Under WinXP Pro SP2, Files/Databases Getting Corrupted and..

August 15, 2005 2:26:27 PM

Since I received from Microsoft and installed a replacement WinXP Pro SP2
installation CD a few weeks/months ago, various applications on the computer
keep reporting corrupted files. These applications include, but may not be
limited to, Windows Media Player 10 and Intuit's Quicken 2003.

I have run ScanDisk several times. However, it never reports any problems
with my hard drive. I have even reinstalled WinXP Pro SP2 several times in
Repair mode. Most recently, I even let Windows Setup format my C: drive
before installing a fresh copy of WinXP Pro SP2.

However, the corrupted files keep occurring.

Yesterday evening, I used Intuit's Quicken 2003 to record expenses, etc. It
ran then without a problem. Yet, this morning when I started Quicken, it
would not accept the correct password for my accounting files--the same
password that I've used for many years.

A short while later, I started Windows Media Player 10. It promptly
informed me that my audio library was corrupted. This has happened at least
3 times in the past 6 weeks. In each case, I directed WMP 10 to search out
all of my music and restore it to the library. That worked fine. For now.
That is, until the next time the library gets corrupted.

The hard disk on this computer is a 120gb Western Digital 7200 Caviar Drive,
which has always worked properly. The motherboard is an ASUS P3V4X and the
processor is an INTEL 450 MHz SLOT-1 device. I had an INTEL 733 MHz
processor installed several years earlier, but WinXP Pro SP2 issued a few
messages
(details of which I do not entirely recall insinuating that the 733 MHz
processor was not running at the correct speed for my motherboard. That was
not true. I don't over clock. It was always running at the same speed
(733MHz)
that it had on this same motherboard for the past 2 or 3 years.
Nevertheless, I
switched out the processor a week or so ago when I installed the 450MHz
processor.

Incidentally, I do not routinely receive e-mail on this computer, so I
really don't suspect a virus may be causing the problem/s.

I shall greatly appreciate the benefit of your thoughts and suggestions on
this.
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 2:26:28 PM

" AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
> Since I received from Microsoft and installed a replacement WinXP Pro SP2
> installation CD a few weeks/months ago, various applications on the
> computer
> keep reporting corrupted files. These applications include, but may not
> be
> limited to, Windows Media Player 10 and Intuit's Quicken 2003.
>
> I have run ScanDisk several times. However, it never reports any problems
> with my hard drive. I have even reinstalled WinXP Pro SP2 several times
> in
> Repair mode. Most recently, I even let Windows Setup format my C: drive
> before installing a fresh copy of WinXP Pro SP2.
>
> However, the corrupted files keep occurring.
>
> Yesterday evening, I used Intuit's Quicken 2003 to record expenses, etc.
> It
> ran then without a problem. Yet, this morning when I started Quicken, it
> would not accept the correct password for my accounting files--the same
> password that I've used for many years.
>
> A short while later, I started Windows Media Player 10. It promptly
> informed me that my audio library was corrupted. This has happened at
> least
> 3 times in the past 6 weeks. In each case, I directed WMP 10 to search
> out
> all of my music and restore it to the library. That worked fine. For
> now.
> That is, until the next time the library gets corrupted.
>
> The hard disk on this computer is a 120gb Western Digital 7200 Caviar
> Drive,
> which has always worked properly. The motherboard is an ASUS P3V4X and
> the
> processor is an INTEL 450 MHz SLOT-1 device. I had an INTEL 733 MHz
> processor installed several years earlier, but WinXP Pro SP2 issued a few
> messages
> (details of which I do not entirely recall insinuating that the 733 MHz
> processor was not running at the correct speed for my motherboard. That
> was
> not true. I don't over clock. It was always running at the same speed
> (733MHz)
> that it had on this same motherboard for the past 2 or 3 years.
> Nevertheless, I
> switched out the processor a week or so ago when I installed the 450MHz
> processor.
>
> Incidentally, I do not routinely receive e-mail on this computer, so I
> really don't suspect a virus may be causing the problem/s.
>
> I shall greatly appreciate the benefit of your thoughts and suggestions on
> this.
> --
> With kindest regards,
>
> Dick Smith

My first thought is that you have a memory problem. Download the following
memory test program and give it a whirl...

http://www.memtest.org/

If your files are not actually being corrupted and are just being reported
as corrupted on occassion, then I would suspect timing settings in the BIOS
or on the motherboard. If the memory checks out, go into your BIOS and set
it to Factory Defaults. If you don't want to set it to factory defaults, at
least take all memory/chipset speed settings out of FAST modes and into
NORMAL or SAFEST settings.

Good Luck,

Carl
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 4:49:14 PM

Thanks, Carl;

Come to think of it, I did install another 512mb SDRAM a while back, which
brought my total SDRAM up to 1.5gb. Maybe that's the problem. the MemTest
web site offers a scad of precompiled downloads. Which might work best for
a 1.5gb ASUS P3V4X with a Pentium III 450MHz processor?

All of my memory is Atlas Precision; 3 512mb, PC 133 SDRAM sticks. The ASUS
P3V4X supports up to 2gb SDRAM.
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith
"Vagabond Software" <vagabondsw-X-@-X-gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> really don't suspect a virus may be causing the problem/s.
>>
>> I shall greatly appreciate the benefit of your thoughts and suggestions
>> on
>> this.
>> --
>> With kindest regards,
>>
>> Dick Smith
>
> My first thought is that you have a memory problem. Download the
> following memory test program and give it a whirl...
>
> http://www.memtest.org/
>
> If your files are not actually being corrupted and are just being reported
> as corrupted on occassion, then I would suspect timing settings in the
> BIOS or on the motherboard. If the memory checks out, go into your BIOS
> and set it to Factory Defaults. If you don't want to set it to factory
> defaults, at least take all memory/chipset speed settings out of FAST
> modes and into NORMAL or SAFEST settings.

August 15, 2005 4:49:15 PM

> Thanks, Carl;
>
> Come to think of it, I did install another 512mb SDRAM a while back, which
> brought my total SDRAM up to 1.5gb. Maybe that's the problem. the
> MemTest web site offers a scad of precompiled downloads. Which might work
> best for a 1.5gb ASUS P3V4X with a Pentium III 450MHz processor?
>
> All of my memory is Atlas Precision; 3 512mb, PC 133 SDRAM sticks. The
> ASUS P3V4X supports up to 2gb SDRAM.
> --
> With kindest regards,
>
> Dick Smith

If you have a floppy drive, the quickest way to get going will probably be
the bootable floppy package:

http://www.memtest.org/download/1.60/memtest86+-1.60.fl...

I believe the instructions for writing the files to a floppy diskette are
contained in the ZIP file. Feel free to ask if additional help is needed.
The memtest floppy you create will be invaluable.

Regards,

Carl
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 9:46:50 PM

Thanks, Carl! A bootable floppy sounds good to me.
--

>" AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks, Carl;
>>
>> Come to think of it, I did install another 512mb SDRAM a while back,
>> which brought my total SDRAM up to 1.5gb. Maybe that's the problem. the
>> MemTest web site offers a scad of precompiled downloads. Which might
>> work best for a 1.5gb ASUS P3V4X with a Pentium III 450MHz processor?
>>
>> All of my memory is Atlas Precision; 3 512mb, PC 133 SDRAM sticks. The
>> ASUS P3V4X supports up to 2gb SDRAM.
>> --
>> With kindest regards,
>>
>> Dick Smith
>
> If you have a floppy drive, the quickest way to get going will probably be
> the bootable floppy package:
>
> http://www.memtest.org/download/1.60/memtest86+-1.60.fl...
>
> I believe the instructions for writing the files to a floppy diskette are
> contained in the ZIP file. Feel free to ask if additional help is needed.
> The memtest floppy you create will be invaluable.
>
> Regards,
>
> Carl

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 9:49:09 PM

AA S

Your statement
"the processor is an INTEL 450 MHz SLOT-1 device. I had an INTEL 733 MHz
processor installed several years earlier, but WinXP Pro SP2 issued a few
messages I switched out the processor a week or so ago when I installed the
450MHz
processor ...................don't overclock.... always run at 733Mhz .....
don't overclock

is strange and it looks as if you are in fact overclocking, and this is the
source of your troubles, but before going further and thinking about
software faults could you tell us

1 What is the default chip speed. (bios)
2 What is the actual speed (Everest)
3 What is the recommended temperature of the cpu (bios)
4 What is the actual temperature (Everest)
--

If you do not have Everest to get the data you can download it for free from
Lavalys

Hello, again, Carl;

Evidently, the SDRAM I added a few weeks ago is defective. After MemTest
has run for an hour & 45 minutes (Test 6,) it found a failing address, which
is:

00056517364 - 1381.4 mb Good: fdffffff Bad: ffffffff Err Bits 02000000
Count Chan: 1

I don't know if there are more bad addresses, MemTest is still running.

Thanks for the heads-up on MemTest!

With kindest regards,

Dick Smith
> Thanks, Carl! A bootable floppy sounds good to me.
> --
> With kindest regards,
>
> Dick Smith
> "Vagabond Software" <vagabondsw-X-@-X-gmail.com> wrote in message
>>" AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Thanks, Carl;
>>>
>>> Come to think of it, I did install another 512mb SDRAM a while back,
>>> which brought my total SDRAM up to 1.5gb. Maybe that's the problem.
>>> the MemTest web site offers a scad of precompiled downloads. Which
>>> might work best for a 1.5gb ASUS P3V4X with a Pentium III 450MHz
>>> processor?
>>>
>>> All of my memory is Atlas Precision; 3 512mb, PC 133 SDRAM sticks. The
>>> ASUS P3V4X supports up to 2gb SDRAM.
>>> --
>>> With kindest regards,
>>>
>>> Dick Smith
>>
>> If you have a floppy drive, the quickest way to get going will probably
>> be the bootable floppy package:
>>
>> http://www.memtest.org/download/1.60/memtest86+-1.60.fl...
>>
>> I believe the instructions for writing the files to a floppy diskette are
>> contained in the ZIP file. Feel free to ask if additional help is
>> needed. The memtest floppy you create will be invaluable.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Carl

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 3:17:15 PM

> Hello, again, Carl;
>
> Evidently, the SDRAM I added a few weeks ago is defective. After MemTest
> has run for an hour & 45 minutes (Test 6,) it found a failing address,
> which is:
>
> 00056517364 - 1381.4 mb Good: fdffffff Bad: ffffffff Err Bits 02000000
> Count Chan: 1
>
> I don't know if there are more bad addresses, MemTest is still running.
>
> Thanks for the heads-up on MemTest!

Don't bother continuing the test. You can re-start the test just to be sure,
but once even a single bad memory address is found, remove the offending
memory stick, use a red sharpee to write the word 'BAD' on it, and throw it
in the trash can.

Alternatively, you can take it back to where you bought it and attempt to
exchange it for a working unit.

I'm glad I could help.

Regards,

Carl
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 5:02:35 PM

Thanks, again, Carl!

Actually, that stick is Atlas Precision memory sold by 1st Choice Memory or
Computer, and it carries a lifetime replacement warranty. So, no problem
getting it replaced. They replaced some defective memory for me 3 or 4
years ago with no problem.

I sincerely appreciate your help.

!