Another 3.06Ghz Heat Problem

ElecEagle

Distinguished
May 5, 2003
I just built two computers this weekend with the Intel P4 3.06Ghz (boxed) processor, Giga-byte GA-8inxp motherboard, 430w PS, GeForce4 Ti 4200 video, 1GB Corsair PC2700 memory, 40GB ATA-133 Maxtor ...nothing is overclocked.

Having a problem with heat on both computers (they are exactly alike). Have 80mm intake on front, 80mm exhaust on back, 5.25 drive-slot fan (with no drive in that slot), power supply fan, stock heatsink fan (with Artic Silver 3) , dual power daughterboard fan, chipset fan, and video card fan. Getting temps on CPU 47*C idle ...75*C (!!) running games (Everquest). Usually will run high 50*C - mid 60*C with just desktop apps. Max temp on this processor is supposed to be 69*C, but seems to run fine at 75*C ...no lockups, no weird happenings.

Question is, should I be overly concerned? I did install a Spark 7 heatsink maxxed at 6000rpm which lowered CPU temp about 3*C overall, but it was LOUD, so I put the stock heatsink back on. Stock heatsink fan is rated for 4500rpm, but never (and I mean NEVER) goes above 3200-3500 even at max temperature of 75*C. I don't have any means to measure the case temperature, but air coming out of the exhaust fan 'feels' cool to me. Air coming from the power supply is 'warm' - 'hot', but figure a 430W will produce a good bit of heat itself.

All in all, it's just frustrating. I've tried just about everything. Not overly against it, but would really hate to spend more and more money unless I can guarantee the 10*C+ decrease in temperature I know I need. Have checked and rechecked the position of the heatsink and proper amount of paste (reinstalled and reapplied paste x3 on each computer so far with no change to temperature).

Find it incredible that I'm having this much trouble running in spec ...not even thinking about overclocking until I can get the heat under control. Problem is occuring on two computers, configured exactly alike, so not likely I have damaged or malfunctioning heatsink (?). Any one else have ideas I haven't thought of yet?

jurians

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2003
im no expert but sounds like a temp sensor problem
is it placed correctly? what are u measuring the temp with?
im building the same system and im still deciding if i should use the same spark7 or the stock.. i hear stock is real good.. so dunno...

your making this up

me i have this processor and after using it for over 24hours the temps have calm down in the rang of 38C idle to 52C full load. Oh and my fan on the heeatsink is at 3300RPMs and is VERY quiet. I can hear my playstation 2 fan over my computer. No joke. Infact i am just about to post my weird experience with this processor's temps.

<updated>
oh ya using stock fan and artic silver 3 room temps are about in the mid 60's. The warmer the climate the warmer your computer. Remember that.
</update>

if you are actually serious and not being a dickhead then you probably don't have the heatsink on right. ALso you NEED thermal grease on the processor too.

"Bread makes me poop!" - Special Ed

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xxsk8er101xx on 05/05/03 04:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

I have had problems with a batch of Gigabyte GA-8INXP boards. It appears that some of these boards have had problems with the temp sensors reading incorrect temps.

I sent these boards back to my distributor and he replaced them. I didn't have any problems with the second batch.

You may have gotten a similar board. I would check with whoever sold you these boards, and inquire further.

<font color=blue> Computer fans are really cooling fans for the user. When they run, the user is cool, but whenever they break, the user starts sweating!! </font color=blue>

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
I've seen this problem myself with that CPU, with temps at slightly above 60 degrees using the boxed cooler that ran very loud. And my case wasn't all that poorly cooled, with case fans and all. The P4 3.06 is a hot-running CPU for sure.

The mainboard I saw in action was an ASUS P4G8X Deluxe, and both the BIOS (as I remember) and PC Probe showed temps at around 60 degrees under or very shortly after full load.

My system: AMD Athlon XP 3000+ CPU / TwinMOS 1Gb DDR400 / Soltek 75FRN-RL /
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro / Antec True Power 550W / Maxtor 80Gb ATA-133 / Hercules GTXP SC /
Samsung DVD / Lite-On CDRW<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sabbath1 on 05/13/03 07:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>