I'm administering a heterogeneous TCP/IP-based network with Windows 98,
Windows 2000, Windows XP (2 computers), Linux, and SGI's IRIX. I have a
problem with one of the Windows XP computers. lets call it Laptop.

Laptop can see all of the other computers that put out Windows-accessible
shares and can browse any folder that shows up in its own Network
Neighborhood.

Everybody can see Laptop in Network Neighborhood

Everybody can see the shares on Laptop -- and everybody sees the same list
of shares

Everybody can browse Laptop's C-drive and E-Drive.

No one can browse either Laptop's main user's My Documents or the general
Shared Documents folders.

The machine is running Windows XP Pro with SP2 and (I believe) all of the
latest updates. The machine has a normal complement of software which
includes MS Office and Norton AV (but then so is the other Windows XP
computer which has no such problems).

Obviously there's something screwed up in the sharing settings for Laptop's
documents directory tree but I can't find it. Any suggestions would be
helpful.

TIA

Norm

In article
<aG5Me.612775$cg1.346009@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, "Norm
Dresner" <ndrez@att.net> wrote:
>I'm administering a heterogeneous TCP/IP-based network with Windows 98,
>Windows 2000, Windows XP (2 computers), Linux, and SGI's IRIX. I have a
>problem with one of the Windows XP computers. lets call it Laptop.
>
>Laptop can see all of the other computers that put out Windows-accessible
>shares and can browse any folder that shows up in its own Network
>Neighborhood.
>
>Everybody can see Laptop in Network Neighborhood
>
>Everybody can see the shares on Laptop -- and everybody sees the same list
>of shares
>
>Everybody can browse Laptop's C-drive and E-Drive.
>
>No one can browse either Laptop's main user's My Documents or the general
>Shared Documents folders.
>
>The machine is running Windows XP Pro with SP2 and (I believe) all of the
>latest updates. The machine has a normal complement of software which
>includes MS Office and Norton AV (but then so is the other Windows XP
>computer which has no such problems).
>
>Obviously there's something screwed up in the sharing settings for Laptop's
>documents directory tree but I can't find it. Any suggestions would be
>helpful.
>
>TIA
>
> Norm

Un-share and re-share the drives on Laptop and see if that solves the
problem.

If it doesn't, is simple file sharing enabled or disabled on Laptop?
To see, go to My Computer | Tools | Folder Options | View, and scroll
to the end of the list of advanced settings.

If simple file sharing is enabled, it blocks access to some folders
over the network. Disabling simple file sharing removes those
restrictions, but it requires defining an account on Laptop for each
user who wants to access it over the network.

If you disable simple file sharing to fix the problem, un-share and
re-share the drives before trying to access them over the network.

More information here:

Windows XP Professional File Sharing
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Steve

Unsharing and resharing didn't help and Simple File Sharing wasn't enabled,
and neither did disabling both the Windows firewall and Norton AV, BUT ...

The laptop was taken off the network and an attempt had been made to connect
it to another net so I did a System Restore to the date before the system
left the building.

I can now browse and store files into the Laptop's C-drive and E-drive ...
BUT ...

No computer on the network can get access to the main user's My Documents
directory or to the Shared Documents directory! I've tried this from two
different computers, both of which have the "same user" as the one on the
laptop and one of the two is actually logged in as that user. I also tried
explicitly sharing a single folder under the main user's My Documents and
there's no access to it either.

2/3 access is better than none, but it's still aggravating not to be able to
get to any folder under the C:\Documents And Settings folder. Any more
suggestions?

Norm