Funhouse, STNNG,OR Fishtales

I am thinking about a third pin. Which of the three gets your vote
considering they are all in the $2,200 range?

Thanks currently,
TZ
T2
Funhouse STNNG or Fishtales next??

Few things in life are cooler than a mechanical talking head. That
being said, it is simply NO CONTEST. STTNG is the best playing of that
bunch by far.

Fish Tales and FH are also great games but you gotta go with the STTNG
here.

extech wrote:
> I am thinking about a third pin. Which of the three gets your vote
> considering they are all in the $2,200 range?
>
> Thanks currently,
> TZ
> T2
> Funhouse STNNG or Fishtales next??

Are you really an ex-tech? If not, I'd stay away from STTNG. Lot's of
things to go wrong on that one. But... STTNG is my favorite of the
three. But as always, play all 3 and buy the one you like best.

I am a newbie pinball guy and STTNG gave me issues. However, you have
to learn sometime and the game is great. If you dont know repairs, the
game will force you to learn and understand. Optos dont scare me the
slightest anymore. I 'd say don't let the fear of repair dictate what
game you buy.

For $2200, you're likely to get a BUTT-UGLY FH. Have you seen what
those puppies are fetching these days? Cool theme, awesome art and
design (for its era), but shallow ruleset, IMHO. Of course, all
rulesets were shallow then. Anyway, to me, the value of FH is its
appearance. Unless it's really nice, it's a questionable buy. I had a
FT, but tired of it quickly. And the music blows. STTNG is a great
game when it works. I don't DARE own one, being the technical
ignoramus that I am. If you know what you're doing in that arena, get
the STTNG.

I like Funhouse the best out of those, but one in the $2200 range is
going to be a fixer-upper most likely.

well extech in the computer world...I'm learning on pinballs..flipper
rebuilds, switches..that is the extent so far..

STTNG hands down
I have had two FH's and sold them both with no regrets
as for FT never liked the game
Ray

extech wrote:
> I am thinking about a third pin. Which of the three gets your vote
> considering they are all in the $2,200 range?
>
> Thanks currently,
> TZ
> T2
> Funhouse STNNG or Fishtales next??

Since you already have one game with a rotating gun, I'd say FH. Beats
FT by a country mile.

He already has a Lawlor game also ;).

Condition is very important.
If the STTNG is beat and the FT is mint, go with the FT. FT, while
definetely not a top 10 pin is a lot of fun, especialy over a nightmare
of a STTNG.

-c

CraigC -Chicago- wrote:
> Condition is very important.
> If the STTNG is beat and the FT is mint, go with the FT. FT, while
> definetely not a top 10 pin is a lot of fun, especialy over a nightmare
> of a STTNG.

What about a FT with three boat ramps installed? :)

STtNG.

(It has the most in usable parts, too.) ;)

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
=================================

extech wrote:
> I am thinking about a third pin. Which of the three gets your vote
> considering they are all in the $2,200 range?

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Go for the STTNG, by far the best pin of those and a top 10 pin without
a doubt.

Brad

IJ, STTNG, The Getaway, Flash, BK, and Tommy

otto

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001

I have them all.

They are all totally different.

Noone here has your taste.

With that said, let's look at what you have and get you some variety:

You already have a TZ--Lawlor stop and pop type of game. FH is the same
designer and has the stop and pop.

T2 you already have--A Steve Ritchie design as is Sttng.

That leaves FT. Designed by Mark Ritchie. You don't have him yet. Do you
like fishing? Do you like the artwork? Have you ever played it? You can
pick one of these up for less than 2200. It may not be minty collector
quality nib/huo, but you can get a pretty nice one under 2k. If all three
machines were in similar condition(unlikely), my bet is the FT would have
the lowest price.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=fish+tales&sortby=name&searchtype=quick

It is not the deepest game or the toughest game but I think it will add the
most variety to your growing line up. The theme is wonderful, especially if
you have a fishing background, the artwork is beautiful, and it is a
relatively simple title to shop/maintain/restore. It appeals to all age
groups and most skill levels. If you are a real ringer of a pinball player
and this were you only pin, you would get bored with it quickly.

So it really comes down to what you are trying to achieve. If it is variety
or picking up the least expensive title, go with the FT. If you are a big
trekky and want the hardest game, go with the Sttng. If you like blue
cabinets, talking heads, and carney themes, go with FH.

CARGPB11

"extech" <rjv2@berkshire.rr.com> wrote in message
>I am thinking about a third pin. Which of the three gets your vote
> considering they are all in the $2,200 range?
>
> Thanks currently,
> TZ
> T2
> Funhouse STNNG or Fishtales next??

I had a STTNG, and FT both bought about the same time. The FT had no
issues the STTNG had opto issues out the butt. I completly enjoyed the
road to getting the STTNG up and working and was a GREAT learning experience
for me. I am a 20+ year computer/server tech by trade so working on pins is
not that much dif to me really but I can say the opto issues I had did cause
come hair pulling till I finially tracked it down to bad LM339's. The
trough board had 3 bad LM's and the 16 opto board had bad ones on it too.

With all that being said my current collection is STTNG, Getaway, and Wh20.
Sold the FT off a few months ago. FT was fun for a month or 2 but it got
very old very fast. There is alot more to do on STTNG and of course its a
widebody pin so that is a bonus too.

As for FH, I have never played one, and my wife wont even let me hardly look
at one. She cant stand having as she puts it bodyless heads on the
playfield it creeps her out.

My kinda holy grail pin is CV and I am having one hell of a time getting her
to even consider letting me get one someday.

Dave

"extech" <rjv2@berkshire.rr.com> wrote in message
> I am thinking about a third pin. Which of the three gets your vote
> considering they are all in the $2,200 range?
>
> Thanks currently,
> TZ
> T2
> Funhouse STNNG or Fishtales next??

Maybe, yeah.. ST:TNG would be a great game to go along with that lineup.
Especially if you're a fan of Trek and Next Gen.

Personally though, I'd choose FT just to give the collection a little
variety theme-wise. TZ and T2 are somewhat "darker" themes and darker
games. FT is a little brighter, goofier and sillier.

Just a thought. :)

On 30 Jun 2005 08:02:50 -0700, "extech" <rjv2@berkshire.rr.com> wrote:
>I am thinking about a third pin. Which of the three gets your vote
>considering they are all in the $2,200 range?
>Thanks currently,
>TZ
>T2
>Funhouse STNNG or Fishtales next??

Depends what YOU value.

Most challenging - ST*NG
Best comedy - Fisht*tale
Crowd pleezer, funnest - F*H, (Rudy)

Personally, I mostly go for challenge, but have been know to stray to
the fun side.

Freeman
I would rather be happy then right.

Andy

I've had a nice FT and a nice ST:TNG and I sold them both. FH is my all
time favorite, and I had mine prefessionally restored by Chris over at
www.highendpins.com

Andy

www.charlottepinball.com

"extech" <rjv2@berkshire.rr.com> wrote in message
>I am thinking about a third pin. Which of the three gets your vote
> considering they are all in the $2,200 range?
>
> Thanks currently,
> TZ
> T2
> Funhouse STNNG or Fishtales next??

I'm down to funhouse or STNNG. I need to find both of them and play
them. Both machines are a ways from each other so i need to get to
see/play them locally..The mechanics on the STNNG concern me but surely
the TZ mechanically at least, must be close no?

I just traded off my FT, kept the STTNG. I never liked FH well enough to
bring it home. Actions speak louder than words.

Mark Hooks

"extech" <rjv2@berkshire.rr.com> wrote in message
>I am thinking about a third pin. Which of the three gets your vote
> considering they are all in the $2,200 range?
>
> Thanks currently,
> TZ
> T2
> Funhouse STNNG or Fishtales next??

I own both STTNG and FH. If I had to choose between them, it would be
tough, but I think STTNG would win in the end. There's just more
there. FH I play a lot, but it is shallow. Good for a fast game and a
crowd pleaser for sure, but STTNG is MUCH more of a playa's game.

h_h