A handful of Treo questions

October 27, 2004 10:29:03 PM

I know that right now these questions can only really be answered by
Treo 600 owners, but if anyone out there has a 650 (or has read more
details than me) I'd appreciate their feedback too.

1. How do you do shortcuts, eg [shortcut]ds for datestamp?

2. How do you do a command stroke, eg command-p for paste?

3. I know that the switch at the top of the Treo switches between
'audible alerts' and 'vibration alerts'. Does that apply to *all* sound,
ie ringer, reminders, alarm, system sound, game sound? ie does the
switch mute all sound?

4. Is it possible to have the unit ring *and* vibrate for alerts? What
about complete silence (no sound, no vibrate)? I know you can dig
through the Prefs to do this but I'd rather have a quick (one button)
solution. Can I mute for a given amount of time, and have it
automatically unmute? I use QLaunch on my T|E so that if I hold down the
tasks key it allows me to mute for my choice of time - quick and simple.

5. Can you set the ringer to ascending volume? Starts off quiet but if
you don't notice it, it gets louder and louder? This is useful because
you can catch it when it's quiet rather than annoy people with a loud
obnoxious ring, but if the place is noisy you're still likely to
(eventually) hear it.

6. Can you mute incoming calls? Nokia phones use the right soft key to
silence the ringer - you can ignore the caller, yet they are unaware
that you are doing so and the phone keeps ringing at their end.
Sometimes I don't want to press the red key to hang up, because it will
stop ringing at their end and they'll realise I'm there and deliberately
ignoring/rejecting their call.

7. What's the battery life like, assuming no phone use whatsoever? If
you have BatteryGraph installed that will tell you the actual total
amount of ontime between charges; my Tungsten E gives me about 3.5
hours, which is about two days between charges. How does the Treo stack
up against this?

8. How does the keypad lock work? I'd like it like my Nokia - if a call
comes in then it unlocks and allows me to take the call; it re-locks
when I hang up. If I send a text then just leave it, it automatically
locks itself after a few minutes. Does the Treo do this?

Thanks,

-z-

--
"I didn't expect the voice of karma to be called Bob."
-- Giles, uk.comp.sys.mac

More about : handful treo questions

Anonymous
October 28, 2004 1:40:07 PM

On Wednesday, "zoara" wrote:

> I know that right now these questions can only really be
> answered by Treo 600 owners, but if anyone out there has
> a 650 (or has read more details than me) I'd appreciate
> their feedback too.

I'm only a recent 600 user, but I'll do my best on these:

> 1. How do you do shortcuts, eg [shortcut]ds for datestamp?

Can't answer as I never use them - in fact, I've never used
them before when I had a IIIx or my Sony Clie.

> 2. How do you do a command stroke, eg command-p for paste?

Not found this one myself yet - I keep hitting the menu key
and using the menu options for cut'n'paste.

> 3. I know that the switch at the top of the Treo switches
> between 'audible alerts' and 'vibration alerts'. Does that
> apply to *all* sound, ie ringer, reminders, alarm, system
> sound, game sound? ie does the switch mute all sound?

As far as I can tell, it mutes everything.

> 4. Is it possible to have the unit ring *and* vibrate for
> alerts? What about complete silence (no sound, no vibrate)?
> I know you can dig through the Prefs to do this but I'd
> rather have a quick (one button) solution. Can I mute for
> a given amount of time, and have it automatically unmute?
> I use QLaunch on my T|E so that if I hold down the tasks
> key it allows me to mute for my choice of time - quick and
> simple.

I have the phone set to ring when the rocker switch is set
to allow tones. I have it set to vibrate when the switch is
set to silent mode. But yes, you can have it vibrate and ring
as well.

Don't think there's any built-in options for setting a time
for silence.

> 5. Can you set the ringer to ascending volume? Starts off
> quiet but if you don't notice it, it gets louder and
> louder?

Not that I can see - though I imagine that you can download a
midi ring tone that starts quiet and gets louder. The Treo
uses standard mini files for ringtones.

>6. Can you mute incoming calls?

Not yet tried it, but someone said that a press of the volume
buttons on the side of the phone when it rings will mute the
ringer.

> 7. What's the battery life like, assuming no phone use
> whatsoever?

Not yet measured, but I have the desktop USB stand/charger so
the Treo get's popped in there when I am in the office and is
therefore almost always fully charged.

> 8. How does the keypad lock work? I'd like it like my Nokia
> - if a call comes in then it unlocks and allows me to take
> the call; it re-locks when I hang up. If I send a text then
> just leave it, it automatically locks itself after a few
> minutes. Does the Treo do this?

Much the same - you set a time-out for the screen to blank
and the keylock to come on, or a press of the right hand hard
button will blank the screen and turn off the keys. If the
phone rings then the key lock is disabled, and when you hang
up then the phone locks itself again (not sure if this is
immediate or if you have to wait for the time out period
again).

All in all - go with it. The ONLY thing that I don't like on
the 600 is the 160x160 screen. A 650 would be the ideal unit
as far as I can see - the integration of the phone and all
the other apps is great.

--
Bryan Anderson <www.anderson-it.com&gt;
Anonymous

Bryan Anderson <usenet@anderson-it.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, "zoara" wrote:
>
> > I know that right now these questions can only really be
> > answered by Treo 600 owners, but if anyone out there has
> > a 650 (or has read more details than me) I'd appreciate
> > their feedback too.
>
> I'm only a recent 600 user, but I'll do my best on these:

I appreciate your feedback! Thankyou....

> > 1. How do you do shortcuts, eg [shortcut]ds for datestamp?
>
> Can't answer as I never use them - in fact, I've never used
> them before when I had a IIIx or my Sony Clie.

OK. I use shortcuts quite a lot, especially date/time stamps.

> > 2. How do you do a command stroke, eg command-p for paste?
>
> Not found this one myself yet - I keep hitting the menu key
> and using the menu options for cut'n'paste.

Oh, right, hadn't thought of that. I presume you press "menu" then you
are able to navigate the menue using the 5-way, right?

> > 3. I know that the switch at the top of the Treo switches
> > between 'audible alerts' and 'vibration alerts'. Does that
> > apply to *all* sound, ie ringer, reminders, alarm, system
> > sound, game sound? ie does the switch mute all sound?
>
> As far as I can tell, it mutes everything.

OK.

> > 4. Is it possible to have the unit ring *and* vibrate for
> > alerts? What about complete silence (no sound, no vibrate)?
> > I know you can dig through the Prefs to do this but I'd
> > rather have a quick (one button) solution. Can I mute for
> > a given amount of time, and have it automatically unmute?
> > I use QLaunch on my T|E so that if I hold down the tasks
> > key it allows me to mute for my choice of time - quick and
> > simple.
>
> I have the phone set to ring when the rocker switch is set
> to allow tones. I have it set to vibrate when the switch is
> set to silent mode. But yes, you can have it vibrate and ring
> as well.

OK, great. Can you set it so that the rocker turns off the ringer *and*
the vibrate?

> Don't think there's any built-in options for setting a time
> for silence.

Righto.

> > 5. Can you set the ringer to ascending volume? Starts off
> > quiet but if you don't notice it, it gets louder and
> > louder?
>
> Not that I can see - though I imagine that you can download a
> midi ring tone that starts quiet and gets louder. The Treo
> uses standard mini files for ringtones.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking I might have to do. I have no idea
whether that would make the MIDI tone quite large though. Or what I'd
use to edit MIDIs (rhetorical question - I'll investigate closer to
purchase time).

> >6. Can you mute incoming calls?
>
> Not yet tried it, but someone said that a press of the volume
> buttons on the side of the phone when it rings will mute the
> ringer.

Oh?

If you *do* try this, can you post back and let me know if it works? To
be honest, this is probably one of the most important features on a
phone for me (apart from, er, making calls). I value my privacy and it's
no-one's business if I decide I don't want to take a call.

I wish more home phones allowed you to mute the ringer, too.

> > 7. What's the battery life like, assuming no phone use
> > whatsoever?
>
> Not yet measured, but I have the desktop USB stand/charger so
> the Treo get's popped in there when I am in the office and is
> therefore almost always fully charged.

Righto.

> > 8. How does the keypad lock work? I'd like it like my Nokia
> > - if a call comes in then it unlocks and allows me to take
> > the call; it re-locks when I hang up. If I send a text then
> > just leave it, it automatically locks itself after a few
> > minutes. Does the Treo do this?
>
> Much the same - you set a time-out for the screen to blank
> and the keylock to come on, or a press of the right hand hard
> button will blank the screen and turn off the keys. If the
> phone rings then the key lock is disabled, and when you hang
> up then the phone locks itself again (not sure if this is
> immediate or if you have to wait for the time out period
> again).

Sounds good.

> All in all - go with it. The ONLY thing that I don't like on
> the 600 is the 160x160 screen. A 650 would be the ideal unit
> as far as I can see - the integration of the phone and all
> the other apps is great.

Yeah - when I discovered that the rumoured 650 was to have 320x320 I was
chuffed (I'm using a Tungsten E and couldn't go back to lowres now!). I
think it may be time for me to try the smartphone route again (I tried a
P800 but that was poor at being a phone and poorer at being an
organiser). But I just want my mind at rest on the above questions!

I appreciate your feedback, thankyou.

-z-

--
"I didn't expect the voice of karma to be called Bob."
-- Giles, uk.comp.sys.mac
October 28, 2004 4:26:39 PM

Kevin Michael Vail <kevin@vaildc.net> wrote:

> In article <1gmbqog.1o541wnbtd54jN%me3@privacy.net>,
> me3@privacy.net (zoara) wrote:
>
> > I know that right now these questions can only really be answered by
> > Treo 600 owners, but if anyone out there has a 650 (or has read more
> > details than me) I'd appreciate their feedback too.
> >

> > 1. How do you do shortcuts, eg [shortcut]ds for datestamp?
> >
> > 2. How do you do a command stroke, eg command-p for paste?
>
> I can only answer these two, and not from personal experience--a cow
> orker has a Treo 600 and ended up loading Jot into it just for the
> shortcut character.

Arses.

I thought I saw someone once post that you typed 's' then pressed the
alt key, then scrolled down, or something? Long-winded type of shortcut,
but if that's the only way of doing a timestamp then it's better than
nothing. Anyone?

Bryan pointed out that you can use the menu key to scroll the menus, so
I suppose loss of the command stroke isn't the end of the world.

-z-

--
"I didn't expect the voice of karma to be called Bob."
-- Giles, uk.comp.sys.mac
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 5:27:44 PM

<< > > 1. How do you do shortcuts, eg [shortcut]ds for datestamp?

> > 2. How do you do a command stroke, eg command-p for paste? >>

You can install Graffiti Anywhere. If the Treo doesn't come with Graffiti 2
installed, then you can install either it or the original version (much better)
using the steps that let you install original Graffiti on those that came with
G2.

Dennis B. Swaney
remove .zz to reply
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 6:26:27 PM

Kevin Michael Vail wrote:

> In article <1gmbqog.1o541wnbtd54jN%me3@privacy.net>,
> me3@privacy.net (zoara) wrote:
>
> > I know that right now these questions can only really be answered by
> > Treo 600 owners, but if anyone out there has a 650 (or has read more
> > details than me) I'd appreciate their feedback too.
> >

> > 1. How do you do shortcuts, eg [shortcut]ds for datestamp?
> >
> > 2. How do you do a command stroke, eg command-p for paste?
>
> I can only answer these two, and not from personal experience--a cow
> orker has a Treo 600 and ended up loading Jot into it just for the
> shortcut character.

You don't need Jot to get the shortcut character. The shortcut character
is buried under the "s" key on the keyboard. You type an "s" then you hit
the "alt" key and select the shortcut key from the popup menu. The shortcut
symbol is the last one on the popup list. Still, as you suggest above, the
easiest way to make the shortcut symbol is by using a utility like Jot (or
Graffiti Anywhere or NewPen) that allows you to write on the Treo's screen.
Then, you can just write the shortcut symbol with a Graffiti stroke.
--
Wonderfalls unaired episode quote of the day:

"I didn't know [Ivette the maid] was illegal until this morning. She's
been living here on an expired visa since 1982. That's the summer she took
me to see ET and told me I had boobs."
-- Sharon in "Crime Dog"

Roberto Castillo
robertocastillo@ameritech.net
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 4:40:15 AM

On Thursday, "zoara" wrote:

> OK. I use shortcuts quite a lot, especially date/time stamps.

Datestamp:

S key
Alt key
Down
Down
Down
D key
S key

Can all be done using the one thumb, so not too bad.

> Oh, right, hadn't thought of that. I presume you press "menu"
> then you are able to navigate the menue using the 5-way, right?

Yes. Just did some investigating on this one as I've not yet come
across having to cut'n'paste yet. On a Treo600 (not sure about a
650), there's no way to highlight words or letters using the key
board. You have to use the stylus, and then you'd hit menu and as
you already had the stylus in your hand, you'd use the menu with
the stylus.

There is an add-on at Palmgear called TreoSelcText that allows
you to highlight text using the shift and direction button. Then
you'd hit the menu button and navigate to cut'n'paste using the
five way direction button.

> OK, great. Can you set it so that the rocker turns off the
> ringer *and* the vibrate?

The sound settings are quite complex. You have seperate settings
for Phone, Email, Calendar, Photo Messenging and Messaging tones.

For each one, you have two options screens. One chooses the tones
for each ring (for example, under the phone | tones settings you
can pick a different tone for Known Callers, Unknown Callers,
Roaming (?), Voicemail and Service Tones. The second screen is
for selectin the Volume. You can select volume and whether or
not the phone vibrates when the sound mode is on, and you can
set whether the phone vibrates when the sound mode is off.

So I think you'll manage to get just about any combination that
you want for the sound/vibrate functions!

[ increasing ringtone volume....]

> Yeah, that's what I was thinking I might have to do. I have no
> idea whether that would make the MIDI tone quite large though.

Not sure if it matters. I've not (yet) heard of an upper limit on
the size of midi tones you can use.

[mute incoming call ringer....]

> If you *do* try this, can you post back and let me know if it
> works?

It works - just called myself and hit one of the volume buttons on
the side and the ringer stopped but the screen told me that I was
still calling.

> Yeah - when I discovered that the rumoured 650 was to have 320x
> 320 I was chuffed (I'm using a Tungsten E and couldn't go back
> to lowres now!).

I used to have a IIIx (low res) and was over the moon when I got my
hands on a hi res Sony Clie. However I was supporting some clients
with PocketPC devices so when the time came to change, I got an iPaq
and sold the Clie. Loved the iPaq and it's screen - really bright
and the 240x320 was a good compromise between resolution and size.

But I've been lusting after a Treo for a while and I managed to get
hold of one on Ebay for £150 which was a bit of a bargain. I thought
I'd see how I got on with the low res screen as I was very wary, but
I have surprised myself. I do miss some games and the calendar views
in Agenda Fusion on the iPaq were great, but when i looked sensibly
at what I did with a Palm/PPC, I realised that 95% of the time I will
be happy with the low res and i's certainly a lot better than carrying
round an iPAQ and a phone.

I even managed to take it apart and mend the buzzing sound that my
callers were complaining about....bit of foiled paper and all is well
in Treo land here!

--
Bryan Anderson <usenet@bryananderson.co.uk>
Anonymous

ROMAD <romad@aol.com.zz> wrote:

> << > > 1. How do you do shortcuts, eg [shortcut]ds for datestamp?
> > >
> > > 2. How do you do a command stroke, eg command-p for paste? >>
>
> You can install Graffiti Anywhere. If the Treo doesn't come with Graffiti
> 2 installed, then you can install either it or the original version (much
> better) using the steps that let you install original Graffiti on those
> that came with G2.

Right. I suspect I may be doing that anyway, but is this the only way to
do a command-stroke? Seems odd that they made everything but this bit
possible without the stylus.

I had a lightbulb last night - I don't suppose you can, say, Paste by
pressing menu then P, can you?

-z-

--
"I didn't expect the voice of karma to be called Bob."
-- Giles, uk.comp.sys.mac
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 7:43:51 PM

On Friday, "zoara" wrote:

> I had a lightbulb last night - I don't suppose you can, say, Paste
> by pressing menu then P, can you?

Well spotted! You can do that, but you still can't (without additional
software) highlight text without using the stylus.

--
Bryan Anderson <usenet@bryananderson.co.uk>
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 8:40:49 PM

zoara,

You might want to look at the discussion forums at www.treocentral.com. You
will find all kinds of info on the 600 and the upcoming 650.
Zane

zoara wrote:

> I know that right now these questions can only really be answered by
> Treo 600 owners, but if anyone out there has a 650 (or has read more
> details than me) I'd appreciate their feedback too.
>

> 1. How do you do shortcuts, eg [shortcut]ds for datestamp?
>
> 2. How do you do a command stroke, eg command-p for paste?
>
> 3. I know that the switch at the top of the Treo switches between
> 'audible alerts' and 'vibration alerts'. Does that apply to *all* sound,
> ie ringer, reminders, alarm, system sound, game sound? ie does the
> switch mute all sound?
>
> 4. Is it possible to have the unit ring *and* vibrate for alerts? What
> about complete silence (no sound, no vibrate)? I know you can dig
> through the Prefs to do this but I'd rather have a quick (one button)
> solution. Can I mute for a given amount of time, and have it
> automatically unmute? I use QLaunch on my T|E so that if I hold down the
> tasks key it allows me to mute for my choice of time - quick and simple.
>
> 5. Can you set the ringer to ascending volume? Starts off quiet but if
> you don't notice it, it gets louder and louder? This is useful because
> you can catch it when it's quiet rather than annoy people with a loud
> obnoxious ring, but if the place is noisy you're still likely to
> (eventually) hear it.
>
> 6. Can you mute incoming calls? Nokia phones use the right soft key to
> silence the ringer - you can ignore the caller, yet they are unaware
> that you are doing so and the phone keeps ringing at their end.
> Sometimes I don't want to press the red key to hang up, because it will
> stop ringing at their end and they'll realise I'm there and deliberately
> ignoring/rejecting their call.
>
> 7. What's the battery life like, assuming no phone use whatsoever? If
> you have BatteryGraph installed that will tell you the actual total
> amount of ontime between charges; my Tungsten E gives me about 3.5
> hours, which is about two days between charges. How does the Treo stack
> up against this?
>
> 8. How does the keypad lock work? I'd like it like my Nokia - if a call
> comes in then it unlocks and allows me to take the call; it re-locks
> when I hang up. If I send a text then just leave it, it automatically
> locks itself after a few minutes. Does the Treo do this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -z-

Anonymous
November 1, 2004 2:52:45 AM

Bryan Anderson <usenet@bryananderson.co.uk> wrote:

> On Friday, "zoara" wrote:
>
> > I had a lightbulb last night - I don't suppose you can, say, Paste
> > by pressing menu then P, can you?
>
> Well spotted!

Haha! I'm finding hidden usefulness in the Treo software without
actually owning one! Well, I suppose it's cheaper that way...

> You can do that, but you still can't (without additional
> software) highlight text without using the stylus.

OK. That's less of an annoyance to me personally, but it's still a Bad
Thing.

-z-

--
"I didn't expect the voice of karma to be called Bob."
-- Giles, uk.comp.sys.mac
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 3:26:56 AM

On Sunday, "zoara" wrote:

> OK. That's less of an annoyance to me personally, but it's
> still a Bad Thing.

Well - I went and bought TreoSelecText (it was only $5) and
it works a treat. Don't even know it's there, except I can now
Shift and Navigate to highlight text. Worth the (very small)
investment.

--
Bryan Anderson <usenet@bryananderson.co.uk>
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 10:35:59 PM

Bryan Anderson <usenet@bryananderson.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sunday, "zoara" wrote:
>
> > OK. That's less of an annoyance to me personally, but it's
> > still a Bad Thing.
>
> Well - I went and bought TreoSelecText (it was only $5) and
> it works a treat. Don't even know it's there, except I can now
> Shift and Navigate to highlight text. Worth the (very small)
> investment.

Noted for the future, thankyou.

-z-

--
"I didn't expect the voice of karma to be called Bob."
-- Giles, uk.comp.sys.mac
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 4:55:04 PM

Bryan Anderson <usenet@bryananderson.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thursday, "zoara" wrote:
>
> > OK. I use shortcuts quite a lot, especially date/time stamps.
>
> Datestamp:
>
> S key
> Alt key
> Down
> Down
> Down
> D key
> S key
>
> Can all be done using the one thumb, so not too bad.

Thanks. That's OK, it could be worse.

[snip - TreoSelcText (responded elsewhere)]

> > OK, great. Can you set it so that the rocker turns off the
> > ringer *and* the vibrate?
>
> The sound settings are quite complex. You have seperate settings
> for Phone, Email, Calendar, Photo Messenging and Messaging tones.
>
> For each one, you have two options screens. One chooses the tones
> for each ring (for example, under the phone | tones settings you
> can pick a different tone for Known Callers, Unknown Callers,
> Roaming (?), Voicemail and Service Tones. The second screen is
> for selectin the Volume. You can select volume and whether or
> not the phone vibrates when the sound mode is on, and you can
> set whether the phone vibrates when the sound mode is off.
>
> So I think you'll manage to get just about any combination that
> you want for the sound/vibrate functions!

Right. That sounds great - very customisable.

> [ increasing ringtone volume....]
>
> > Yeah, that's what I was thinking I might have to do. I have no
> > idea whether that would make the MIDI tone quite large though.
>
> Not sure if it matters. I've not (yet) heard of an upper limit on
> the size of midi tones you can use.

Sure, but there's an upper limit on the RAM in a Treo! It might become
an issue if I get tight on RAM, but I presume MIDI files are a lot
smaller than the multi-megabyte MP3 files anyway.

> [mute incoming call ringer....]
>
> > If you *do* try this, can you post back and let me know if it
> > works?
>
> It works - just called myself and hit one of the volume buttons on
> the side and the ringer stopped but the screen told me that I was
> still calling.

You've just made me decide that a Treo is for me! (actually, I'm only
half-joking there). Thankyou for trying it out.

[hires/lowres]

> But I've been lusting after a Treo for a while and I managed to get
> hold of one on Ebay for £150 which was a bit of a bargain. I thought
> I'd see how I got on with the low res screen as I was very wary, but
> I have surprised myself. I do miss some games and the calendar views
> in Agenda Fusion on the iPaq were great, but when i looked sensibly
> at what I did with a Palm/PPC, I realised that 95% of the time I will
> be happy with the low res and i's certainly a lot better than carrying
> round an iPAQ and a phone.

Yeah - I'm sure that if I were 'forced' into lowres, it wouldn't be a
great problem. But to choose between the Treo 600 (with its likely heavy
discounts) and the 650 (with hires *and* bluetooth), well... I think
I'll pay over the odds.

> I even managed to take it apart and mend the buzzing sound that my
> callers were complaining about....bit of foiled paper and all is well
> in Treo land here!

Heh.

Thanks again for the feedback.

-zoara-

--
"I didn't expect the voice of karma to be called Bob."
-- Giles, uk.comp.sys.mac
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 5:08:38 PM

On Wednesday, "zoara" wrote:

[midi ring tones]
> Sure, but there's an upper limit on the RAM in a Treo! It
> might become an issue if I get tight on RAM, but I presume
> MIDI files are a lot smaller than the multi-megabyte MP3
> files anyway.

They are - I have Raiders of the Lost Ark and it goes of for
ages and ages - not timed it, but I managed to get myself, a
seven year old and a five year old ready to leave the house
with shoes and coats on before the tone rang out. Must have
been a good four minues and it weighs only 55kb.

And of course - you have the SD/MMC card slot. 128MB cards
are less than £20 now and they go right up to 1GB (or more?).

> Yeah - I'm sure that if I were 'forced' into lowres, it
> wouldn't be a great problem. But to choose between the Treo
> 600 (with its likely heavy discounts) and the 650 (with
> hires *and* bluetooth), well... I think I'll pay over the
> odds.

Think about what you'd use the Bluetooth for. I had an iPAQ
before and that had bluetooth and I thought it'd be great for
sync'ing. Well...it was, but then I needed to put the thing in
the cradle anyway to charge, so why not sync using the cable?

I had a Sony phone with BT and that worked well to make a
connection to the iPAQ to email and so on.

Now I have the Treo....don't need BT to connect with a phone
as it has a phone built in. Don't need BT to make use of a
hands-free kit as the Treo has a speakerphone built in. And
I have the desktop cradle/charger so wouldn't even use BT to
sync with the PC either.

Call me dim, but I can't actually see any use for Bluetooth
on a Treo.

But that 320x320 screen.....I wish!

--
Bryan Anderson <usenet@bryananderson.co.uk>
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 7:03:54 PM

Bryan Anderson <usenet@bryananderson.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wednesday, "zoara" wrote:
>
> [midi ring tones]
> > Sure, but there's an upper limit on the RAM in a Treo! It
> > might become an issue if I get tight on RAM, but I presume
> > MIDI files are a lot smaller than the multi-megabyte MP3
> > files anyway.
>
> They are - I have Raiders of the Lost Ark and it goes of for
> ages and ages - not timed it, but I managed to get myself, a
> seven year old and a five year old ready to leave the house
> with shoes and coats on before the tone rang out. Must have
> been a good four minues and it weighs only 55kb.

Brilliant. Thankyou.

> > Yeah - I'm sure that if I were 'forced' into lowres, it
> > wouldn't be a great problem. But to choose between the Treo
> > 600 (with its likely heavy discounts) and the 650 (with
> > hires *and* bluetooth), well... I think I'll pay over the
> > odds.
>
> Think about what you'd use the Bluetooth for. I had an iPAQ
> before and that had bluetooth and I thought it'd be great for
> sync'ing. Well...it was, but then I needed to put the thing in
> the cradle anyway to charge, so why not sync using the cable?

I'l be using this:

http://homepage.mac.com/jonassalling/Shareware/Clicker/

amongst other things. Eventually those 'other things' are intended to
include gaming/data swapping with other Palms/phones, GPS, wireless
syncing (I rarely plug my T|E into the computer, and it recharges in a
completely different room) and grabbing the majority of my email etc via
my home computer instead of over expensive network rates.

I'm sure I'll find other uses :)

> Call me dim, but I can't actually see any use for Bluetooth
> on a Treo.

Are you a merkin? I think bluetooth is less popular there than in yurp;
I'm a yurpean and I know that I could find quite a few people with BT,
which adds to the usefulness.

Then there's always toothing, if you're a little on the naughty side ;)

-z-

--
!