Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 won\'t boot after BIOS Update! HELP!

Last response: in Windows 7
October 25, 2012 6:34:27 AM

I updated the Bios from toshiba site after that my windows won't start and I can't even get to Bios setup (F2) or Boot sequence (F12). and windows get stuck as soon it starts. I can't even access to Factory Restore. I have no image. For information I am using Toshiba Qosmio X770-107
Thanks
October 25, 2012 10:26:37 AM

sakohaji said:
I updated the Bios from toshiba site after that my windows won't start and I can't even get to Bios setup (F2) or Boot sequence (F12). and windows get stuck as soon it starts. I can't even access to Factory Restore. I have no image. For information I am using Toshiba Qosmio X770-107
Thanks

That sounds like a stinker.

Things I can think of (hacking):

(I dont know for certain if any of this would work)

Try plugging external keyboards into the laptop. Maybe the BIOS update broke the keyboard compatibility. Maybe a PS2 or USB keyboard might work.

Obviously it might be worth rolling back the BIOS to the previous version, if you ever get it to respond.

Are you sure you have no system image?

You can check by removing the HDD and plugging it into another machine. You can use windows computer management to view the partitions on a drive. I think IIRC you can flag a partition as the primary partition through computer management (right-click my computer), if not you can use a tool like diskpart. Flag the recovery partition as primary, and (once replaced in the laptop) instead of trying to boot to Windows, it will try and boot to the recovery partition.

If you can get the recovery partition to boot, you can try and 'repair windows'.

m
l
October 25, 2012 12:45:27 PM

I mean if you cannot access the BIOS at startup, I have no idea how you would fix that. And if there is no recovery partition, then you could attempt repairing Windows with a disc.

Did you update the BIOS from a USB drive? If so you could attempt to roll back the BIOS from a USB drive. But that will only work if the boot order is set to try and boot from USB before HDD. Likewise, you could attempt to boot to a DVD or CD with the same software as the USB drive. I'm not sure how that would work, might need different software to boot from a DVD / CD.

Anyone?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

October 25, 2012 12:49:56 PM

Send it back to Toshiba!!!
October 25, 2012 2:18:54 PM

You probably disconnected or shut down your computer while it was updating the bios.
Some motherboards have bios chips which you could replace (people on ebay selling them will program it for you).
You bricked your mobo so either your mobo has a bios chip and you can un-brick it yourself or you send it back and pay a hefty price for it.
m
l
October 26, 2012 10:03:17 AM

RickyT23 said:
Send it back to Toshiba!!!

Thank you for all your suggestions and concern. I will take it to where I bought it except we have a holiday now and they are closed. I am trying to do it myself during this period. I will try some of your suggestions and let you know for I am also busy during this holiday.
for information I found out that I can start windows if I keep pressing the zero before the power switch and after I get two options of repairing (which is useless) and start windows normally I select this option and starts as I am using it now.
m
l
October 31, 2012 10:34:48 AM

Hi there;
Today was the first day after the holiday so I took my laptop to where I bought it and they resolved the problem in 5 minutes. By pressing F2 then Power switch it allowed to access the bios setup where they reset Bios to defult setup and that put everything back to normal. Now my machine seems to work perfectly.
Thank you for your support and I am glad I joined in.
m
l
November 8, 2012 5:42:21 AM

vx53c said:
You probably disconnected or shut down your computer while it was updating the bios.
Some motherboards have bios chips which you could replace (people on ebay selling them will program it for you).
You bricked your mobo so either your mobo has a bios chip and you can un-brick it yourself or you send it back and pay a hefty price for it.

Thank you for your reply. I did not turn off my computer during the update but it actually started it after the update automatically but updating the bios is always a matter of risk that's why they always add a disclaimer before proceeding. Any way as I mentioned down below I took it back to maintenance and the accessed the bios setup and reset the settings to default settings. After that every thing went OK.
Thank you.
m
l
November 18, 2012 2:27:45 PM

Best answer selected by sakohaji.
m
l
December 20, 2012 3:41:18 AM

Hey - I had the EXACT same problem on my Toshiba Sat - its NOT the BIOS update - someone I know had an even older bios than me - did a Microsoft WINDOWS UPDATE - and it froze before the bios, before you could get through to any GUI or completley thought any diagnostic/repair pre-windows (mem repair thing, etc) - and you when you try to load windows 7 through the boot screen it freezes just as the animation starts (the 4 or 5 dots start to swirl together and freeze right there. Thats how it always happened - has happened twice - once I wasted a month calling everyone toshiba is no help - they try to blame you before they help in anyway possible so they dont have to spend money fixing it and own up to the warranty - if you have a staples warranty "it doesnt kick in until the 1 year toshiba warranty is up" which they dont tell you when you buy it. Had to hassle them just to get them to own up to it and send it off the the repair depot - ANYWAY - took forever (just to get a box, send it there, fix it for a day, send it back etc etc)

BUT - when I called the repair depot with my complaint that the same thing happened only this time it was because of windows update - not the bios (which I found it - I did hte same windows update AND the bios flash to 2.80 - which is supposed to fix this error I guess havent flashed it again - so its DEFINETLY the MICROSOFT UPDATE). He said don't bother - try this

Unlike every other PC int he world - toshiba make you hold the function buttons BEFORE you start the computer (do this fix/repair with the unit plugged in!)

Hold the Zero (0) key and power on - this will get you to a new window that you could before - It will say boot Windows 7 (EMS Enabled) - EMS is the Emergency Management System - a lil memory - pre bios with the repair/restore to factory setting wizard pre-windows for this kind of situation. It will load your windows past the animation freeze and come up with a wizard you should have 3 options (I only remember 2 - but you'll only want the use the first 2 anyways)

Your options:

1 - Restore to factory settings (Completley wipes all your date - fresh windows 7 install - the works - like you bought it from the store)

2 - Restore to factory settings and save C:/user - saves your data - but if you DO have other problems on the drive - then you'll be able to boot - but still have problems (I was having a blue screen of death... while the comp was running on the net and itunes? makes no sense - using a dif drive til I can transfer data and wipe it clean like I did this extra one I have)

3 - dont remember, may just be exit and reboot.

This fixed everything completely - I chose option 1 because I had another harddrive I popped in so no data-loss issues. Computer not only runs like new - like a charm! haha.

One thing they did do a the depot was clean all the dust out of my fan (Why did they put the fan on THE BOTTOM OF A LAP-TOP?! seriously.) It was getting soooo hot - burning me almost. Aparently cause of all the dust built up (I use it on a bed - so im sure it sucks up plenty of dust and crap)

HOPE that helps! And saves you some time - took a few hours and windows has to reinstall and all the drivers/toshiba stuff.

OH BY THE WAY - I THOUGHT that it didnt work at first - then I remembered - the repair depot RESET MY BIOS

So - after all this when it restarts - SHUT IT DOWN - Hold F2 and start - you'll enter the bios - reset to factory settings and save and exit - then reboot. Problem solved. :D 

m
l
December 20, 2012 3:58:10 AM

IF anyone finds out WHICH hotfix (or hotfixes/patches/updates) are causing the problem please inform us. I'd like to be able ot update my computer safely again - but I dont want to risk having to waste another 3 or 4 hours reformating and reinstalling. Havent even done a single of the "reccomendded" updates because those are the ones that seemingly caused the problem (it was a recent one - within nov-dec 2012 - mustve been I keep my comp updated pretty much as soon as a hotfix is up - which I learned you shouldnt do til its been around for about 6 months or so - damnit windows IM not your theta tester - dont send me something thats gonna break my laptop)
m
l
December 22, 2012 5:05:46 PM

AMKR said:
Hey - I had the EXACT same problem on my Toshiba Sat - its NOT the BIOS update - someone I know had an even older bios than me - did a Microsoft WINDOWS UPDATE - and it froze before the bios, before you could get through to any GUI or completley thought any diagnostic/repair pre-windows (mem repair thing, etc) - and you when you try to load windows 7 through the boot screen it freezes just as the animation starts (the 4 or 5 dots start to swirl together and freeze right there. Thats how it always happened - has happened twice - once I wasted a month calling everyone toshiba is no help - they try to blame you before they help in anyway possible so they dont have to spend money fixing it and own up to the warranty - if you have a staples warranty "it doesnt kick in until the 1 year toshiba warranty is up" which they dont tell you when you buy it. Had to hassle them just to get them to own up to it and send it off the the repair depot - ANYWAY - took forever (just to get a box, send it there, fix it for a day, send it back etc etc)

BUT - when I called the repair depot with my complaint that the same thing happened only this time it was because of windows update - not the bios (which I found it - I did hte same windows update AND the bios flash to 2.80 - which is supposed to fix this error I guess havent flashed it again - so its DEFINETLY the MICROSOFT UPDATE). He said don't bother - try this...

I have the exact same problem and it just happen!

The problem for me is that it doesn't happen anything when I press ether 0 or f12 during start-up. Any thought on how to fix it?
m
l
!