Missing keyboard folder in Device Manager

I'm sure this problem is my fault.

The computer came with a basic Compaq keyboard and scroll mouse. I swapped
the keyboard for a Microsoft Natural Multimedia keyboard and the mouse for a
Logitech optical mouse (both of which we already had). Initially the keyboard
and mouse worked fine, but next day on rebooting the mouse was fine, but when
I used the keyboard both it and the mouse froze. In troubleshooting the
problem, I intended to remove the keyboard driver [which is currently
Microsoft PS/2 keyboard (Intellitype Pro)], but instead of doing it _right_,
highlighted the keyboarrd driver and hit "delete," rather than using the
correct uninstall procedure.

As it stands now, if I boot with the original OEM keyboard and Logitech
mouse, the device manager shows the folder for "keyboard," and the keyboard
driver is listed. If I boot with the Microsoft keyboard, the device manager
has no folder for keyboard drivers.

I've also tried removing (correctly) and reinstalling the mouse driver and,
per a suggestion from Compaq Presario support, downloaded and installed an
update for Terminal Services, and made sure that it was set to load
automatically. Their current advice is to go back to a restore point where
the Microsoft keyboard worked -- but, of course, it apparently never seemed
to work properly.

I haven't found any other reference to my problem in searching the Web.
Obviously somewhere XP has stored an identification for the Microsoft
keyboard, but I haven't found any information on modifying/deleting that file.

Any ideas or pointers to information?

Compaq Presario SR1020T, Pentium 4 3.06 GHz, 512 Mb RAM, XP Home w/SP2 and
updates.

Thanks,
Northe
5 answers Last reply
More about missing keyboard folder device manager

    Northe wrote on Tue, 16 Aug 2005:

    >I tried your suggestions for both user accounts on the computer -- didn't
    >find any "ghost" drivers. I just may try booting with the Microsoft keyboard
    >and use the onscreen/accesibility keyboard to go through the procedure and
    >see what the device driver shows.
    >
    >As it stands, when I looked for the device drivers under device manager, I
    >found :
    >c:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\i8042prt.sys
    >c:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\kbdclass.sys
    >c:\WINDOWS\system32\mskbcoin.dll
    >
    >Again, thanks for your help!
    >Northe

    Hi Northe

    It's not the drivers but the "devices" in Device Manager I was
    recommending you have a look at -- for instance, under Keyboards, at the
    moment my Device Manager says: "Standard 101/102 key or Microsoft
    Natural Ps/2 keyboard".

    I was wondering if you might see a ghost of the Microsoft keyboard
    there, as well as the one you have currently working. Remember you have
    to check Show Hidden Devices in the View menu after setting the option
    in the Command window.

    Just out of interest, I checked my drivers, and I have the first 2 you
    mentioned.

    Is the problem keyboard a USB? If so, have you tried hot-plugging it in,
    with the system running?

    --
    Nightowl

    > Hi Northe
    >
    > It's not the drivers but the "devices" in Device Manager I was
    > recommending you have a look at -- for instance, under Keyboards, at the
    > moment my Device Manager says: "Standard 101/102 key or Microsoft
    > Natural Ps/2 keyboard".
    >
    > I was wondering if you might see a ghost of the Microsoft keyboard
    > there, as well as the one you have currently working. Remember you have
    > to check Show Hidden Devices in the View menu after setting the option
    > in the Command window.
    >
    > Just out of interest, I checked my drivers, and I have the first 2 you
    > mentioned.
    >
    > Is the problem keyboard a USB? If so, have you tried hot-plugging it in,
    > with the system running?
    >
    > --
    > Nightowl

    I did follow your steps, activated the devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    function and the _Show Hidden Devices_ in the device manager for both user
    accounts (both accounts have administrator privileges). Both accounts listed
    only one keyboard device. In my case it says : PS/2 Keyboard (Intellitype
    Pro) -- even though I don't have Intellitype Pro currently installed (removed
    via the add/remove software function).

    After that I opened up the device listing and that's where I found the
    files I mentioned.

    > Is the problem keyboard a USB? If so, have you tried hot-plugging it in,
    > with the system running?

    No, both keyboard and mouse are PS/2

    Northe

    Northe wrote on Tue, 16 Aug 2005:

    >I'll try it tomorrow morning (it's my wife's computer and I get up before
    >her).

    Good luck -- let us know what happens.

    --
    Nightowl

    > Oh dear :-( I have to admit I'm baffled. I remember you said the
    > problem keyboard worked just once, and now I'm wondering if maybe it's
    > simply faulty. Can you exchange it for another one? It's very strange
    > that Windows doesn't see it at all; it's not the PS/2 port, as you are
    > using that with the OEM keyboard, so I wonder if it could be a faulty
    > cable or something within the MS keyboard causing this.
    >
    > >The OEM keyboard works, and device driver once again shows Microsoft PS/2
    > >Keyboard (Intellitype Pro). You'd think that the system would have installed
    > >something more generic, wouldn't you?
    >
    > Yes. . . my keyboard is a Microsoft Digital Media Pro, and I *am* using
    > Intellitype, but Device Manager shows the generic "Standard 101/102 key
    > or Microsoft Natural Ps/2 keyboard".
    >
    > --
    > Nightowl

    We've got two of the same Natural Multimedia keyboards, and I've tried them
    both with the same results.

    I sure haven't seen this problem discussed anywhere else, either.

    I _do_ appreciate your help, though!

    Northe

    Northe wrote on Thu, 18 Aug 2005:

    >We've got two of the same Natural Multimedia keyboards, and I've tried them
    >both with the same results.
    >
    >I sure haven't seen this problem discussed anywhere else, either.
    >
    >I _do_ appreciate your help, though!

    Hey, you're welcome, Northe -- just wish I could come up with an answer.

    Just as a very long shot, could you try booting up with the problem
    keyboard and *without* your mouse? I vaguely remember reading something
    about someone's keyboard not being detected when the mouse was plugged
    in.

    Other than that I wonder if if could be an IRQ problem causing the
    keyboard not to be detected?

    --
    Nightowl

Mice Microsoft Keyboards Windows XP