Recycle a Library GP6-433C

ME

Hello,
I am trying to recycle/revive a surplussed Library machine for my
nephew. A GP6-433C. Machine was delivered F&F'd with no CD-ROM and
no OS. I installed a CD-ROM and W98SE, however, I cannot get
Gateway's Audio or Video drivers to install and the USB ports are
dead, although USBReady says they exist and my OS supports them, but
they are "not connected".

So, my questions:
1. Onboard video is reported to be a Rage "R", which ATI seems never
to have heard of. I thought it was Rage-Pro compatible, but the
install doesn't like that driver. It soes not match my hardware. Is
there another?

2. Same song for the audio, Gateway says it is a SB PCI 128, but
although it installs, I get no sound except a pop when the machine
powers down, which says to me that the chip is at least working. Is
there a jumper to disable onboard sound? I could see that for use in
a library .

3. Finally, for the USB, same question, is there a jumper to disable
USB? Any other thoughts why or how the USB ports would be
"disconnected"?

Thanks,
Cjon

There are no jumpers for enabling or disabling USB or audio. Instead, look in
the motherboard BIOS setup for these options.

As for the video, it is on the motherboard? If so or even if not, examine the
video chip, write down its markings and use to find a driver on the ATI web
site. If the video is a freestanding card, ATI's web site has a whole section
dedicated to identifying its cards... Ben Myers

On Sun, 30 May 2004 18:50:58 GMT, not_today@nor.tomorrow.not (Me) wrote:

>Hello,
>I am trying to recycle/revive a surplussed Library machine for my
>nephew. A GP6-433C. Machine was delivered F&F'd with no CD-ROM and
>no OS. I installed a CD-ROM and W98SE, however, I cannot get
>Gateway's Audio or Video drivers to install and the USB ports are
>dead, although USBReady says they exist and my OS supports them, but
>they are "not connected".
>
>So, my questions:
>1. Onboard video is reported to be a Rage "R", which ATI seems never
>to have heard of. I thought it was Rage-Pro compatible, but the
>install doesn't like that driver. It soes not match my hardware. Is
>there another?
>
>2. Same song for the audio, Gateway says it is a SB PCI 128, but
>although it installs, I get no sound except a pop when the machine
>powers down, which says to me that the chip is at least working. Is
>there a jumper to disable onboard sound? I could see that for use in
>a library .
>
>3. Finally, for the USB, same question, is there a jumper to disable
>USB? Any other thoughts why or how the USB ports would be
>"disconnected"?
>
>Thanks,
>Cjon

Ummm....i don't know if you figured it out...but i'll say it
anyway...i have the same system and the video is a Rage 128 VR...i
didn't find any info on ATI.com but i did find some drivers on...i
think driverguide.com....just in case...and any info on the sound
would be really helpfull...