system configuration utility/startup folder

August 15, 2005 10:52:05 AM

after installing and uninstalling programs the startup folder in the system
configuration utility becomes a mess
i was wondering if there is a way to clean it without reinstalling windows XP
thanks

More about : system configuration utility startup folder

August 15, 2005 11:07:04 AM

Well I'm not too sure how familiar you are with the registry.

But if you look at the columns in the msconfig utilties startup tab , you
can find which key that app might have used to start-up.

Most likely HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
OR

If you are certain that the application is no longer in use then you can
nail it in one of the above keys.
I'd also suggest having a look at your program files folder , if you do not
plan on reinstalling the package , you can free up some clutter here too.

I'm not sure of any apps that can pick up orphan reg-keys like these , I'm
not fond of the damage most regitry cleaning tools cause , but maybe I'm the
only one.

--
________
NIC

"planet78" <planet78@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> after installing and uninstalling programs the startup folder in the
> system
> configuration utility becomes a mess
> i was wondering if there is a way to clean it without reinstalling windows
> XP
> thanks

If you are talking about WIN XP MSCONFIG try this link:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm Line 148 Right Hand column.

Cajunswabbie
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 1:14:26 AM