Whitewater opinion

I've had this game for over a month and worked out all the kinks- I'm
ready to bitch about it.

In my opinion, Whitewater makes a much better alleged Presidential
scandal than a pinball machine.

I like: The big ass left ramp and bigfoot. The Vacation Planner feature
is great in that it is extremely difficult to achieve. This is the one
thing lured me to press start on a game I didn't really enjoy that
much, trying to get class 6 river in one ball is tough enough. Haven't
got Vacation planner yet. I like the upper playfield design though the
two shots are VERY easy.

The rest of the game I found very blah. It just didn't come together
too well for me. The game lacked flow for a machine with so many ramps.
Very stop and go, and the ball is always swirling down a useless
sensorless whirlpool, or resting down in a hole somewhere. The ruleset
is not very user friendly. The game doesn't have that "play it alot and
the rules just sink in" feel that I like in the best Williams games.
Even referencing the rule card doesn't really do it- I had to go to an
online ruleset to really see what they were getting at with Vacation
Planner.

My biggest complaint, and biggest turnoff on this game is the sound. I
LOATHED the sound on this machine, it is the worst of any WPC game I
have owned.

The music is absolutely atrocious. Seriously. I've heard people here
say they love it...why?! It sounds like the theme song to a late 1980s
talk show. "Today on 'Susie', Bigfoot makeovers!" It is really bad man.
All the other sound effects are equally revolting. The constant
swishing makes me want to piss. The 'heads up' noises for whenever the
constantly dissapearing ball is about to pop up is obnoxious. The tour
guide's voice is supposed to be cute but is again abrasive and
annoying. ABout the only sound I like is Bigfoot.

The game just doesn't come together for me. It's not a BAD player but
for me at best average, and the rest of the package was so off-putting
to me that I can't say it's a good game.

I'll file this one with Shadow, a supposedly "overlooked,"
"Underpriced," "sleeper" game that is none of the above. It gets the
price, respect, and overall value it deserves, despite a vocal minority
that tries to puff up its rep.

I like it.

-Tom

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8f4tt/tomstwilightzonepinballmachineaccessories/

I use to own it, i sold it for 1350, i didnt like the game at all, the
only part that i really liked was when the dog howled....some people
like it but i dont...but then again, i like Viper night drivin too...so
who am i to say what is good and what isnt fun....

brivy

You could just sell it to me for cheap and i will take it off your
hands
Ray

lscott

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005

> The rest of the game I found very blah. It just didn't come together
> too well for me. The game lacked flow for a machine with so many ramps.
> Very stop and go, and the ball is always swirling down a useless
> sensorless whirlpool, or resting down in a hole somewhere. The ruleset

The Whirlpool is a timewaster, but you should only shoot it when its
lit anyway.. it feeds the dangerous lost mine kickout, so avoid
shooting it unlit. Also, the whirlpool bowl adds an extra dimension to
multiball - shoot a ball in it and, assuming the tilt isn't
super-tight, you can rock the machine just enough to keep the one ball
going round and round while scoring with the other one. Great for
Whirlpool Challenge.

> is not very user friendly. The game doesn't have that "play it alot and
> the rules just sink in" feel that I like in the best Williams games.
> Even referencing the rule card doesn't really do it- I had to go to an
> online ruleset to really see what they were getting at with Vacation
> Planner.

Well, the Vacation Planner is more of a bonus feature, somewhat vague
to entice players to discover it. The main features - advancing the
raft to Wet Willies and collecting Whirlpool awards - are pretty
straightforward. Also, if you watch the attract mode, it goes over the
Vacation requirements.

> The music is absolutely atrocious. Seriously. I've heard people here
> say they love it...why?! It sounds like the theme song to a late 1980s
> talk show. "Today on 'Susie', Bigfoot makeovers!" It is really bad man.

To each their own. I don't care much for the background music til you
get to raft 10 and beyond, but then it rocks. I *do* really like the
way it keeps building and getting faster the furthur you get. The
other tunes (multiball, 5x, hotfoot) are good and fit the theme of the
game fine. But, I can see how a city boy wouldn't care for hillbilly
tunes :)

> price, respect, and overall value it deserves, despite a vocal minority
> that tries to puff up its rep.

I tend to think YOU are in the minority here.. Prices on this game
have almost doubled over the last couple years, and finding a nice one
for sale is extremely difficult. There are a few detractors.. you,
fred, etc. but most folks I know love the game. No biggie, just sell
or trade it to someone who appreciates it :)

The music tracks in the game fit to the whitewater rafting-theme of the
game perfectly, in my opinion. Chris nailed it on the head with this
one.

Want to hear more of it ? ;)
http://www.cgmusic.net/archives/whitewater1.m3u

Marcel

ldnayman wrote:
> I've had this game for over a month and worked out all the kinks- I'm
> ready to bitch about it.
>
> In my opinion, Whitewater makes a much better alleged Presidential
> scandal than a pinball machine.
>
> I like: The big ass left ramp and bigfoot. The Vacation Planner feature
> is great in that it is extremely difficult to achieve. This is the one
> thing lured me to press start on a game I didn't really enjoy that
> much, trying to get class 6 river in one ball is tough enough. Haven't
> got Vacation planner yet. I like the upper playfield design though the
> two shots are VERY easy.
>
> The rest of the game I found very blah. It just didn't come together
> too well for me. The game lacked flow for a machine with so many ramps.
> Very stop and go, and the ball is always swirling down a useless
> sensorless whirlpool, or resting down in a hole somewhere. The ruleset
> is not very user friendly. The game doesn't have that "play it alot and
> the rules just sink in" feel that I like in the best Williams games.
> Even referencing the rule card doesn't really do it- I had to go to an
> online ruleset to really see what they were getting at with Vacation
> Planner.
>
> My biggest complaint, and biggest turnoff on this game is the sound. I
> LOATHED the sound on this machine, it is the worst of any WPC game I
> have owned.
>
> The music is absolutely atrocious. Seriously. I've heard people here
> say they love it...why?! It sounds like the theme song to a late 1980s
> talk show. "Today on 'Susie', Bigfoot makeovers!" It is really bad man.
> All the other sound effects are equally revolting. The constant
> swishing makes me want to piss. The 'heads up' noises for whenever the
> constantly dissapearing ball is about to pop up is obnoxious. The tour
> guide's voice is supposed to be cute but is again abrasive and
> annoying. ABout the only sound I like is Bigfoot.
>
> The game just doesn't come together for me. It's not a BAD player but
> for me at best average, and the rest of the package was so off-putting
> to me that I can't say it's a good game.
>
> I'll file this one with Shadow, a supposedly "overlooked,"
> "Underpriced," "sleeper" game that is none of the above. It gets the
> price, respect, and overall value it deserves, despite a vocal minority
> that tries to puff up its rep.

> I'll file this one with Shadow, a supposedly "overlooked,"
> "Underpriced," "sleeper" game that is none of the above. It gets the
> price, respect, and overall value it deserves, despite a vocal minority
> that tries to puff up its rep.

As I will never argue with your personal impression of Shadow or
Whitewater, I do think that the "minority" is NOT liking Shadow or
Whitewater. I think the majority of pinball players like both of these
titles. Perhaps that is what you were saying.

ROTFLMAOPP!! :p

Hit the nail on the head for me too!

Yes, closely belongs to the "parts game" category.

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
============================

ldnayman wrote:
> I've had this game for over a month and worked out all the kinks- I'm
> ready to bitch about it.
>
> In my opinion, Whitewater makes a much better alleged Presidential
> scandal than a pinball machine.
>
> I like: The big ass left ramp and bigfoot. The Vacation Planner feature
> is great in that it is extremely difficult to achieve. This is the one
> thing lured me to press start on a game I didn't really enjoy that
> much, trying to get class 6 river in one ball is tough enough. Haven't
> got Vacation planner yet. I like the upper playfield design though the
> two shots are VERY easy.
>
> The rest of the game I found very blah. It just didn't come together
> too well for me. The game lacked flow for a machine with so many ramps.
> Very stop and go, and the ball is always swirling down a useless
> sensorless whirlpool, or resting down in a hole somewhere. The ruleset
> is not very user friendly. The game doesn't have that "play it alot and
> the rules just sink in" feel that I like in the best Williams games.
> Even referencing the rule card doesn't really do it- I had to go to an
> online ruleset to really see what they were getting at with Vacation
> Planner.
>
> My biggest complaint, and biggest turnoff on this game is the sound. I
> LOATHED the sound on this machine, it is the worst of any WPC game I
> have owned.
>
> The music is absolutely atrocious. Seriously. I've heard people here
> say they love it...why?! It sounds like the theme song to a late 1980s
> talk show. "Today on 'Susie', Bigfoot makeovers!" It is really bad man.
> All the other sound effects are equally revolting. The constant
> swishing makes me want to piss. The 'heads up' noises for whenever the
> constantly dissapearing ball is about to pop up is obnoxious. The tour
> guide's voice is supposed to be cute but is again abrasive and
> annoying. ABout the only sound I like is Bigfoot.

HAH! I do like the topper!

(When you see one that works...) :)

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
===============

lscott@dlptech.com wrote:

There are a few detractors.. you,
> fred, etc. but most folks I know love the game. No biggie, just sell
> or trade it to someone who appreciates it :)

I'm currently have only one pinball. WW.

I looked long and hard at pricing and appeal and decided on this one.

I like the music, in particular the higher rafts and Wet Willies music.
The sound effects overall fit the theme.

It's a shooter's game that you either get or don't get. If you can't
stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

lscott@dlptech.com wrote:

The
> other tunes (multiball, 5x, hotfoot) are good and fit the theme of the
> game fine. But, I can see how a city boy wouldn't care for hillbilly
> tunes :)

I don't know what kind of hillbillies YOU have been hanging out with
but that sure doesn't sound like Hillbilly music to me. Maybe an early
90s hee-haw revival?! For the record I REALLY like the music on Fish
Tales, it's fun and bouncy and fits the theme to a T. Like I said, I
have no idea what theme the Wwater music reflects besides an 80s talk
show.

> I tend to think YOU are in the minority here. Prices on this game
> have almost doubled over the last couple years, and finding a nice one
> for sale is extremely difficult.

Well, finding a pristine example of ANYTHING is difficult, but your
average wwater seems to still be in the lower rung of WPC games. And
again you could use the "almost doubled" argument for just about any
pinball machine over the last 8 or 9 years. I'm just saying that the
game isn't "underpriced" as is often alleged.

> fred, etc. but most folks I know love the game. No biggie, just
sell
> or trade it to someone who appreciates it :)

It's as good as done! Game is leaving Monday.

Rex Mitchell wrote:
theme.

> It's a shooter's game that you either get or don't get. If you can't
> stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

You don't know my living situation very well. It's more like "If you
can't stand the heat, get IT out of the kitchen."

I "get it" but it's not my cup o tea. No heat here.

WW and Shadow...?

Have 'em both, love 'em both. Neither is going anywhere.

As another poster stated, prices have been going up steadily in the
past couple of years (for nice examples). There are enough people out
there that want them that demand apparently outpaces supply.

Everyone has different tastes though. I'm sure you'll do fine if you
decide to resell.

I personally find this game one of the very hardest to "finish". It
takes a GREAT game to get the Vacation Jackpot and that keeps me coming
back for more.

Ted

>I'll file this one with Shadow, a supposedly "overlooked,"
>"Underpriced," "sleeper" game that is none of the above. It gets the
>price, respect, and overall value it deserves, despite a vocal minority
>that tries to puff up its rep.

You said it all very well, ldnayman. I played a WWH20 a couple weeks
ago, tried to give it yet another chance and I still think it's a
cluttered obnoxious mess.

Price hasn't gone anywhere on these things recently.. they were
$1500ish for a nice one 5 years ago, they're $1500ish now.

five way combo
"get the extra ball, ya weiner"
the secret of the cow
"you found the secret passage"
"dang, lost another one"
"yee-haw, it's a gold rush"

five way combo
"get the extra ball, ya weiner"
the secret of the cow
"you found the secret passage"
"dang, lost another one"
"yee-haw, it's a gold rush"

lscott

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005

> I don't know what kind of hillbillies YOU have been hanging out with
> but that sure doesn't sound like Hillbilly music to me. Maybe an early
> 90s hee-haw revival?! For the record I REALLY like the music on Fish
> Tales, it's fun and bouncy and fits the theme to a T. Like I said, I
> have no idea what theme the Wwater music reflects besides an 80s talk
> show.

What part of the music are you referring to in comparisons to a talk
show? The game has seven different tunes it progresses through as you
advance the raft, and while the early ones are slower and IMHO kinda
dull, I can't hear *anything* resembling talk-show music after raft 10.
The raft 14, 16 and 18 music definitly fits the theme.

> Well, finding a pristine example of ANYTHING is difficult, but your
> average wwater seems to still be in the lower rung of WPC games. And

Nope. Lower rung would be games like DH, DM, Congo, Flintstones,
Popeye, WhoDunnit, JM, JB, NBAFB, Gilligans, party zone, etc. A nice
Whitewater will go for more than a nice example of any of those, except
maybe Congo and NBA (for the boards).

> again you could use the "almost doubled" argument for just about any
> pinball machine over the last 8 or 9 years.

Oh please.. See the above list, and add all Sterns except LOTR and
TSPP and most WMS games except the "A-list" titles. How many Demoman
games are selling for Whitewater prices? And DM gets good reviews
here. Also, I was talking the last couple years, not the last 8 or 9.
Used to be WH2Os were 1000-1200 all over, up until 2002-2003. Now you
can't touch a decent one under 1500+, and real nice examples will push
2k+ easily.

I'm not saying your opinion of the game is wrong.. no one likes all
machines, but I do think you're underestimating the game's popularity.
If you can find a nice Whitewater for 1200, let me know, I'll buy it!

> I'm just saying that the
> game isn't "underpriced" as is often alleged.

Well, these days, it's *not* underpriced anymore :(

White Water is actually my favorite 1990+ pin. I'm normally an old-school
guy (late 70's/early 80's Wms games), but White Water is my WPC keeper.

I like this one because:

- Great theme, colors, artwork, humor, fun cheerful aura all around.
- Two playfield levels is always cool.
- The 3D-ness of the playfield with the boulders, etc. Very cool look.
- Shots that move around the playfield- got to shoot the lit arrows on the
different features- and increasing numbers of them- as you move (or to move)
your raft down the river.
- Lots of challenging modes/features to try and complete- go for one or two,
or try to get them all- as you eluded to in your commentary- it is
challenging:
* There's the 5 or 6 features you have to complete with Whirlpool shots
(awards lit/flashing in the right orbit (pops) area).
* Moving the raft downriver by shooting lit shots.
* Trying to get Class 1-6 river (bonus X) via the left standups.
* Keeping the left kickback lit via the red standups.
* Going for Big Foot Hot Foot via the two white standups (and then having
to shoot past him up the ramps into his Cave- that is cool!
* Skill shot is always good on this game- drop the ball to the top flipper
and then hit the big ramp. Not super difficult but requires developing a
"touch" for the shots.
* The inlane/outlane lane change is great- chase the ball with the
lights/buttons to light features and then hit them.
* Lost Gold Mine- getting through that and getting awards- good mode.
* Multiball- always great- several modes in this game.
- And of course getting to Wet Willy's (raft all the way down river) and
completing all of the modes (some multiple times like multiball) to get the
elusive Vacation Jackpot- very challenging and very rewarding.

To me, it's a "shooter's game" which is what I think pinball is all about-
going for shots- chasing stuff- trying to keep up with (and beat) the
machine. And this one has shots that "move" around the field- always gotta
follow those lit orange arrows to complete the journey. Not just the same
shot over and over and over, or the same sequence of modes that never
changes (Jurassic Park for example- blagh...)

I think there's really a lot packed in this game- good amount of pinball for
the game/money.

> The game doesn't have that "play it alot and
> the rules just sink in" feel that I like in the best Williams games.

Wow- I really disagree on that one- I haven't actually played one/mine in a
few years (mothballed while construction is going on) but all the above I'm
going by memory on, so the rules have definitely sunk in for me...

I really like the audio- sounds and music- on this game. Not corny or
annoying to me- seems good for the game. This was early 1990's of course-
game is over 12 years old now? You could always go with a TFTC or JP and
hear the same thing over and over and over and over. I think WW is good
audio-wise.

These are reasons it's my top favorite WPC game. Opinions vary, but I think
it's really a great game- always have- even before popularity on it spiked
about 2-3 years ago and it really started taking off. A "keeper" in my
lineup. :)

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

<scott@farrar.com> wrote:
> I guess that's why they made such a variety of games - different
> strokes for different folks.

That's exactly what it's all about- personal preference and going with (or
keeping) games you like, passing along games you don't. Been there, done
that.

I get so many people that call or come in our shop asking, "What's a good
game to buy?" You just have to try a few and go with what appeals to you-
that's what counts in the long run.

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Web: www.actionpinball.com

I'd probably say 3 years ago, and in "as-is" shape. That was about the time
I noticed popularity jump for this game. Before that they were $1000 or
$1100 for a real, real nice one, and local operators here were selling them
off as-is from the routes for $750....

Dem times have changed!

Ray J.
--

"pinballjim" <pinballjim@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I'll file this one with Shadow, a supposedly "overlooked,"
> >"Underpriced," "sleeper" game that is none of the above. It gets the
> >price, respect, and overall value it deserves, despite a vocal minority
> >that tries to puff up its rep.
>
> You said it all very well, ldnayman. I played a WWH20 a couple weeks
> ago, tried to give it yet another chance and I still think it's a
> cluttered obnoxious mess.
>
> Price hasn't gone anywhere on these things recently.. they were
> $1500ish for a nice one 5 years ago, they're $1500ish now.

lscott

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005

> - Lots of challenging modes/features to try and complete- go for one or two,
> or try to get them all- as you eluded to in your commentary- it is

Don't forget the interaction between the features, and the choices the
player must make because of them...

- You want to stack 5x with Multiball, but the short timer means this
must be done near-perfectly. Or, you can stack it with Hotfoot, if you
have 5x ready and are only a shot or two away from Hotfoot. Or, if 5x
is the only one left, do you try to set up one of the two above
situations, or just start it anyway to reset the Whirlpool awards and
try to make points off raft advancements

- The Whirlpool is lit, but the selected award is ADVANCE RAFT and
you're only on raft 6 with two easy arrows lit. Do you shoot the
arrows and work the raft, ignoring the Whirlpool (and delaying other
awards), or shoot the (dangerous) boulder garden to move the lit
boulder to something else, or do you shoot the whirlpool and (somewhat)
waste one of the best awards?

- Do you go for the drops EB quickly, or do you save the drops advance
raft for later in the trip?

- You're on a high raft, Boomerang is the only shot left. Do you go
for the tough shot, or loop Drops to spot a hazard, or waste an Advance
Raft (assuming you still have this available)? Should you save the
spots for an even tougher situation? Is the kickback already lit,
meaning the targets will also spot you a hazard?

- Stacking Gold Rush with Wet Willies is a great way to finish that
mode, but tough to arrange.

- You're close to Vacation Planner, but also only one lock from your
2nd multiball. Do you start the multiball, making Vacation that much
harder down the road (3rd multiball is tough to light), or dodge the
lock for a while via Spinechiller to get the last qualifications for
Vacation?

Lots of stuff going on.. not like games such as MM where most any
shot is good at any time (except maybe building Hurryups and premature
Madnesses).

To each his own. I love the game so much I bought one, sold it, two
months later bought another. This one is being restored this fall with
cleared playfield and mini playfield, new mountain set, new decals
along with a new head from Big Time Cabs. It'll get the whole nine
yards. :)

I'll have a lot of time and money into this one but it ain't going
anywhere soon. :)

It's the ramps that make this game so much different then any other.

Bryan (CARGPB14) http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

"Warning! Achtung! Run away, Run away!: BK restorations may emit a
shower of sparks or flames or both. Keep a safe distance (like four
city blocks). Never return to a restoration once lit. Hot hot hot!"

(Sig line compliments of Clive at the Coin-Op Cauldron.)