Add ATA hard drive to 8400's IDE?

JB

Hi -

First off, I confess to flying by the seat of my pants. But hey, so what. I
like learning new stuff.

I installed a Maxtor ATA 60 gig drive from my old system into this new Dim
8400. The IDE channel has only a DVD drive so a put the hard drive as drive
1 on the available connector (set to cable select).

Well, it works but I noticed video playback from the drive was stuttering.
Investigating, I found the drive is operating in PIO mode (with 'DMA if
available' set). Tried removing/reinstalling the Primary IDE Channel driver,
but NG.

Further investigating - Maxtor site says I should be using an 80 pin ATA
cable, otherwise I might get what I'm seeing...OK, but the Dell literature
says the IDE connector on the main board is 40 pin!

I did see this question posed here (adding ATA HD to IDE on an 8400), but I
don't recall seeing a post about how it turned out. Well, I tried it and
that's where I'm at - PIO mode.

Am I S.O.L.?

TIA- John

You need the 80 wire cable (not 80 pin). The 80 wire cable has only 40 pins
and will work with your connector.

"JB @excite.com>" <jbessette1<remove> wrote in message
> Hi -
>
> First off, I confess to flying by the seat of my pants. But hey, so what.
> I like learning new stuff.
>
> I installed a Maxtor ATA 60 gig drive from my old system into this new Dim
> 8400. The IDE channel has only a DVD drive so a put the hard drive as
> drive 1 on the available connector (set to cable select).
>
> Well, it works but I noticed video playback from the drive was stuttering.
> Investigating, I found the drive is operating in PIO mode (with 'DMA if
> available' set). Tried removing/reinstalling the Primary IDE Channel
> driver, but NG.
>
> Further investigating - Maxtor site says I should be using an 80 pin ATA
> cable, otherwise I might get what I'm seeing...OK, but the Dell literature
> says the IDE connector on the main board is 40 pin!
>
> I did see this question posed here (adding ATA HD to IDE on an 8400), but
> I don't recall seeing a post about how it turned out. Well, I tried it and
> that's where I'm at - PIO mode.
>
> Am I S.O.L.?
>
> TIA- John

"JB @excite.com>" <jbessette1<remove> wrote in message
> Hi -
>
> First off, I confess to flying by the seat of my pants. But hey, so what.
> I like learning new stuff.
>
> I installed a Maxtor ATA 60 gig drive from my old system into this new Dim
> 8400. The IDE channel has only a DVD drive so a put the hard drive as
> drive 1 on the available connector (set to cable select).
>
> Well, it works but I noticed video playback from the drive was stuttering.
> Investigating, I found the drive is operating in PIO mode (with 'DMA if
> available' set). Tried removing/reinstalling the Primary IDE Channel
> driver, but NG.
>
> Further investigating - Maxtor site says I should be using an 80 pin ATA
> cable, otherwise I might get what I'm seeing...OK, but the Dell literature
> says the IDE connector on the main board is 40 pin!
>
> I did see this question posed here (adding ATA HD to IDE on an 8400), but
> I don't recall seeing a post about how it turned out. Well, I tried it and
> that's where I'm at - PIO mode.
>
> Am I S.O.L.?
>
> TIA- John

I'm not sure about an 8400, but on all earlier Dells, you had to go into the
BIOS and switch the drive from OFF to AUTO. If you didn't, it ran in PIO
mode.

Check that out.

Tom

....also - If you read the Maxtor site again, I bet it says 80 "wire" cable
not an 80 "pin" cable. They both have 40 pins.

> "JB @excite.com>" <jbessette1<remove> wrote in message
>> Hi -
>>
>> First off, I confess to flying by the seat of my pants. But hey, so what.
>> I like learning new stuff.
>>
>> I installed a Maxtor ATA 60 gig drive from my old system into this new
>> Dim 8400. The IDE channel has only a DVD drive so a put the hard drive as
>> drive 1 on the available connector (set to cable select).
>>
>> Well, it works but I noticed video playback from the drive was
>> stuttering. Investigating, I found the drive is operating in PIO mode
>> (with 'DMA if available' set). Tried removing/reinstalling the Primary
>> IDE Channel driver, but NG.
>>
>> Further investigating - Maxtor site says I should be using an 80 pin ATA
>> cable, otherwise I might get what I'm seeing...OK, but the Dell
>> literature says the IDE connector on the main board is 40 pin!
>>
>> I did see this question posed here (adding ATA HD to IDE on an 8400), but
>> I don't recall seeing a post about how it turned out. Well, I tried it
>> and that's where I'm at - PIO mode.
>>
>> Am I S.O.L.?
>>
>> TIA- John
>>

> I'm not sure about an 8400, but on all earlier Dells, you had to go into
> the BIOS and switch the drive from OFF to AUTO. If you didn't, it ran in
> PIO mode.
>
> Check that out.
>
> Tom

JB

Excellent!

Thanks - its now operating in Ultra DMA Mode 5.

> "JB @excite.com>" <jbessette1<remove> wrote in message
>> Hi -
>>
>> First off, I confess to flying by the seat of my pants. But hey, so what.
>> I like learning new stuff.
>>
>> I installed a Maxtor ATA 60 gig drive from my old system into this new
>> Dim 8400. The IDE channel has only a DVD drive so a put the hard drive as
>> drive 1 on the available connector (set to cable select).
>>
>> Well, it works but I noticed video playback from the drive was
>> stuttering. Investigating, I found the drive is operating in PIO mode
>> (with 'DMA if available' set). Tried removing/reinstalling the Primary
>> IDE Channel driver, but NG.
>>
>> Further investigating - Maxtor site says I should be using an 80 pin ATA
>> cable, otherwise I might get what I'm seeing...OK, but the Dell
>> literature says the IDE connector on the main board is 40 pin!
>>
>> I did see this question posed here (adding ATA HD to IDE on an 8400), but
>> I don't recall seeing a post about how it turned out. Well, I tried it
>> and that's where I'm at - PIO mode.
>>
>> Am I S.O.L.?
>>
>> TIA- John
>>

> I'm not sure about an 8400, but on all earlier Dells, you had to go into
> the BIOS and switch the drive from OFF to AUTO. If you didn't, it ran in
> PIO mode.
>
> Check that out.
>
> Tom

JB

Interesting...I double-checked and their Web site says:

"Ensure you are using an 80-pin UDMA cable that does not exceed 18 inches in
length. "

But, I checked the cable in their package and it's 40 pin (but may be 80
wire).

So I may be OK with the cable that's already in the Dell (40 pin).

Thanks for the reply.

- John

"joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> ...also - If you read the Maxtor site again, I bet it says 80 "wire" cable
> not an 80 "pin" cable. They both have 40 pins.

>> "JB @excite.com>" <jbessette1<remove> wrote in message
>>> Hi -
>>>
>>> First off, I confess to flying by the seat of my pants. But hey, so
>>> what. I like learning new stuff.
>>>
>>> I installed a Maxtor ATA 60 gig drive from my old system into this new
>>> Dim 8400. The IDE channel has only a DVD drive so a put the hard drive
>>> as drive 1 on the available connector (set to cable select).
>>>
>>> Well, it works but I noticed video playback from the drive was
>>> stuttering. Investigating, I found the drive is operating in PIO mode
>>> (with 'DMA if available' set). Tried removing/reinstalling the Primary
>>> IDE Channel driver, but NG.
>>>
>>> Further investigating - Maxtor site says I should be using an 80 pin ATA
>>> cable, otherwise I might get what I'm seeing...OK, but the Dell
>>> literature says the IDE connector on the main board is 40 pin!
>>>
>>> I did see this question posed here (adding ATA HD to IDE on an 8400),
>>> but I don't recall seeing a post about how it turned out. Well, I tried
>>> it and that's where I'm at - PIO mode.
>>>
>>> Am I S.O.L.?
>>>
>>> TIA- John
>>>

>> I'm not sure about an 8400, but on all earlier Dells, you had to go into
>> the BIOS and switch the drive from OFF to AUTO. If you didn't, it ran in
>> PIO mode.
>>
>> Check that out.
>>
>> Tom

JB

Hi Skids - thanks...see my other related reply.

- John

"Skids" <skids@skidmore.com> wrote in message
> You need the 80 wire cable (not 80 pin). The 80 wire cable has only 40
> pins and will work with your connector.
>
> "JB @excite.com>" <jbessette1<remove> wrote in message
>> Hi -
>>
>> First off, I confess to flying by the seat of my pants. But hey, so what.
>> I like learning new stuff.
>>
>> I installed a Maxtor ATA 60 gig drive from my old system into this new
>> Dim 8400. The IDE channel has only a DVD drive so a put the hard drive as
>> drive 1 on the available connector (set to cable select).
>>
>> Well, it works but I noticed video playback from the drive was
>> stuttering. Investigating, I found the drive is operating in PIO mode
>> (with 'DMA if available' set). Tried removing/reinstalling the Primary
>> IDE Channel driver, but NG.
>>
>> Further investigating - Maxtor site says I should be using an 80 pin ATA
>> cable, otherwise I might get what I'm seeing...OK, but the Dell
>> literature says the IDE connector on the main board is 40 pin!
>>
>> I did see this question posed here (adding ATA HD to IDE on an 8400), but
>> I don't recall seeing a post about how it turned out. Well, I tried it
>> and that's where I'm at - PIO mode.
>>
>> Am I S.O.L.?
>>
>> TIA- John

Tom's, that's correct for the 8400 too. I put a DVD reader on the middle
connector of the cable and it was PIO until I switched the drive to AUTO.

Brian

> I'm not sure about an 8400, but on all earlier Dells, you had to go into
> the BIOS and switch the drive from OFF to AUTO. If you didn't, it ran in
> PIO mode.
>
> Check that out.
>
> Tom

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Do a cut and paste and send your videos to a folder on your SATA drive. End
of problem.
"Skids" <skids@skidmore.com> wrote in message
> You need the 80 wire cable (not 80 pin). The 80 wire cable has only 40
> pins and will work with your connector.
>
> "JB @excite.com>" <jbessette1<remove> wrote in message
>> Hi -
>>
>> First off, I confess to flying by the seat of my pants. But hey, so what.
>> I like learning new stuff.
>>
>> I installed a Maxtor ATA 60 gig drive from my old system into this new
>> Dim 8400. The IDE channel has only a DVD drive so a put the hard drive as
>> drive 1 on the available connector (set to cable select).
>>
>> Well, it works but I noticed video playback from the drive was
>> stuttering. Investigating, I found the drive is operating in PIO mode
>> (with 'DMA if available' set). Tried removing/reinstalling the Primary
>> IDE Channel driver, but NG.
>>
>> Further investigating - Maxtor site says I should be using an 80 pin ATA
>> cable, otherwise I might get what I'm seeing...OK, but the Dell
>> literature says the IDE connector on the main board is 40 pin!
>>
>> I did see this question posed here (adding ATA HD to IDE on an 8400), but
>> I don't recall seeing a post about how it turned out. Well, I tried it
>> and that's where I'm at - PIO mode.
>>
>> Am I S.O.L.?
>>
>> TIA- John

JB

On my last system, I had the video creation/burning software on the main
drive and the source/output files on the 2nd drive. I had read that this is
a more efficient arrangement than having one drive serving both purposes
when creating video.

Maybe this new 8400 has more than enough HP that it doesn't matter.

Anyway, it's working fine now.

"Dave" <dwernerfl04@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Do a cut and paste and send your videos to a folder on your SATA drive.
> End of problem.
> "Skids" <skids@skidmore.com> wrote in message
>> You need the 80 wire cable (not 80 pin). The 80 wire cable has only 40
>> pins and will work with your connector.
>>
>> "JB @excite.com>" <jbessette1<remove> wrote in message
>>> Hi -
>>>
>>> First off, I confess to flying by the seat of my pants. But hey, so
>>> what. I like learning new stuff.
>>>
>>> I installed a Maxtor ATA 60 gig drive from my old system into this new
>>> Dim 8400. The IDE channel has only a DVD drive so a put the hard drive
>>> as drive 1 on the available connector (set to cable select).
>>>
>>> Well, it works but I noticed video playback from the drive was
>>> stuttering. Investigating, I found the drive is operating in PIO mode
>>> (with 'DMA if available' set). Tried removing/reinstalling the Primary
>>> IDE Channel driver, but NG.
>>>
>>> Further investigating - Maxtor site says I should be using an 80 pin ATA
>>> cable, otherwise I might get what I'm seeing...OK, but the Dell
>>> literature says the IDE connector on the main board is 40 pin!
>>>
>>> I did see this question posed here (adding ATA HD to IDE on an 8400),
>>> but I don't recall seeing a post about how it turned out. Well, I tried
>>> it and that's where I'm at - PIO mode.
>>>
>>> Am I S.O.L.?
>>>
>>> TIA- John

JustMe

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2003

SATA is an option on the 8400 and not a requirement.

"JustMe" <Inkspots@spam.com> wrote in message
> SATA is an option on the 8400 and not a requirement.

Given that there are (4) SATA connectors on the 8400 system board and only
(1) PATA controller, it's expected that any added hard disks will probably
be SATA and not IDE.

Buttressing this fact is that the single IDE cable will not reach the hard
disk cage.

Stew

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

The assumption on my part is that the OP wants to view the vid file and
without studder. Since I am doing the same thing with a ATA HDD connected
to the puter via using a temp disconnected secondary optical location on the
IDE ribbon that it works.
My ATA drive is not caged but stuck in an available cage. Yeah I know that
this isnt a recommended idea but Ive move this HDD into 4 different puter
using the same deal without any ill effects on the HDD.
The OPs problem is that the vids are on the secondary HDD but XP is using a
media player that is located on the primary drive.
My very recent 8400 came with SATA HDD as standard and it is a motherboard
deal and not an option.

Dave

JB <jbessette1 wrote:
> Hi -
>
> First off, I confess to flying by the seat of my pants. But hey, so what. I
> like learning new stuff.
>
> I installed a Maxtor ATA 60 gig drive from my old system into this new Dim
> 8400. The IDE channel has only a DVD drive so a put the hard drive as drive
> 1 on the available connector (set to cable select).
>
> Well, it works but I noticed video playback from the drive was stuttering.
> Investigating, I found the drive is operating in PIO mode (with 'DMA if
> available' set). Tried removing/reinstalling the Primary IDE Channel driver,
> but NG.
>
> Further investigating - Maxtor site says I should be using an 80 pin ATA
> cable, otherwise I might get what I'm seeing...OK, but the Dell literature
> says the IDE connector on the main board is 40 pin!
>
> I did see this question posed here (adding ATA HD to IDE on an 8400), but I
> don't recall seeing a post about how it turned out. Well, I tried it and
> that's where I'm at - PIO mode.
>
> Am I S.O.L.?

You shouldn't be - I have a HDD on the same cable as my DVD burner in a
new 8400 and they're both running in UDMA mode (2 & 5, respectively). As
someone else pointed out, make sure you change the BIOS for this drive
to AUTO.

JB <jbessette1 wrote:
> On my last system, I had the video creation/burning software on the main
> drive and the source/output files on the 2nd drive. I had read that this is
> a more efficient arrangement than having one drive serving both purposes
> when creating video.
>
> Maybe this new 8400 has more than enough HP that it doesn't matter.

Not a HP issue, the objective to to optimize HDD activity. With 2 HDD's
you have 2 sets of heads, so moving the heads on the input HDD doesn't
disturb the heads on the output HDD.

> Anyway, it's working fine now.

Cool, that's the whole point of the exercise! :)

Sparky Spartacus wrote:
> JB <jbessette1 wrote:
>
>> Hi -
>>
>> First off, I confess to flying by the seat of my pants. But hey, so
>> what. I like learning new stuff.
>>
>> I installed a Maxtor ATA 60 gig drive from my old system into this new
>> Dim 8400. The IDE channel has only a DVD drive so a put the hard drive
>> as drive 1 on the available connector (set to cable select).
>>
>> Well, it works but I noticed video playback from the drive was
>> stuttering. Investigating, I found the drive is operating in PIO mode
>> (with 'DMA if available' set). Tried removing/reinstalling the Primary
>> IDE Channel driver, but NG.
>>
>> Further investigating - Maxtor site says I should be using an 80 pin
>> ATA cable, otherwise I might get what I'm seeing...OK, but the Dell
>> literature says the IDE connector on the main board is 40 pin!
>>
>> I did see this question posed here (adding ATA HD to IDE on an 8400),
>> but I don't recall seeing a post about how it turned out. Well, I
>> tried it and that's where I'm at - PIO mode.
>>
>> Am I S.O.L.?
>

> You shouldn't be - I have a HDD on the same cable as my DVD burner in a
> new 8400 and they're both running in UDMA mode (2 & 5, respectively). As
> someone else pointed out, make sure you change the BIOS for this drive
> to AUTO.

(To OP)
If you check I think you might find the cable they are recommending is
80-wire not 80-pin. These cables have more 'ground' wires in the ribbon
cable, but are still terminated by 40-pin connectors. ATA-33 is ok with
40-wire, but ATA-66 and up needs 80-wire. An ATA-66+ capable drive will
only work at ATA-33 speed on a 40-wire cable.
Most DVDs etc. are k with 40-wire as they don't work that fast.

(To SS)
You mean UDMA 5 and 2 respectively, yes?

John Fryatt wrote:
> Sparky Spartacus wrote:

<snip>

> (To SS)
> You mean UDMA 5 and 2 respectively, yes?

No, DVD = UDMA2 & HDD = UDMA5. I left the DVD burner in the master
position (end of the cable).