transferring data in USB Flash drive

August 15, 2005 9:11:56 PM

I need transfer important data from one PC to another. The data amount is
not large: portions near 120 -150MB. Using FTP is not
conveniently since there are slow internet connection. Is the USB flash
memory (removable drive) reliable thing for short keeping(up to 24h) and
transfering data? I need transfer my data without any changing -
byte-to-byte. What is more reliable way, flash memory
or write data into CDROm?

Thanks

More about : transferring data usb flash drive

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 9:11:57 PM

Hello,

Flash memory is quick, effecient and reliable. Flash memory has an advantage of being small and can
be easily transported too. CDs run the risk of geting scratched. At the end of the day, both have
their pros and cons, it really depends on you o make a decision.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Antares" <antares@antares.com> wrote in message news:eNdLNNaoFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>I need transfer important data from one PC to another. The data amount is not large: portions near
>120 -150MB. Using FTP is not
> conveniently since there are slow internet connection. Is the USB flash memory (removable drive)
> reliable thing for short keeping(up to 24h) and transfering data? I need transfer my data without
> any changing - byte-to-byte. What is more reliable way, flash memory
> or write data into CDROm?
>

> Thanks

August 15, 2005 9:11:57 PM

In news:eNdLNNaoFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Antares <antares@antares.com> had this to say:

> I need transfer important data from one PC to another. The data
> amount is not large: portions near 120 -150MB. Using FTP is not
> conveniently since there are slow internet connection. Is the USB
> flash memory (removable drive) reliable thing for short keeping(up to
> 24h) and transfering data? I need transfer my data without any
> changing - byte-to-byte. What is more reliable way, flash memory
> or write data into CDROm?
>

> Thanks

CD is more reliable but you should be fine with a USB drive. USB drives are
nice and speedy and simple though.

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes
August 15, 2005 9:11:57 PM

I have never had a problem with flash drives, I use them all the time to
transfer data. You can get a 1GB one now for about £40. CD-Rom is obviously
more permanent.
If you make sure you still have the original copy on the 1st PC then there
is no problem anyway?

"Antares" wrote:

> I need transfer important data from one PC to another. The data amount is
> not large: portions near 120 -150MB. Using FTP is not
> conveniently since there are slow internet connection. Is the USB flash
> memory (removable drive) reliable thing for short keeping(up to 24h) and
> transfering data? I need transfer my data without any changing -
> byte-to-byte. What is more reliable way, flash memory
> or write data into CDROm?
>

> Thanks

August 15, 2005 9:11:57 PM

Good Day,

Currently I don't think Microsoft Make any USB flash drives, although I know
of a very cool looking pen ( promotional item I'm sure.)

Anyway your question is a tough one, yes short term transportation of data
from a flash drive is quite fine , although I've heard of several people
suffering from data corruption on their drives, I believe that could be from
poor care of the device.

I'd recommend a flash drive to anyone in the information technology sector,
it's a tool , not just a gadget , especially since most new notebook pc's are
no longer fitted with an FDD drive.

If you'd like to check which storage devices have been tested on XP , check
the URL below.
http://testedproducts.windowsmarketplace.com/results.as...

Since you are looking for a reliable means of data tranfer rather than
storage, I'd recommend a USB 2 compatible flash drive if your pc's have USB 2
ports.
The transfer speeds are great , and no need to replace semi-re-usable media
like CD's.

I can't comment on Tape drives or portable HDD's , personally the size and
type of storage might not suite your criteria. ( I hate any magnetically
based storage.)

I think if I go on anymore someone should pay me commission for the sale .
or no doubt I'll get virtual stones thrown my way since this is a Microsoft
Software newsgroup. :)  , anyways , always happy to help. ( except on weekends
and early in the morning. )
--
________
NIC

It depends on many things. I think both of them is good way.
But..
For example don't use usb drive if you have to travel by any vehicle that
use electric power. (because electro-magnetic field can cause problem) So You
should use CD in case of it.
CD can be safe, because it can damaged only phisically. Use CD-RW, because
You can use it next time too.

"Antares" wrote:

> I need transfer important data from one PC to another. The data amount is
> not large: portions near 120 -150MB. Using FTP is not
> conveniently since there are slow internet connection. Is the USB flash
> memory (removable drive) reliable thing for short keeping(up to 24h) and
> transfering data? I need transfer my data without any changing -
> byte-to-byte. What is more reliable way, flash memory
> or write data into CDROm?
>

> Thanks

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 9:11:59 PM

Maybe my knowledge was fault about it...
I had heard about it earlier.

"Matt" wrote:

> According to this article, flash memory is not affected by magnetic fields:
> http://msn.pcworld.com/msn/article/0,aid,116572,pg,1,00... .

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 9:51:56 PM

"Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Flash memory is quick, effecient and reliable. Flash memory has an
> advantage of being small and can be easily transported too. CDs run the
> risk of geting scratched. At the end of the day, both have their pros and
> cons, it really depends on you o make a decision.
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>

> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "Antares" <antares@antares.com> wrote in message
>>I need transfer important data from one PC to another. The data amount is
>>not large: portions near 120 -150MB. Using FTP is not
>> conveniently since there are slow internet connection. Is the USB flash
>> memory (removable drive) reliable thing for short keeping(up to 24h) and
>> transfering data? I need transfer my data without any changing -
>> byte-to-byte. What is more reliable way, flash memory
>> or write data into CDROm?
>>

>> Thanks
=======================

Thanks all for the help.

Antares
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 9:51:57 PM

You are welcome ! Hope it all works out for you.

--

"Antares" <antares@antares.com> wrote in message news:%23wNhkjaoFHA.3552@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> Flash memory is quick, effecient and reliable. Flash memory has an advantage of being small and
>> can be easily transported too. CDs run the risk of geting scratched. At the end of the day, both
>> have their pros and cons, it really depends on you o make a decision.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Anando
>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> http://www.mvps.org
>>

>> Folder customizations
>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>> Protect your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>

>> "Antares" <antares@antares.com> wrote in message news:eNdLNNaoFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>>I need transfer important data from one PC to another. The data amount is not large: portions
>>>near 120 -150MB. Using FTP is not
>>> conveniently since there are slow internet connection. Is the USB flash memory (removable drive)
>>> reliable thing for short keeping(up to 24h) and transfering data? I need transfer my data
>>> without any changing - byte-to-byte. What is more reliable way, flash memory
>>> or write data into CDROm?
>>>

>>> Thanks
> =======================
>
> Thanks all for the help.
>
> Antares

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 12:17:00 AM

"sheva" <sheva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It depends on many things. I think both of them is good way.
> But..
> For example don't use usb drive if you have to travel by any vehicle that
> use electric power. (because electro-magnetic field can cause problem) So
> You
> should use CD in case of it.
> CD can be safe, because it can damaged only phisically. Use CD-RW, because
> You can use it next time too.
>
> "Antares" wrote:
>
>> I need transfer important data from one PC to another. The data amount is
>> not large: portions near 120 -150MB. Using FTP is not
>> conveniently since there are slow internet connection. Is the USB flash
>> memory (removable drive) reliable thing for short keeping(up to 24h) and
>> transfering data? I need transfer my data without any changing -
>> byte-to-byte. What is more reliable way, flash memory
>> or write data into CDROm?
>>

>> Thanks

Hmm, but PC itself is also is electric power-based and it has some
electro-magnetic field. And I use trolley bus for trips, trolley bus is also
electric power-based.
August 16, 2005 2:29:36 PM

As a matter of fact, the Crucial memory web site does warn against magnetic
fields coming into contact with Flash memory. The following PDF article
referenced that fact, but tested the theory and found no problems with it:
http://www.smartcomputing.com/articles/2005/S1609/35s09... . It
is interesting that Crucial still stands by the recommendation.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 5:53:55 PM

"sheva" <sheva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>It depends on many things. I think both of them is good way.
>But..
>For example don't use usb drive if you have to travel by any vehicle that
>use electric power. (because electro-magnetic field can cause problem) So You
>should use CD in case of it.
>CD can be safe, because it can damaged only phisically. Use CD-RW, because
>You can use it next time too.

CDRW disks can be problematic if the computer does not have the same
packet-writing software as the machine that created the disk. CDRs
are cheaper than dirt and I find that the compatibility hassles that
can arise with CDRWs is far worse than any cost savings they might
achieve.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 3:42:51 PM

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:53:55 -0700, Ron Martell
>"sheva" <sheva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>>For example don't use usb drive if you have to travel by any vehicle that
>>use electric power. (because electro-magnetic field can cause problem) So You
>>should use CD in case of it.
>>CD can be safe, because it can damaged only phisically. Use CD-RW, because
>>You can use it next time too.

On CDRs, CDRWs, DVDRs etc.; all of these involve holding data in a
layer of paint on the top side of a transparent plastic disk, whereas
"real" CD-ROMs and DVDs use a sheet of pitted aluminium.

Paint's far thinner and more easily damaged than aluminium.

So whereas with "real" CDs and DVDs, you'd worry about the see-through
side of the disk getting damaged, with "paint" CDRs etc. you should
worry more about the top side of the disk. Scratch that paint - and
that is very easy to do, as it is to have a plastic sleeve stick to it
and peel it off - and you lose your data very permanently :-(

>CDRW disks can be problematic if the computer does not have the same
>packet-writing software as the machine that created the disk. CDRs
>are cheaper than dirt and I find that the compatibility hassles that
>can arise with CDRWs is far worse than any cost savings they might
>achieve.

I agree with you on packet writing, which shares the same risks from
delayed writes that USB sticks do. Both technologies can only be
written to a finite number of times, so the system tries to minimize
these writes until you have "finished". If you eject the disk or
device, or crash or reset, before the writes are actually written, you
lose data and may corrupt the storage of what was there already.

In the case of a botched CDRW, the typical result is: No files, and no
free space. Welcome to another minutes-long "formatting" grind.

There's also the issue of old CD-ROM drive laser capabilities, and the
slightly different requirements for CDRs, and especially CDRWs.

However, I've had surprisingly good results with using CDRWs as CDRs,
i.e. authoring them formally via Nero rather than using packet
writing. I did this after burning 12 successive Bart PE project betas
in around 6 hours, at which point the "high" cost of a single CDRW
disk started to look quite attractive.

I'm still using the same "regimental condom" 3 CDRWs for Bart 1 and
Bart 2 and system building, respectively, after several months. And
as long as I'm not faced with a stone-age 4-speed CD-ROM, I'm golden!

Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!