Bracket question

I am a little confused ... If I only order one drive (say DVD) on a
system, if I want to add another one later (say CD-RW), can I just buy
a new device and be able to install it or will I be short the brackets
that would hold the extra device? I've read a couple of posts that
indicate I would have to buy brackets to hold it and that it has a
tendency to take a long time for the brackets to be delivered. Can
anybody straighten me out?

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about bracket question

    gcarter26@yahoo.com (Greg Carter) wrote:

    >I am a little confused ... If I only order one drive (say DVD) on a
    >system, if I want to add another one later (say CD-RW), can I just buy
    >a new device and be able to install it or will I be short the brackets
    >that would hold the extra device? I've read a couple of posts that
    >indicate I would have to buy brackets to hold it and that it has a
    >tendency to take a long time for the brackets to be delivered. Can
    >anybody straighten me out?

    You didn't indicate a model #, but AFAIK Dell hasn't discontinued
    their policy of including mounting rails/screws to cover every
    empty bay in the machine you buy. Heck, when I installed a
    second HD in my D4400, I found enough rails in there to cover
    every bay, even the ones that came filled.

    I suspect the posts you're speaking of address the unique
    situation where a person didn't order their machine with the now
    optional 3-1/2" floppy drive, and then wanted to install one from
    an old machine they had laying around. [After all, doesn't
    everyone who has been at this pc thing for a while have a box[es]
    lying about with enough assorted parts to build at least one
    computer, more likely two, from scratch?] That situation seems
    to have been unanticipated by Dell and floppy mounting hardware
    wasn't provided, although if one orders the floppy drive from
    Dell, it comes with what's needed to mount it.
    --
    OJ III
    [Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

    assuming that you are talking about dimension desktops... no brackets are
    necessary for the two external 5.25" drive bays in the dimension 2400, 4600,
    8300. the 4600c has no expansion for a second external drive. the
    dimension 2400 does not have a spare/available internal hard disk drive
    bracket but the other models do. this is what you have probably heard
    banter about. also, if you order a system without the 3.5" floppy drive you
    will need a bracket to install your own floppy into that slot (or just get
    the kit from dell with floppy drive and bracket).

    "Greg Carter" <gcarter26@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I am a little confused ... If I only order one drive (say DVD) on a
    > system, if I want to add another one later (say CD-RW), can I just buy
    > a new device and be able to install it or will I be short the brackets
    > that would hold the extra device? I've read a couple of posts that
    > indicate I would have to buy brackets to hold it and that it has a
    > tendency to take a long time for the brackets to be delivered. Can
    > anybody straighten me out?
    >
    > Thanks

    He might be referring to the mythical bracket to add a second hard drive to
    a Dimension 2400. Since Dell doesn't officially support a second drive, they
    don't seem to be shipping the bracket.

    Tom
    "Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > gcarter26@yahoo.com (Greg Carter) wrote:
    >
    > >I am a little confused ... If I only order one drive (say DVD) on a
    > >system, if I want to add another one later (say CD-RW), can I just buy
    > >a new device and be able to install it or will I be short the brackets
    > >that would hold the extra device? I've read a couple of posts that
    > >indicate I would have to buy brackets to hold it and that it has a
    > >tendency to take a long time for the brackets to be delivered. Can
    > >anybody straighten me out?
    >
    > You didn't indicate a model #, but AFAIK Dell hasn't discontinued
    > their policy of including mounting rails/screws to cover every
    > empty bay in the machine you buy. Heck, when I installed a
    > second HD in my D4400, I found enough rails in there to cover
    > every bay, even the ones that came filled.
    >
    > I suspect the posts you're speaking of address the unique
    > situation where a person didn't order their machine with the now
    > optional 3-1/2" floppy drive, and then wanted to install one from
    > an old machine they had laying around. [After all, doesn't
    > everyone who has been at this pc thing for a while have a box[es]
    > lying about with enough assorted parts to build at least one
    > computer, more likely two, from scratch?] That situation seems
    > to have been unanticipated by Dell and floppy mounting hardware
    > wasn't provided, although if one orders the floppy drive from
    > Dell, it comes with what's needed to mount it.
    > --
    > OJ III
    > [Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.
    > Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

Dell Devices Computers