Update with no user intervention

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I need Microsoft updates to install automatically like they used to. It
seems that, even when I have "Download and Install at 3am" enabled, it just
downloads and waits for my users to install with the new Neon Globe systray
icon.

Problem is, my users never install the updates. So, I need either a
server-based solution or a registry edit.

thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about update user intervention
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "El Marko" <threegtrz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I need Microsoft updates to install automatically like they used to. It
    >seems that, even when I have "Download and Install at 3am" enabled, it just
    >downloads and waits for my users to install with the new Neon Globe systray
    >icon.
    >
    > Problem is, my users never install the updates. So, I need either a
    > server-based solution or a registry edit.

    If your using XP Pro, look into the Group Policy settings (gpedit.msc). Here
    is the location for these policy settings within Group Policy.

    Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components >
    Windows Update

    There are many policies you can configure. There is one that will install
    updates immediately but you need to configure another option to make it
    work.

    --
    William
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    And who is going to disable the AV auto scan before the installation of the
    updates, God?

    Alias

    "El Marko" <threegtrz@hotmail.com> wrote

    >I need Microsoft updates to install automatically like they used to. It
    >seems that, even when I have "Download and Install at 3am" enabled, it just
    >downloads and waits for my users to install with the new Neon Globe systray
    >icon.
    >
    > Problem is, my users never install the updates. So, I need either a
    > server-based solution or a registry edit.
    >
    > thanks

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Looking for a straight answer here from a professional.

    "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    > And who is going to disable the AV auto scan before the installation of
    > the updates, God?
    >
    > Alias
    >
    > "El Marko" <threegtrz@hotmail.com> wrote
    >
    >>I need Microsoft updates to install automatically like they used to. It
    >>seems that, even when I have "Download and Install at 3am" enabled, it
    >>just downloads and waits for my users to install with the new Neon Globe
    >>systray icon.
    >>
    >> Problem is, my users never install the updates. So, I need either a
    >> server-based solution or a registry edit.
    >>
    >> thanks

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    El Marko wrote:

    > I need Microsoft updates to install automatically like they used to. It
    > seems that, even when I have "Download and Install at 3am" enabled, it just
    > downloads and waits for my users to install with the new Neon Globe systray
    > icon.
    >
    > Problem is, my users never install the updates. So, I need either a
    > server-based solution or a registry edit.

    Hi,

    With that setting, updates are still supposed to install automatically.

    Is this happening on both Win2k and WinXP computers (as you have posted
    to newsgroups for both)?

    Some log files you need to look at (and maybe post pertinent parts
    back here for us to look at):

    %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log
    and
    %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\ReportingEvents.log

    (%windir% is typically C:\Windows or C:\Winnt)

    Note that the text goes pretty far out to the right on the latter file,
    turn off any line wrapping in your text editor.

    and:

    How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Thanks for your reply.

    Yes. This is happening on both platforms. I have a few workstations which
    update on their own, but many of them here only download the update without
    installing even when I have the install option selected.

    I will consult the log files you suggested and if I find something
    interesting it will post here.

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
    > El Marko wrote:
    >
    >> I need Microsoft updates to install automatically like they used to. It
    >> seems that, even when I have "Download and Install at 3am" enabled, it
    >> just downloads and waits for my users to install with the new Neon Globe
    >> systray icon.
    >>
    >> Problem is, my users never install the updates. So, I need either a
    >> server-based solution or a registry edit.
    >>
    > Hi,
    >
    > With that setting, updates are still supposed to install automatically.
    >
    > Is this happening on both Win2k and WinXP computers (as you have posted
    > to newsgroups for both)?
    >

    > Some log files you need to look at (and maybe post pertinent parts
    > back here for us to look at):
    >
    > %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log
    > and
    > %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\ReportingEvents.log
    >
    > (%windir% is typically C:\Windows or C:\Winnt)
    >
    > Note that the text goes pretty far out to the right on the latter file,
    > turn off any line wrapping in your text editor.
    >

    > and:
    >
    > How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide: