Video card driver question

Hey all,

I'm running a 3-year old Dimension 8100 system with, as Device Manager
calls it, a 64MB DDR Nvidia GeForce 3 (Dell). Now, I'm actually still
using the Dell provided support.dell.com drivers for the card, but
Nvidia has had *tons* of revisions since then. Should I go for
Nvidia's detonator drivers? New games presumably need the Directx9
support of said drivers, and I'd assume that the Nvidia ones would
support the Dell OEM card.

Thanks,

-D
4 answers Last reply
More about video card driver question

    "David Goodwin" <ksg1-2@yifan.nyet> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I'm running a 3-year old Dimension 8100 system with, as Device Manager
    > calls it, a 64MB DDR Nvidia GeForce 3 (Dell). Now, I'm actually still
    > using the Dell provided support.dell.com drivers for the card, but
    > Nvidia has had *tons* of revisions since then. Should I go for
    > Nvidia's detonator drivers? New games presumably need the Directx9
    > support of said drivers, and I'd assume that the Nvidia ones would
    > support the Dell OEM card.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > -D

    FWIW I've got an 8200 with the GeForce Ti4200. I've always gone to the
    NVidia site for drivers. No problems encountered and some problems resolved.

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    HillBillyBuddhist wrote:

    > "David Goodwin" <ksg1-2@yifan.nyet> wrote in message
    > > Hey all,
    > >
    > > I'm running a 3-year old Dimension 8100 system with, as Device Manager
    > > calls it, a 64MB DDR Nvidia GeForce 3 (Dell). Now, I'm actually still
    > > using the Dell provided support.dell.com drivers for the card, but
    > > Nvidia has had *tons* of revisions since then. Should I go for
    > > Nvidia's detonator drivers? New games presumably need the Directx9
    > > support of said drivers, and I'd assume that the Nvidia ones would
    > > support the Dell OEM card.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >

    > > -D
    >
    > FWIW I've got an 8200 with the GeForce Ti4200. I've always gone to the
    > NVidia site for drivers. No problems encountered and some problems resolved.

    If you never encountered problems, how'd you resolve them? <g>

    Larry

    "Lawrence Glasser" <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
    > >
    > > "David Goodwin" <ksg1-2@yifan.nyet> wrote in message
    > > > Hey all,
    > > >
    > > > I'm running a 3-year old Dimension 8100 system with, as Device Manager
    > > > calls it, a 64MB DDR Nvidia GeForce 3 (Dell). Now, I'm actually still
    > > > using the Dell provided support.dell.com drivers for the card, but
    > > > Nvidia has had *tons* of revisions since then. Should I go for
    > > > Nvidia's detonator drivers? New games presumably need the Directx9
    > > > support of said drivers, and I'd assume that the Nvidia ones would
    > > > support the Dell OEM card.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >

    > > > -D
    > >
    > > FWIW I've got an 8200 with the GeForce Ti4200. I've always gone to the
    > > NVidia site for drivers. No problems encountered and some problems
    resolved.

    > If you never encountered problems, how'd you resolve them? <g>
    >
    > Larry

    As shipped the computer had some problems with BSODs while viewing full
    screen streaming video. Updating the drivers from NVidia resolved that
    issue. Additionally I encountered no difficulties using NVidias drivers on
    an OEM Dell display adapter.

    I hope that eases your mind and that you'll be able to rest tonight. :-)

    Take care...

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    HillBillyBuddhist wrote:

    > "Lawrence Glasser" <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > > HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
    > > >
    > > > "David Goodwin" <ksg1-2@yifan.nyet> wrote in message

    > > > FWIW I've got an 8200 with the GeForce Ti4200. I've always gone to the
    > > > NVidia site for drivers. No problems encountered and some problems
    > resolved.
    > >
    > > If you never encountered problems, how'd you resolve them? <g>
    > >
    > > Larry
    >
    > As shipped the computer had some problems with BSODs while viewing full
    > screen streaming video. Updating the drivers from NVidia resolved that
    > issue. Additionally I encountered no difficulties using NVidias drivers on
    > an OEM Dell display adapter.
    >
    > I hope that eases your mind and that you'll be able to rest tonight. :-)

    My mind's at ease... Thanks!

    Larry

Dell Support Drivers Nvidia Computers