ndisuio.sys and Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

dick

Every few minutes, while on the net, my Sygate firewall pops up a small
message that says "An application named NDIS User mode i/o driver (file name
ndisuio.sys) has been blocked from accessing the network". Checking the
small "do not show this window again" has no effect and it keeps coming
back.

How can I eliminate this annoyance? I am using XP Home. Suggestions
appreciated. TIA, Dick

ndisuio.sys - Process Information
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/ndisuio/

"ndisuio.sys is a process belonging to the NDIS User Mode I/O (NDISUIO) NDIS
protocol driver which offers support for wireless devices such as Bluetooth and the like.
This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should
not be terminated."

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Dick" wrote:

| Every few minutes, while on the net, my Sygate firewall pops up a small
| message that says "An application named NDIS User mode i/o driver (file name
| ndisuio.sys) has been blocked from accessing the network". Checking the
| small "do not show this window again" has no effect and it keeps coming
| back.
|
| How can I eliminate this annoyance? I am using XP Home. Suggestions
| appreciated. TIA, Dick

dick

Thanks for the information, Carey. I'll just let it have access and the
messages will go away. I hope. Dick
> ndisuio.sys - Process Information
> http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/ndisuio/
>
> "ndisuio.sys is a process belonging to the NDIS User Mode I/O (NDISUIO)
> NDIS
> protocol driver which offers support for wireless devices such as
> Bluetooth and the like.
> This program is important for the stable and secure running of your
> computer and should
> not be terminated."
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Dick" wrote:
>
> | Every few minutes, while on the net, my Sygate firewall pops up a small
> | message that says "An application named NDIS User mode i/o driver (file
> name
> | ndisuio.sys) has been blocked from accessing the network". Checking the
> | small "do not show this window again" has no effect and it keeps coming
> | back.
> |
> | How can I eliminate this annoyance? I am using XP Home. Suggestions
> | appreciated. TIA, Dick

> "ndisuio.sys is a process belonging to the NDIS User Mode I/O (NDISUIO)
> NDIS
> protocol driver which offers support for wireless devices such as
> Bluetooth and the like.
> This program is important for the stable

NO IT IS NOT

and secure

FOR 99% OF USERS, NOT

running of your
> computer

and should
> not be terminated."

BLOCKING IT IN A FIREWALL DOES NOT TERMINATE IT, IT JUST PREVENTS IT
FROM ACCESSING THE INTERNET WITHOUT THE CONSENT OF THE OWNER

I configure my firewall to only let my browser and a few select programs access the internet, everything else is blocked (including windows services)- I update windows manually. The was I see it is:

1. Micros**t never asked my permission to use MY internet account
2. Micros**t have no right to pry and snoop in my computer
3. I pay for my bandwidth so I get to do with it what I want

Hello. I'm just setting up a new PC and I'm wondering if I even need to grant access to these programs over my Semantec firewall. I do not use wireless internet. Instead, I use a hardwired cable connection with my own cable modem. I don't have a router, so for protection I use two layers of firewall security (Semantec and ZoneAlarm--there seem to be no incompatibility issues). Anyway, last night I got a message from my Semantec saying someone was attempting a MAC spoofing attack on my PC. I decided to investigate the situation so I checked my rules for my Semantec firewall and noticed 3 things listed. One was to grant traffic to and from "ndisuio.sys," one for "Host Process for Windows Services, termsrv.exe," and one for all applications in"ethernet type 0x888E."

I already researched 0x888E and based on my findings have determined it is only necessary for wireless connections (which I don't have any need for acquiring), so I changed the rule to block it. However, I'm wondering if anyone, perhaps more knowledgeable than myself, can confirm this and, if anyone can let me know whether it'd be safe to block the other two aforementioned traffic rules. In other words, is it safe to block all traffic to and from "ndisuio.sys" and "Host Process for Windows Services,termsrv.exe?" I suppose I could always just try blocking them one at a time to test it out (to determine if it'd disrupt normal internet connectivity), but I'd appreciate some helpful information from anyone from this community who might have some to offer.

Thank you for the assistance.