Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Frequent BSODs and blackouts

Last response: in Systems
October 25, 2012 8:57:07 AM

My rig has been experiencing episodes of BSODs and sudden blackouts for sometime already (a year or so), but the occurrences have been much more frequent when I started playing TESV Skyrim. I'm not exactly sure where the problem lies, hardware software, the OS, the game, or the game itself; that's why I'm posting this under the Win7 category.

I regularly (once every 2 weeks) clean deleted files and my regs using CCleaner, and defrag the system just as frequently. I also tidy up the rig itself every month.

Here's my system specs:

Intel Pentium Dual Core E660 3.06 gHz
Nvidia Geforce GT 440 GDDR5
3 gig 667 mHz DDR2 RAM
P5NSLI Mobo
Stock 500 W PSU
Stock Chassis

October 25, 2012 9:03:39 AM

Overheating, bad drivers, or faulty hardware are all possibilities.

Any idea what your peak temperatures are?
m
l
October 25, 2012 9:08:43 AM

Well, my drivers are all updated, afaik; how can I be certain anyway? My GPU peaks at around 80-90 degrees, I haven't monitored my other components as closely though.
m
l
Related resources
October 25, 2012 9:28:20 AM

Use a tool like CPUID HWMonitor to check your peak temps for all components. Be sure to check the values before the system crashes though..

Also, any idea what make and model that power supply is?
m
l
October 25, 2012 9:34:47 AM

Thanks, Herr. I'll have to download and run tests for the meantime though.

I've checked it and it says 'Morr Logic', I'm sure that's not one of the mainstream brands.
m
l
October 25, 2012 9:46:01 AM

What model of PSU you have? "Stock" normally means "bad" PSU 8().
m
l
October 25, 2012 10:01:43 AM

Thanks Cats, well, I just said what model it is, it's Morr Logic. Yeah, I get that impression, so that's just it? All of my BSODs and blackouts are the results of a bad PSU?
m
l
October 25, 2012 12:25:49 PM

Download BluescreenView and post a screenshot.

Also, run memtest86+, to rule out bad RAM as the culprit.
m
l
October 25, 2012 12:46:14 PM

faster23rd said:
Thanks Cats, well, I just said what model it is, it's Morr Logic. Yeah, I get that impression, so that's just it? All of my BSODs and blackouts are the results of a bad PSU?

They could be. Often a poor quality PSU cannot deliver the required current under load, which will bring the entire system crashing down.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 25, 2012 12:51:30 PM

check HD for errors ?

use windows install cd and do a repair install.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
October 25, 2012 2:12:45 PM

You should do it with a process of elimination.
-Run memtest overnight, see if that is the culrpit.
-Then comes the cpu, run prime95 on small ffts and monitor your temps. If your computer crashes there it means i) Temps looked ok: if you have an OC, it is unstable. ii) Temps spiked off charts: your cooling is inadequate. Re-seat cpu, Re-apply thermal paste, try again.
-GPU related. Run OCCT video straining test while monitoring GPU temps. If you get like 100C before comp crashes then you need to re-apply paste to your gpu or change cooling solution.
-PSU/Mobo. Even though i would bet right off the batt your problem is PSU related you HAVE to eliminate all other options to determine this.
19 times out of 20 it is the PSU and not the mobo. i) your psu is giving you very little power. No name brands usually supply 60% of named value. GeForce cards usually demand a lot and an OEM psu is poor at providing. ii) your psu is all together bad and your mobo shuts down because of fluctuations on 5v rail.
To determine if it is the mobo you have to try connecting it to a known to work psu. If problems continue, you need to replace mobo.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 25, 2012 2:15:43 PM

On a side note, i have had BSOD problems with HDDs and it is a very rare case. Usually those are easy to check by googling the error code of the memory dump. (BSOD code)
m
l
October 30, 2012 8:33:28 AM

Thanks for the advice, fellas, but I wasn't able to do tests since I came down with the flu. Anyway, I've decided to stop putting up with my rig and build a new one. I'll keep your advices when I have the same troubles with my future rig. Cheers! :) 
m
l
October 30, 2012 8:34:03 AM

Best answer selected by faster23rd.
m
l
!