transferring data in USB Flash drive

I need transfer important data from one PC to another. The data amount is
not large: portions near 120 -150MB. Using FTP is not
conveniently since there are slow internet connection. Is the USB flash
memory (removable drive) reliable thing for short keeping(up to 24h) and
transfering data? I need transfer my data without any changing -
byte-to-byte. What is more reliable way, flash memory
or write data into CDROm?

Thanks
13 answers Last reply
More about transferring data flash drive

    Hello,

    Flash memory is quick, effecient and reliable. Flash memory has an advantage of being small and can
    be easily transported too. CDs run the risk of geting scratched. At the end of the day, both have
    their pros and cons, it really depends on you o make a decision.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    In news:eNdLNNaoFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Antares <antares@antares.com> had this to say:

    > I need transfer important data from one PC to another. The data
    > amount is not large: portions near 120 -150MB. Using FTP is not
    > conveniently since there are slow internet connection. Is the USB
    > flash memory (removable drive) reliable thing for short keeping(up to
    > 24h) and transfering data? I need transfer my data without any
    > changing - byte-to-byte. What is more reliable way, flash memory
    > or write data into CDROm?
    >

    > Thanks

    CD is more reliable but you should be fine with a USB drive. USB drives are
    nice and speedy and simple though.

    Galen
    --

    "Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
    its solution is its own reward."

    Sherlock Holmes

    I have never had a problem with flash drives, I use them all the time to
    transfer data. You can get a 1GB one now for about £40. CD-Rom is obviously
    more permanent.
    If you make sure you still have the original copy on the 1st PC then there
    is no problem anyway?

    "Antares" wrote:

    > I need transfer important data from one PC to another. The data amount is
    > not large: portions near 120 -150MB. Using FTP is not
    > conveniently since there are slow internet connection. Is the USB flash
    > memory (removable drive) reliable thing for short keeping(up to 24h) and
    > transfering data? I need transfer my data without any changing -
    > byte-to-byte. What is more reliable way, flash memory
    > or write data into CDROm?
    >

    > Thanks

    Good Day,

    Currently I don't think Microsoft Make any USB flash drives, although I know
    of a very cool looking pen ( promotional item I'm sure.)

    Anyway your question is a tough one, yes short term transportation of data
    from a flash drive is quite fine , although I've heard of several people
    suffering from data corruption on their drives, I believe that could be from
    poor care of the device.

    I'd recommend a flash drive to anyone in the information technology sector,
    it's a tool , not just a gadget , especially since most new notebook pc's are
    no longer fitted with an FDD drive.

    If you'd like to check which storage devices have been tested on XP , check
    the URL below.
    http://testedproducts.windowsmarketplace.com/results.aspx?bCatId=42

    Since you are looking for a reliable means of data tranfer rather than
    storage, I'd recommend a USB 2 compatible flash drive if your pc's have USB 2
    ports.
    The transfer speeds are great , and no need to replace semi-re-usable media
    like CD's.

    I can't comment on Tape drives or portable HDD's , personally the size and
    type of storage might not suite your criteria. ( I hate any magnetically
    based storage.)

    I think if I go on anymore someone should pay me commission for the sale .
    or no doubt I'll get virtual stones thrown my way since this is a Microsoft
    Software newsgroup. :) , anyways , always happy to help. ( except on weekends
    and early in the morning. )
    --
    ________
    NIC

    It depends on many things. I think both of them is good way.
    But..
    For example don't use usb drive if you have to travel by any vehicle that
    use electric power. (because electro-magnetic field can cause problem) So You
    should use CD in case of it.
    CD can be safe, because it can damaged only phisically. Use CD-RW, because
    You can use it next time too.

    "Antares" wrote:

    > I need transfer important data from one PC to another. The data amount is
    > not large: portions near 120 -150MB. Using FTP is not
    > conveniently since there are slow internet connection. Is the USB flash
    > memory (removable drive) reliable thing for short keeping(up to 24h) and
    > transfering data? I need transfer my data without any changing -
    > byte-to-byte. What is more reliable way, flash memory
    > or write data into CDROm?
    >

    > Thanks

    According to this article, flash memory is not affected by magnetic fields:
    http://msn.pcworld.com/msn/article/0,aid,116572,pg,1,00.asp .

    Maybe my knowledge was fault about it...
    I had heard about it earlier.

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Flash memory is quick, effecient and reliable. Flash memory has an
    > advantage of being small and can be easily transported too. CDs run the
    > risk of geting scratched. At the end of the day, both have their pros and
    > cons, it really depends on you o make a decision.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >

    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "Antares" <antares@antares.com> wrote in message
    >>I need transfer important data from one PC to another. The data amount is
    >>not large: portions near 120 -150MB. Using FTP is not
    >> conveniently since there are slow internet connection. Is the USB flash
    >> memory (removable drive) reliable thing for short keeping(up to 24h) and
    >> transfering data? I need transfer my data without any changing -
    >> byte-to-byte. What is more reliable way, flash memory
    >> or write data into CDROm?
    >>

    >> Thanks
    =======================

    Thanks all for the help.

    Antares

    You are welcome ! Hope it all works out for you.

    --

    "sheva" <sheva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It depends on many things. I think both of them is good way.
    > But..
    > For example don't use usb drive if you have to travel by any vehicle that
    > use electric power. (because electro-magnetic field can cause problem) So
    > You
    > should use CD in case of it.
    > CD can be safe, because it can damaged only phisically. Use CD-RW, because
    > You can use it next time too.
    >
    > "Antares" wrote:
    >
    >> I need transfer important data from one PC to another. The data amount is
    >> not large: portions near 120 -150MB. Using FTP is not
    >> conveniently since there are slow internet connection. Is the USB flash
    >> memory (removable drive) reliable thing for short keeping(up to 24h) and
    >> transfering data? I need transfer my data without any changing -
    >> byte-to-byte. What is more reliable way, flash memory
    >> or write data into CDROm?
    >>

    >> Thanks

    Hmm, but PC itself is also is electric power-based and it has some
    electro-magnetic field. And I use trolley bus for trips, trolley bus is also
    electric power-based.

    As a matter of fact, the Crucial memory web site does warn against magnetic
    fields coming into contact with Flash memory. The following PDF article
    referenced that fact, but tested the theory and found no problems with it:
    http://www.smartcomputing.com/articles/2005/S1609/35s09/35s09.pdf?guid= . It
    is interesting that Crucial still stands by the recommendation.

    "sheva" <sheva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >It depends on many things. I think both of them is good way.
    >But..
    >For example don't use usb drive if you have to travel by any vehicle that
    >use electric power. (because electro-magnetic field can cause problem) So You
    >should use CD in case of it.
    >CD can be safe, because it can damaged only phisically. Use CD-RW, because
    >You can use it next time too.

    CDRW disks can be problematic if the computer does not have the same
    packet-writing software as the machine that created the disk. CDRs
    are cheaper than dirt and I find that the compatibility hassles that
    can arise with CDRWs is far worse than any cost savings they might
    achieve.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:53:55 -0700, Ron Martell
    >"sheva" <sheva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >>For example don't use usb drive if you have to travel by any vehicle that
    >>use electric power. (because electro-magnetic field can cause problem) So You
    >>should use CD in case of it.
    >>CD can be safe, because it can damaged only phisically. Use CD-RW, because
    >>You can use it next time too.

    On CDRs, CDRWs, DVDRs etc.; all of these involve holding data in a
    layer of paint on the top side of a transparent plastic disk, whereas
    "real" CD-ROMs and DVDs use a sheet of pitted aluminium.

    Paint's far thinner and more easily damaged than aluminium.

    So whereas with "real" CDs and DVDs, you'd worry about the see-through
    side of the disk getting damaged, with "paint" CDRs etc. you should
    worry more about the top side of the disk. Scratch that paint - and
    that is very easy to do, as it is to have a plastic sleeve stick to it
    and peel it off - and you lose your data very permanently :-(

    >CDRW disks can be problematic if the computer does not have the same
    >packet-writing software as the machine that created the disk. CDRs
    >are cheaper than dirt and I find that the compatibility hassles that
    >can arise with CDRWs is far worse than any cost savings they might
    >achieve.

    I agree with you on packet writing, which shares the same risks from
    delayed writes that USB sticks do. Both technologies can only be
    written to a finite number of times, so the system tries to minimize
    these writes until you have "finished". If you eject the disk or
    device, or crash or reset, before the writes are actually written, you
    lose data and may corrupt the storage of what was there already.

    In the case of a botched CDRW, the typical result is: No files, and no
    free space. Welcome to another minutes-long "formatting" grind.

    There's also the issue of old CD-ROM drive laser capabilities, and the
    slightly different requirements for CDRs, and especially CDRWs.

    However, I've had surprisingly good results with using CDRWs as CDRs,
    i.e. authoring them formally via Nero rather than using packet
    writing. I did this after burning 12 successive Bart PE project betas
    in around 6 hours, at which point the "high" cost of a single CDRW
    disk started to look quite attractive.

    I'm still using the same "regimental condom" 3 CDRWs for Bart 1 and
    Bart 2 and system building, respectively, after several months. And
    as long as I'm not faced with a stone-age 4-speed CD-ROM, I'm golden!

    Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
    better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

USB Flash Windows XP