4300S -- Hard drive problem?

Need advice on next step to get 4300S working. Several days ago,
computer showed blue screen on boot indicating need to repair NFTS
file. I never got a chance to fix since boot up subsequently was
impossible.

Current status: (1) On normal boot, computer only allows access to
BIOS setup (which appears normal) -- will not advance to boot process
(2) Diagnostic light on rear: green-green-green-yellow (not a good
thing?)
(3) Repair CD: boots, but does not allow repair -- reverts to c:
prompt when r is selected - prompt is inactive
(4) Dell diagnostic: shows problem with hard drive on test -- fails
immediately -- cannot find block 0 error

I'm out of ideas and don't like where this is heading. Thanks in
advance.

Replace the drive.

"KRC" <sprain195@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Need advice on next step to get 4300S working. Several days ago,
> computer showed blue screen on boot indicating need to repair NFTS
> file. I never got a chance to fix since boot up subsequently was
> impossible.
>
> Current status: (1) On normal boot, computer only allows access to
> BIOS setup (which appears normal) -- will not advance to boot process
> (2) Diagnostic light on rear: green-green-green-yellow (not a good
> thing?)
> (3) Repair CD: boots, but does not allow repair -- reverts to c:
> prompt when r is selected - prompt is inactive
> (4) Dell diagnostic: shows problem with hard drive on test -- fails
> immediately -- cannot find block 0 error
>
> I'm out of ideas and don't like where this is heading. Thanks in
> advance.

Susan

Appreciate the advice, but can't say I like the diagnosis. Any chance to
recover data on the drive?
"KRC" <sprain195@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Need advice on next step to get 4300S working. Several days ago,
> computer showed blue screen on boot indicating need to repair NFTS
> file. I never got a chance to fix since boot up subsequently was
> impossible.
>
> Current status: (1) On normal boot, computer only allows access to
> BIOS setup (which appears normal) -- will not advance to boot process
> (2) Diagnostic light on rear: green-green-green-yellow (not a good
> thing?)
> (3) Repair CD: boots, but does not allow repair -- reverts to c:
> prompt when r is selected - prompt is inactive
> (4) Dell diagnostic: shows problem with hard drive on test -- fails
> immediately -- cannot find block 0 error
>
> I'm out of ideas and don't like where this is heading. Thanks in
> advance.

Install a replacement drive and remove the faulty one. Then set up a new
copy of WIndows XP on the new drive. Try connecting the faulty drive and
copying what you need to it.

If that doesn't work, you've got a choice to make - if the data is valuable
enough, contact a data recovery services like Ontrack (www.ontrack.com) --
that option, however, is expensive (probably starting at $5000 for a
moderate size drive, and escalating from there).