Sign in with
Your question

Questions about laptops connecting to desktops?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
January 30, 2010 9:17:46 AM

Hello
My laptop screen is broken and you cant see it. So i was wondering how i can hook it up to my desktop so i can download my files.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 30, 2010 9:39:35 AM

krystal1975 said:
Hello
My laptop screen is broken and you cant see it. So i was wondering how i can hook it up to my desktop so i can download my files.

First, ensure that the laptop and desktop are networked either through a hub or a crossover cable and have proper IP addresses.

On your desktop, share a folder where you want to place your files from your laptop. Make sure that you write-enable the folder on your desktop. Then, you can disconnect your monitor from the desktop and connect it to your laptop (VGA port). Once you turn your laptop on, you'll see the output on the external monitor.

Open windows explorer and just type on the address bar the shared folder name after \\ . (example. \\myfolder )

And you can just copy and paste from there.
Hope this helps.
January 30, 2010 9:41:46 AM

Quote:
First, ensure that the laptop and desktop are networked either through a hub or a crossover cable and have proper IP addresses.

On your desktop, share a folder where you want to place your files from your laptop. Make sure that you write-enable the folder on your desktop. Then, you can disconnect your monitor from the desktop and connect it to your laptop (VGA port). Once you turn your laptop on, you'll see the output on the external monitor.

Open windows explorer and just type on the address bar the shared folder name after \\ . (example. \\myfolder )

And you can just copy and paste from there.
Hope this helps.

i cannot see my laptop screen because its cracked. im needing to download all my pics,schoolwoork and files from the laptop.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 30, 2010 10:09:52 AM

check the cable running from your monitor to your desktop. check if it can be connected to one of your laptop's ports (VGA 15-pin port). If so, connect it to the laptop and turn the laptop on. You will see that the output will be sent out to the desktop monitor.

http://oit.wvu.edu/ctec/files/2009/01/laptop_vga-large....
April 29, 2010 8:19:17 PM

Can the opposite be done? My desktop monitor went out so can I hook up my laptop to my desktop and use the laptop screen to see my desktop files?
!