Permissions- Properties for folders, files and Read Only a..

Hello,
Sorry to be a winner but W-XP is a pita!! This is W-XP Prof., vs. 2002,
SP-2.
I find this OS very hard to get control of... it wants to over-ride and do
it's own thing. I'm very slowly winning the battle!!

I want to remove folder permissions for a partition that contains my folders
and files, the read-only attribute on *the folders* which I'm unable to
remove.

I can open a folder and change the all the file attributes from read-only,
however I'm unable to remove the read only attribute from all these folders.
I want to *remove any permission restrictions to my folders* and files on a
partition.

Rt. click fldr properties, security tab.... what does a check box which is
grayed and indeed has a check mark mean??
How can give Owner Creator full control over thousands of folders on a
partition, pls.??

Thank you,
Star
5 answers Last reply
More about permissions properties folders files read

    Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "Star" wrote:

    | Hello,
    | Sorry to be a winner but W-XP is a pita!! This is W-XP Prof., vs. 2002,
    | SP-2.
    | I find this OS very hard to get control of... it wants to over-ride and do
    | it's own thing. I'm very slowly winning the battle!!
    |
    | I want to remove folder permissions for a partition that contains my folders
    | and files, the read-only attribute on *the folders* which I'm unable to
    | remove.
    |
    | I can open a folder and change the all the file attributes from read-only,
    | however I'm unable to remove the read only attribute from all these folders.
    | I want to *remove any permission restrictions to my folders* and files on a
    | partition.
    |
    | Rt. click fldr properties, security tab.... what does a check box which is
    | grayed and indeed has a check mark mean??
    | How can give Owner Creator full control over thousands of folders on a
    | partition, pls.??
    |
    | Thank you,
    | Star

    Carey,
    I'm not sure... either I was not clear in my post or you didn't read my post
    ?

    I want to change folder attributes...
    I wrote this **paste**
    I can open a folder and change the all the file attributes from read-only,
    | however I'm unable to remove the read only attribute from all these
    folders.
    | I want to *remove any permission restrictions to my folders* and files on
    | partition.

    I **can** open all these folders!!

    However, I'm not sure if I have total permissions... I wrote this....
    **paste**
    Rt. click fldr properties, security tab.... what does a check box which is
    | grayed and indeed has a check mark mean??
    | How can give Owner Creator full control over thousands of folders on a
    | partition, pls.??

    Can I remove all security to folders on a partition or drive.... I want nada
    security applied to the folders ??

    Thanks, Star

    "Star" <star@everywhere.com> wrote:

    >I want to remove folder permissions for a partition that contains my folders
    >and files, the read-only attribute on *the folders* which I'm unable to
    >remove.
    >
    >I can open a folder and change the all the file attributes from read-only,
    >however I'm unable to remove the read only attribute from all these folders.
    >I want to *remove any permission restrictions to my folders* and files on a
    >partition.

    The "Read-only" attribute is meaningless for folders. What you are
    seeing is a "three-state" checkbox in its third state: grayed-out with
    a check. It's trying to tell you that the option doesn't really apply
    here.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)

    Thank you,
    This is a new install install of W-XP and I'm having a most difficult
    adjustment from W-98se, I'm not adjusting well at all... Personally, I just
    don't like many of the perks... if, you call them that in W-XP.

    The folders being checked as read-only is meaningless, then I probably do
    have full control, thxs.

    I did write another post in this thread, however I don't see it, strange,
    can you see it ??

    Can I disable the picture/fax viewer, remove it from the shell options and
    make it unavailable to myself ?? I have huge media fldrs. and it's
    constantly opening up !!

    I hate view-tiles, only icons, details and thumbnails, however tiles seems
    to be the default, how can I keep Windows from showing me tiles??

    Thxs. for answering my specific question, I do try to be clear... sometimes
    I fail !!

    Star

    "Tim Slattery" <Slattery_T@bls.gov> wrote in message
    > "Star" <star@everywhere.com> wrote:
    >

    >>I want to remove folder permissions for a partition that contains my
    >>folders
    >>and files, the read-only attribute on *the folders* which I'm unable to
    >>remove.
    >>
    >>I can open a folder and change the all the file attributes from read-only,
    >>however I'm unable to remove the read only attribute from all these
    >>folders.
    >>I want to *remove any permission restrictions to my folders* and files on
    >>partition.
    >
    > The "Read-only" attribute is meaningless for folders. What you are
    > seeing is a "three-state" checkbox in its third state: grayed-out with
    > a check. It's trying to tell you that the option doesn't really apply
    > here.
    >

    > --
    > Tim Slattery
    > MS MVP(DTS)
    > Slattery_T@bls.gov

    We all blame the dog when Carey makes noises here.... Chillout Star...

    - Winux P

    "Star" <star@everywhere.com> wrote in message
    > Carey,
    > I'm not sure... either I was not clear in my post or you didn't read my
    > post ?
    >
    > I want to change folder attributes...
    > I wrote this **paste**
    > I can open a folder and change the all the file attributes from read-only,
    > | however I'm unable to remove the read only attribute from all these
    > folders.
    > | I want to *remove any permission restrictions to my folders* and files
    > on a
    > | partition.
    >
    > I **can** open all these folders!!
    >
    > However, I'm not sure if I have total permissions... I wrote this....
    > **paste**
    > Rt. click fldr properties, security tab.... what does a check box which is
    > | grayed and indeed has a check mark mean??
    > | How can give Owner Creator full control over thousands of folders on a
    > | partition, pls.??
    >
    > Can I remove all security to folders on a partition or drive.... I want
    > nada security applied to the folders ??
    >
    > Thanks, Star

    >> Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881
    >>
    >> How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> "Star" wrote:
    >>
    >> | Hello,
    >> | Sorry to be a winner but W-XP is a pita!! This is W-XP Prof., vs.
    >> 2002,
    >> | SP-2.
    >> | I find this OS very hard to get control of... it wants to over-ride and
    >> do
    >> | it's own thing. I'm very slowly winning the battle!!
    >> |
    >> | I want to remove folder permissions for a partition that contains my
    >> folders
    >> | and files, the read-only attribute on *the folders* which I'm unable to
    >> | remove.
    >> |
    >> | I can open a folder and change the all the file attributes from
    >> read-only,
    >> | however I'm unable to remove the read only attribute from all these
    >> folders.
    >> | I want to *remove any permission restrictions to my folders* and files
    >> on a
    >> | partition.
    >> |
    >> | Rt. click fldr properties, security tab.... what does a check box which
    >> is
    >> | grayed and indeed has a check mark mean??
    >> | How can give Owner Creator full control over thousands of folders on a
    >> | partition, pls.??
    >> |
    >> | Thank you,
    >> | Star

Permissions Read Only Partition Windows XP