Can't Turn Wireless Network Back On

Bruce

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I've got an Inspiron 8600, Windows XP Home, SP1.

I disconnected from my wireless network connection by pressing Fn F2, and
now I can't seem to get the signal back. This is the first time I've
done this. (I just wanted to see how the Fn F2 worked. I've been
connecting to my wireless network just fine for nearly 9 months.)

My network connections window has Wireless Network Connection listed, but
as unavailable.

A right click properties shows that I have "Use Windows to configure my
wireless network settings" enabled (as it always has been), but there are
no available networks listed. The network is listed in "Preferred
networks", though.

I have an Inspiron 6000 XP Home, SP2 running right next to the 8600, and
it is connected to the wireless network (strong signal, too) just fine.

What have I done?

Thanks,

"Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message
> I've got an Inspiron 8600, Windows XP Home, SP1.
>
> I disconnected from my wireless network connection by pressing Fn F2, and
> now I can't seem to get the signal back. This is the first time I've
> done this. (I just wanted to see how the Fn F2 worked. I've been
> connecting to my wireless network just fine for nearly 9 months.)
>
> My network connections window has Wireless Network Connection listed, but
> as unavailable.
>
> A right click properties shows that I have "Use Windows to configure my
> wireless network settings" enabled (as it always has been), but there are
> no available networks listed. The network is listed in "Preferred
> networks", though.
>
> I have an Inspiron 6000 XP Home, SP2 running right next to the 8600, and
> it is connected to the wireless network (strong signal, too) just fine.
>
> What have I done?
>
> Thanks,
> Bruce

both my desktop and Dell M60 have "Use Windows to configure my
wireless network settings" disabled.............if its enabled I get no
connection. What wireless system and hardware are you running.

dj

David

Bruce wrote:
> disconnected from my wireless network connection by pressing Fn F2,
and
> now I can't seem to get the signal back.

This maybe a dumb question...but have you
simply just hit the Fn F2 again to turn it
back on. That is what the manual online seems
to suggest.
Dave

"A Supporter" <STS@FBCbtinternet.com> wrote in

> "Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> I've got an Inspiron 8600, Windows XP Home, SP1.
>>
>> I disconnected from my wireless network connection by pressing Fn F2,
>> and now I can't seem to get the signal back. This is the first time
>> I've done this. (I just wanted to see how the Fn F2 worked. I've
>> been connecting to my wireless network just fine for nearly 9
>> months.)
>>
>> My network connections window has Wireless Network Connection listed,
>> but as unavailable.
>>
>> A right click properties shows that I have "Use Windows to configure
>> my wireless network settings" enabled (as it always has been), but
>> there are no available networks listed. The network is listed in
>> "Preferred networks", though.
>>
>> I have an Inspiron 6000 XP Home, SP2 running right next to the 8600,
>> and it is connected to the wireless network (strong signal, too) just
>> fine.
>>
>> What have I done?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bruce
>
> both my desktop and Dell M60 have "Use Windows to configure my
> wireless network settings" disabled.............if its enabled I get
> no connection. What wireless system and hardware are you running.
>
> dj

Hi,

The machine is a Dell Inspiron 8600 with an Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG card.
Normally, "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" is
enabled, but I did try disabling it. No luck.

"David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in news:1111722747.134459.298180
@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> Bruce wrote:
>> disconnected from my wireless network connection by pressing Fn F2,
> and
>> now I can't seem to get the signal back.
>

> This maybe a dumb question...but have you
> simply just hit the Fn F2 again to turn it
> back on. That is what the manual online seems
> to suggest.
> Dave

Hi, Dave,

Yep, that was the first thing I did, Fn F2...

But, after a system restore to an earlier time when the wireless
connection did work (a day earlier) failed to cure the problem, I finally
decided to uninstall the wireless connection, and reinstall it. That
fixed the problem. I don't think I'll hit the Fn F2 again. (Well, being
the inquisitive type, I probably will. <g> )

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I had a similar problem with my 1150. I ended up going into the device
manager and enabling the card that way.

> "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in news:1111722747.134459.298180
> @l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Bruce wrote:
>>> disconnected from my wireless network connection by pressing Fn F2,
>> and
>>> now I can't seem to get the signal back.
>>

>> This maybe a dumb question...but have you
>> simply just hit the Fn F2 again to turn it
>> back on. That is what the manual online seems
>> to suggest.
>> Dave
>>

> Hi, Dave,
>
> Yep, that was the first thing I did, Fn F2...
>
> But, after a system restore to an earlier time when the wireless
> connection did work (a day earlier) failed to cure the problem, I finally
> decided to uninstall the wireless connection, and reinstall it. That
> fixed the problem. I don't think I'll hit the Fn F2 again. (Well, being
> the inquisitive type, I probably will. <g> )

Al

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

My 8600, which has the same wireless caed uses Broacom Advance Control to
configure the wireless card. Windows Wireless Connection won,t turn it on or
off. Also if use go into the control panel there is an Icon for the Intel
Pro/Wireless card, (or at least mine does). I've had to go under the network
tab nd click connect to get mine back on once.
Al