System has no video after Installing floppy drive

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
I bought a floppy drive installed it. The weird thing is, when I reboot the system a couple times, it has no video. I have to remove the floppy cable from the motherboard, and I would get everything running back to normal. First time it did it, I'd figured it wasnt' going to do it again, but it did. Anybody know what might be wrong?

peter21

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Probably a bad floppy cable, try a different one and see what happens. I have seen some weird problems do to a bad floppy cable.

--------
The only thing i know...

is that i know nothing at all.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
lol, maybe ur psu is innsufficient :tongue: . Could be the cable or maybe ur mobo's fuxx0red in that area. Damn, this old 486 used to bitch up like that till it met its fate.....

Hilbert space is a big place.

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
were you ever able to use the floppy?... as in did it ever boot so you can use it? once before, i have seen a bios boot with no video and the floppy drive light was light. i tured the cable right side up and got video and floppy working. its a simple thing, but sometimes people forget.

<font color=orange><b>these days every one knows how small your penis is, and they are dying to help you with many many penis enlargement emails.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
While you're in there messing with the floppy cable, take out your video card... Clean the AGP socket with a small paint brush and some alcohol sweeping lengthwise along it and getting the bristles right to the bottom. Clean the gold edge connectors on the video board with a soft pencil eraser sweeping along both sides until the contacts are nice and shiny... Then put the board back in making sure it's all the way down and doesn't move when you press on the motherboard.

Likely as not the board is moving in the socket when you flex the motherboard while tugging on the cables... AGP slots are notorious for stuff like that...

---><font color=green>It ain't better if it don't work</font color=green><---

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
hmmm i don't see how that would be the reason if it starts working when he takes the floppy out... am i missing something

<font color=orange><b>these days every one knows how small your penis is, and they are dying to help you with many many penis enlargement emails.

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
I doubt my PSU in insufficient. Its a 420w enlight.

At first I thought it was the floppy drive that was causing issues, but then I tried it on another computer and it worked fine.
Maybe it is the cable, but now I have to go and buy a floppy cable, ahhhh, maybe I can take one from school, lol.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
hmmm i don't see how that would be the reason if it starts working when he takes the floppy out... am i missing something
Press cable in... motherboard flexes down just a little and breaks AGP connection.

Pull cable off... motherboard flexes up just a little and remakes the AGP connection.

The reason this is a problem with so many AGP boards is that the connector is so far from the edge of the motherboard and right in the middle of the most poorly supported part of the board. I've seen stuff like this several times and most often just cleaning and re-installing the AGP board takes care of the problem. On a few machines I've had to slightly bend the metal bracket to angle the board down a bit at the back... pressing it more tightly into the connector.

---><font color=green>It ain't better if it don't work</font color=green><--- <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by teq on 05/04/03 02:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>