Dell dimension 2400 wont start

hermanfisher90

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
My Dell 2400 has a green power light and an amber light for drive. The hard drive and CD drives do not receivce power and dont power up. I have one light on diagnostic. Light D which is amber. When I remove IDE cable from connect on board the drive powers up.

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
I'm guessing that you are referring to the four back panel lights and your saying that only the far right light is lit, all others are unlit (lit but very dim maybe?)
Anyway according to Dell, that isn't suppose to light up that way but with an amber light at D and all others green, they recommend to "Ensure that the cables are properly connected to the system board from the hard drive, CD drive, and DVD drive" found here
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/advtshoo.htm
One thing also to look at inside the case, when you attempt to power on, are there any lights that do anything on the motherboard (near the 20 pin connector)?

khoward81

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012

I have a similar situation, the D is lit amber and all of the others are not lit at all. There is a green light on next to the board power input. The system will not boot to bios. I am wondering if this is an issue with the processor?

Tobias Vium

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
HI! I have an Dell Dimention 2400 i got for 10 bucks. It wont boot up, it wont even show the dell logo. It has integraded graphics and non of the indicator light on the back are lid? What do i do?! :-/

gtawwekid

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013

You should get a new CPU if you still have the computer.

eversuvok

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013
i agree with you,You should get a new CPU if you still have the computer.
16.gif