got the message:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have the disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: The Windows Boot Configuration Data file is missing required information.

When I hit enter, it just restarts my laptop and brings me to the same screen. My laptop did not come with a installation disc.. The only thing I did was change a setting which I thought was going to boot me into safemode in msconfig. Can somebody please help me determine a solution? Thanks.

rdc85

Honorable
We don't usually go to "Safe Mode" from msconfig but via pressing F8 before the OS start..

It's look like u chose "Safe Boot" at msconfig .........

I would like u try using F8 to get to safe mode and re-modified the msconfig to normal boot...

If it cannot get to safe mode try using last known good configuration still via F8

Need to repair your MBR, this entails using a Windows Install disk, Windows Repair disk, or a utility disk like Hiren's. To create a disk you will need access to another PC and of course a blank disk. Meanwhile, if you have all your data backed up, you could try to restore your OS to Factory settings employing te Recovery Partition on your HDD. Instructions in your Manual, or post your Laptop Make/model for advice. This will revert your system to the same as when you bought it, but removes all peronal data and settings.

xR0Bx

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
Thanks for your response.

I'm getting an installation disk in about an hour. If that fails, I'll try the other options you listed. I'd really rather not do a factory reset. I'll post my results soon, thanks again.

edj2125

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
have same problem can access "F8" tried a few times - Would like to restore to factory settings.
computer is :-
COMPAQ PRESARIO CQ61-425EA NOTEBOOK using windows7 purchase in 2010. Please advise how to do this, obviously I have access to another computer.

Should start your own thread. Meanwhile try F11 at Power on to access your Recovery Partition...