Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Permissions- Properties for folders, files and Read Only a..

Tags:
  • Permissions
  • Read Only
  • Partition
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
August 15, 2005 3:26:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hello,
Sorry to be a winner but W-XP is a pita!! This is W-XP Prof., vs. 2002,
SP-2.
I find this OS very hard to get control of... it wants to over-ride and do
it's own thing. I'm very slowly winning the battle!!

I want to remove folder permissions for a partition that contains my folders
and files, the read-only attribute on *the folders* which I'm unable to
remove.

I can open a folder and change the all the file attributes from read-only,
however I'm unable to remove the read only attribute from all these folders.
I want to *remove any permission restrictions to my folders* and files on a
partition.

Rt. click fldr properties, security tab.... what does a check box which is
grayed and indeed has a check mark mean??
How can give Owner Creator full control over thousands of folders on a
partition, pls.??

Thank you,
Star

More about : permissions properties folders files read

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 5:35:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Star" wrote:

| Hello,
| Sorry to be a winner but W-XP is a pita!! This is W-XP Prof., vs. 2002,
| SP-2.
| I find this OS very hard to get control of... it wants to over-ride and do
| it's own thing. I'm very slowly winning the battle!!
|
| I want to remove folder permissions for a partition that contains my folders
| and files, the read-only attribute on *the folders* which I'm unable to
| remove.
|
| I can open a folder and change the all the file attributes from read-only,
| however I'm unable to remove the read only attribute from all these folders.
| I want to *remove any permission restrictions to my folders* and files on a
| partition.
|
| Rt. click fldr properties, security tab.... what does a check box which is
| grayed and indeed has a check mark mean??
| How can give Owner Creator full control over thousands of folders on a
| partition, pls.??
|
| Thank you,
| Star
August 15, 2005 5:35:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Carey,
I'm not sure... either I was not clear in my post or you didn't read my post
?

I want to change folder attributes...
I wrote this **paste**
I can open a folder and change the all the file attributes from read-only,
| however I'm unable to remove the read only attribute from all these
folders.
| I want to *remove any permission restrictions to my folders* and files on
a
| partition.

I **can** open all these folders!!

However, I'm not sure if I have total permissions... I wrote this....
**paste**
Rt. click fldr properties, security tab.... what does a check box which is
| grayed and indeed has a check mark mean??
| How can give Owner Creator full control over thousands of folders on a
| partition, pls.??

Can I remove all security to folders on a partition or drive.... I want nada
security applied to the folders ??

Thanks, Star

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
news:eluVqgcoFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881
>
> How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "Star" wrote:
>
> | Hello,
> | Sorry to be a winner but W-XP is a pita!! This is W-XP Prof., vs. 2002,
> | SP-2.
> | I find this OS very hard to get control of... it wants to over-ride and
> do
> | it's own thing. I'm very slowly winning the battle!!
> |
> | I want to remove folder permissions for a partition that contains my
> folders
> | and files, the read-only attribute on *the folders* which I'm unable to
> | remove.
> |
> | I can open a folder and change the all the file attributes from
> read-only,
> | however I'm unable to remove the read only attribute from all these
> folders.
> | I want to *remove any permission restrictions to my folders* and files
> on a
> | partition.
> |
> | Rt. click fldr properties, security tab.... what does a check box which
> is
> | grayed and indeed has a check mark mean??
> | How can give Owner Creator full control over thousands of folders on a
> | partition, pls.??
> |
> | Thank you,
> | Star
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 8:10:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Star" <star@everywhere.com> wrote:

>
>I want to remove folder permissions for a partition that contains my folders
>and files, the read-only attribute on *the folders* which I'm unable to
>remove.
>
>I can open a folder and change the all the file attributes from read-only,
>however I'm unable to remove the read only attribute from all these folders.
>I want to *remove any permission restrictions to my folders* and files on a
>partition.

The "Read-only" attribute is meaningless for folders. What you are
seeing is a "three-state" checkbox in its third state: grayed-out with
a check. It's trying to tell you that the option doesn't really apply
here.


--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)
Slattery_T@bls.gov
August 15, 2005 8:10:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thank you,
This is a new install install of W-XP and I'm having a most difficult
adjustment from W-98se, I'm not adjusting well at all... Personally, I just
don't like many of the perks... if, you call them that in W-XP.

The folders being checked as read-only is meaningless, then I probably do
have full control, thxs.

I did write another post in this thread, however I don't see it, strange,
can you see it ??

Can I disable the picture/fax viewer, remove it from the shell options and
make it unavailable to myself ?? I have huge media fldrs. and it's
constantly opening up !!

I hate view-tiles, only icons, details and thumbnails, however tiles seems
to be the default, how can I keep Windows from showing me tiles??

Thxs. for answering my specific question, I do try to be clear... sometimes
I fail !!

Star

"Tim Slattery" <Slattery_T@bls.gov> wrote in message
news:tit1g117as2mkcp8tanptel0sibu580gft@4ax.com...
> "Star" <star@everywhere.com> wrote:
>
>>
>>I want to remove folder permissions for a partition that contains my
>>folders
>>and files, the read-only attribute on *the folders* which I'm unable to
>>remove.
>>
>>I can open a folder and change the all the file attributes from read-only,
>>however I'm unable to remove the read only attribute from all these
>>folders.
>>I want to *remove any permission restrictions to my folders* and files on
>>a
>>partition.
>
> The "Read-only" attribute is meaningless for folders. What you are
> seeing is a "three-state" checkbox in its third state: grayed-out with
> a check. It's trying to tell you that the option doesn't really apply
> here.
>
>
> --
> Tim Slattery
> MS MVP(DTS)
> Slattery_T@bls.gov
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 1:17:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

We all blame the dog when Carey makes noises here.... Chillout Star...

- Winux P

"Star" <star@everywhere.com> wrote in message
news:11g1qcbm0fmo85@corp.supernews.com...
> Carey,
> I'm not sure... either I was not clear in my post or you didn't read my
> post ?
>
> I want to change folder attributes...
> I wrote this **paste**
> I can open a folder and change the all the file attributes from read-only,
> | however I'm unable to remove the read only attribute from all these
> folders.
> | I want to *remove any permission restrictions to my folders* and files
> on a
> | partition.
>
> I **can** open all these folders!!
>
> However, I'm not sure if I have total permissions... I wrote this....
> **paste**
> Rt. click fldr properties, security tab.... what does a check box which is
> | grayed and indeed has a check mark mean??
> | How can give Owner Creator full control over thousands of folders on a
> | partition, pls.??
>
> Can I remove all security to folders on a partition or drive.... I want
> nada security applied to the folders ??
>
> Thanks, Star
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
> news:eluVqgcoFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881
>>
>> How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups
>>
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> "Star" wrote:
>>
>> | Hello,
>> | Sorry to be a winner but W-XP is a pita!! This is W-XP Prof., vs.
>> 2002,
>> | SP-2.
>> | I find this OS very hard to get control of... it wants to over-ride and
>> do
>> | it's own thing. I'm very slowly winning the battle!!
>> |
>> | I want to remove folder permissions for a partition that contains my
>> folders
>> | and files, the read-only attribute on *the folders* which I'm unable to
>> | remove.
>> |
>> | I can open a folder and change the all the file attributes from
>> read-only,
>> | however I'm unable to remove the read only attribute from all these
>> folders.
>> | I want to *remove any permission restrictions to my folders* and files
>> on a
>> | partition.
>> |
>> | Rt. click fldr properties, security tab.... what does a check box which
>> is
>> | grayed and indeed has a check mark mean??
>> | How can give Owner Creator full control over thousands of folders on a
>> | partition, pls.??
>> |
>> | Thank you,
>> | Star
>>
>
>