Paint overspray on a Pin!!!! SAFE REMOVAL????

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Picked up a nice HS2, The Getaway that must have been in a shop and not
had the playfield glass on it when someone was spraying black paint.
There is none on the playfield, but you see the black mist on the
chrome supercharger and the playfield plastics and the side art and
backbox art. Tried Novus, did not work. Tried alcohol, no luck. Anyone
with any suggestions that can do the job safely without damage..
HELP!!! It is a nice pin and a shame not to get this overspray off.
THANKS,

Brad

Some guys at body shops use clay for removing overspray. I would try
the method suggested by Ray J. first. I think you will have a hard time
if paint is old and they if sprayed a "bullet proof" paint. If only
they would have taken an extra 15 minutes to cover the work area with
plastic this would not have happened. Clay can be purchased at:
www.autogeek.net

Depends on what kind of paint the overspray is. If just typical aerosol
spray paint (non-catalyzed) you can probably wipe it off with some lacuqer
thinner- at least on the cabinet exterior.

I wouldn't use lacquer thinner or anything of similar strength on anything
plastic on the playfield- it will eat into the plastic and destroy it.
You'll have to try a few [mild] things to see if any success- Novus #3 would
be a good starter, then follow with #2 if the #3 is getting the stuff off.
Or try some Naphta. But stay away from anything that will harm plastic.

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

"Brad" <wwtp@idcnet.com> wrote in message
> Picked up a nice HS2, The Getaway that must have been in a shop and not
> had the playfield glass on it when someone was spraying black paint.
> There is none on the playfield, but you see the black mist on the
> chrome supercharger and the playfield plastics and the side art and
> backbox art. Tried Novus, did not work. Tried alcohol, no luck. Anyone
> with any suggestions that can do the job safely without damage..
> HELP!!! It is a nice pin and a shame not to get this overspray off.
> THANKS,
>
> Brad

Yep, clay works awsome. I use it on my cars once a year to get all the
toxins from the air and rain off. I had some paint work done once and
the body shop over looked one small area. I tried the clay and it
worked perfectly. I dont know if it is normal clay. I get mine in the
auto parts area of Wal mart or auto zone. Mothers and Meguiers makes
it.

Follow the directions and make sure the surface stays damp, dont let it
get dry when your rubbing the clay over it.

Mike

the stuff we used in the body shop was called clay magic.

it will work on catalyzed paint. just use thinner or alcohol on non
catalyzed paints.

john

www.kansascitypinball.com

Millwax took all the overspay off of my BSD cabinet, PF and Side
rails... whoever sprayed the game before me did it with the playfield
in o_O

I used Goof Off to strip a whole cabinet. I wouldn't use it on plastics
though. It has a strong odor also, but worked great. Did both sideds in
about 2 hours. Got it at Lowes I believe, but any hardware store should
have it. You can see the results at my website.

Chas
http://home.comcast.net/~corvair/

Yep, thats what I use. I for got the name. Clay Magic. Only I just
mixed water and a few drops of dishwasher soap in a spray bottle. .
Works wonders.

I've had great results removing overspray from a cabinet using a magic
eraser.

I used water with the eraser, just go light and easy.

Steve

"Brad" <wwtp@idcnet.com> wrote in message
> Picked up a nice HS2, The Getaway that must have been in a shop and not
> had the playfield glass on it when someone was spraying black paint.
> There is none on the playfield, but you see the black mist on the
> chrome supercharger and the playfield plastics and the side art and
> backbox art. Tried Novus, did not work. Tried alcohol, no luck. Anyone
> with any suggestions that can do the job safely without damage..
> HELP!!! It is a nice pin and a shame not to get this overspray off.
> THANKS,
>
> Brad

TRENDING THREADS