Update with no user intervention

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
August 15, 2005 2:49:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I need Microsoft updates to install automatically like they used to. It
seems that, even when I have "Download and Install at 3am" enabled, it just
downloads and waits for my users to install with the new Neon Globe systray
icon.

Problem is, my users never install the updates. So, I need either a
server-based solution or a registry edit.

thanks

More about : update user intervention

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 4:54:40 PM

"El Marko" <threegtrz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I need Microsoft updates to install automatically like they used to. It
>seems that, even when I have "Download and Install at 3am" enabled, it just
>downloads and waits for my users to install with the new Neon Globe systray
>icon.
>
> Problem is, my users never install the updates. So, I need either a
> server-based solution or a registry edit.

If your using XP Pro, look into the Group Policy settings (gpedit.msc). Here
is the location for these policy settings within Group Policy.

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components >
Windows Update

There are many policies you can configure. There is one that will install
updates immediately but you need to configure another option to make it
work.

--
William
August 15, 2005 9:57:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

And who is going to disable the AV auto scan before the installation of the
updates, God?

Alias

"El Marko" <threegtrz@hotmail.com> wrote

>I need Microsoft updates to install automatically like they used to. It
>seems that, even when I have "Download and Install at 3am" enabled, it just
>downloads and waits for my users to install with the new Neon Globe systray
>icon.
>
> Problem is, my users never install the updates. So, I need either a
> server-based solution or a registry edit.
>
> thanks

August 15, 2005 9:57:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Looking for a straight answer here from a professional.

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
> And who is going to disable the AV auto scan before the installation of
> the updates, God?
>
> Alias
>
> "El Marko" <threegtrz@hotmail.com> wrote
>
>>I need Microsoft updates to install automatically like they used to. It
>>seems that, even when I have "Download and Install at 3am" enabled, it
>>just downloads and waits for my users to install with the new Neon Globe
>>systray icon.
>>
>> Problem is, my users never install the updates. So, I need either a
>> server-based solution or a registry edit.
>>
>> thanks

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 4:27:54 PM

El Marko wrote:

> I need Microsoft updates to install automatically like they used to. It
> seems that, even when I have "Download and Install at 3am" enabled, it just
> downloads and waits for my users to install with the new Neon Globe systray
> icon.
>
> Problem is, my users never install the updates. So, I need either a
> server-based solution or a registry edit.

Hi,

With that setting, updates are still supposed to install automatically.

Is this happening on both Win2k and WinXP computers (as you have posted
to newsgroups for both)?

Some log files you need to look at (and maybe post pertinent parts
back here for us to look at):

%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log
and
%windir%\SoftwareDistribution\ReportingEvents.log

(%windir% is typically C:\Windows or C:\Winnt)

Note that the text goes pretty far out to the right on the latter file,
turn off any line wrapping in your text editor.

and:

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
August 16, 2005 4:27:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks for your reply.

Yes. This is happening on both platforms. I have a few workstations which
update on their own, but many of them here only download the update without
installing even when I have the install option selected.

I will consult the log files you suggested and if I find something
interesting it will post here.

news:o NOTX2koFHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

!