Upgrading BIOS?

Hi All
Have come accross many articles about the do's and don'ts of upgrading the
BIOS. My question is, do I really need a BIOS upgrading. Have never done so
in the three years I have my computer and have never really had any
problems. Appreciate helpful opinions. Thanks.

OS Winxphome
10 answers Last reply
More about upgrading bios

    Franktee wrote:

    > Hi All
    > Have come accross many articles about the do's and don'ts of upgrading
    > the BIOS. My question is, do I really need a BIOS upgrading. Have
    > never done so
    > in the three years I have my computer and have never really had any
    > problems. Appreciate helpful opinions. Thanks.
    >
    > OS Winxphome

    If everything is working well, leave it alone. "If it ain't broke, don't
    fix it" is the Golden Rule when it comes to updating your BIOS.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Franktee wrote:
    > Hi All
    > Have come accross many articles about the do's and don'ts of
    > upgrading the BIOS. My question is, do I really need a BIOS
    > upgrading. Have never done so in the three years I have my computer
    > and have never really had any problems. Appreciate helpful
    > opinions. Thanks.
    >
    > OS Winxphome

    No.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:45:26 -0700, "Franktee"
    <Franktee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >do I really need a BIOS upgrading.

    You are the only one that can answer that. Check the info on the
    upgrade and see what it has to offer. If there is nothing offered in
    the update that you absolutely can’t live without or need, then don’t
    do it. Most Bios chips are hard wired (soldered) to the MB so if the
    upgrade flash goes wrong, there usually is no way to reverse the
    process since killing the Bios usually means killing access to the
    drives which you would need to try another flash or try to flash with
    the last good working version.

    Regards,
    Ed

    Everyone has answered NO. It is really "you" who can answer this. Read up
    on the BIOS update in order to see "what" the update is giving you. Since
    most updates usually give more processor configuration option or larger disk
    size, it depends whether you need it or not.

    "Franktee" <Franktee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All
    > Have come accross many articles about the do's and don'ts of upgrading the
    > BIOS. My question is, do I really need a BIOS upgrading. Have never done
    > so
    > in the three years I have my computer and have never really had any
    > problems. Appreciate helpful opinions. Thanks.
    >
    > OS Winxphome

    You can kill your motherboard with a BIOS update. The old adage, "If it
    ain't broke, don't fix it" seems to apply to you.

    Alias

    Franktee wrote:
    > Hi All
    > Have come accross many articles about the do's and don'ts of upgrading the
    > BIOS. My question is, do I really need a BIOS upgrading. Have never done so
    > in the three years I have my computer and have never really had any
    > problems. Appreciate helpful opinions. Thanks.
    >
    > OS Winxphome

    It's rarely necessary to update a BIOS unless you need the newer
    version to fix a specific problem you're experiencing, or to provide
    compatibility with new technologies or a newer OS. Given the great
    potential that a botched BIOS-flash has for rendering a motherboard
    completely and permanently useless, this is not something that should be
    considered just so one can have the "newest and shiniest."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:52:56 -0400, Ed <fake@fake.com> wrote:

    >On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:45:26 -0700, "Franktee"
    ><Franktee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    >>do I really need a BIOS upgrading.
    >
    >You are the only one that can answer that. Check the info on the
    >upgrade and see what it has to offer. If there is nothing offered in
    >the update that you absolutely can’t live without or need, then don’t
    >do it. Most Bios chips are hard wired (soldered) to the MB so if the
    >upgrade flash goes wrong, there usually is no way to reverse the
    >process since killing the Bios usually means killing access to the
    >drives which you would need to try another flash or try to flash with
    >the last good working version.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Ed

    Although it's true that most BIOS chips are sodered to the mainboard,
    a competent shop can extract it and replace it fairly easily. It's
    just usually not worth the cost.

    "NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:52:56 -0400, Ed <fake@fake.com> wrote:
    >
    > >On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:45:26 -0700, "Franktee"
    > ><Franktee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>do I really need a BIOS upgrading.
    > >
    > >You are the only one that can answer that. Check the info on the
    > >upgrade and see what it has to offer. If there is nothing offered in
    > >the update that you absolutely can't live without or need, then don't
    > >do it. Most Bios chips are hard wired (soldered) to the MB so if the
    > >upgrade flash goes wrong, there usually is no way to reverse the
    > >process since killing the Bios usually means killing access to the
    > >drives which you would need to try another flash or try to flash with
    > >the last good working version.
    > >
    > >Regards,
    > >Ed
    >
    > Although it's true that most BIOS chips are sodered to the mainboard,
    > a competent shop can extract it and replace it fairly easily. It's
    > just usually not worth the cost.

    Most motherboards made in this century use an EEPROM socket for the bios
    chip. The bios chip may appear soldered in place by the inexperienced eye.
    Some more recent motherboards may have two, one is backup. This is
    removable by a manual puller designed for that, not soldered in place.

    Bruce Chambers <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

    > It's rarely necessary to update a BIOS unless you need the newer
    >version to fix a specific problem you're experiencing, or to provide
    >compatibility with new technologies or a newer OS. Given the great
    >potential that a botched BIOS-flash has for rendering a motherboard
    >completely and permanently useless, this is not something that should be
    >considered just so one can have the "newest and shiniest."

    Agreed. However sometimes the documentation for a BIOS upgrade does
    not identify everything that has been changed with the new version.

    I have encountered several instances where hardware compatibility
    issues where resolved by a BIOS upgrade; and I recall from some years
    back that with at least one brand of motherboard a BIOS upgrade
    overcame a Y2K rollover problem even though the documentation for the
    upgrade said nothing about this.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    =?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmt0ZWU=?= wrote:

    > Have come accross many articles about the do's and don'ts of upgrading the
    > BIOS. My question is, do I really need a BIOS upgrading. Have never done so
    > in the three years I have my computer and have never really had any
    > problems. Appreciate helpful opinions. Thanks.

    Then you dont need a bios upgrade. Easy.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

BIOS Computers Microsoft Windows XP