MM Restoration pics are up

Last response: in Video Games
July 1, 2005 1:50:27 AM

Just thought i'd share some pics of my MM restoration since John Wart
Jr. has been so kind to host them for me. You can find them @
http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/kevinlheu...
There are 2 seperate albums for the machine, a before and an after.

I would like to thank all the fine people here who have helped me
complete this project including but not limited to,
Jim Belsito,Tim Hanian, John Puckett, Mike Paris, Robert Winter, James
G., Bill Davis, Martin, Steve and Gloria @ PBR, Dave @ FAO, Allen
Shope, Rick @ BAA, John Wart Jr. and a few others I probably missed.

Here are the details:

MM Restoration

Cabinet Body-

The cabinet on this machine is in excellent condition especially
considering that it was on location for 6 years. It had the usual filth
associated with any route machine but wasn't as dirty as many i've
seen. Everything was removed and the interior of the cabinet was
completely sanded to remove all the dirt and the ugly black over-spray
that is common on MM's but not most other late model Williams/ Bally
titles.
Sides of the cabinet were painted with gloss black paint to look factory fresh
Bottom side of cabinet was also sanded to look NIB condition
Every harness was hand cleaned and detailed and clear harness sleeving
replaced where called for
Lockbar receiver was removed, cleaned and NOS Williams "Install 4
balls" and "Caution High Voltage Under Playfield" decals were installed
All cabinet bolts were removed and repainted
Cabinet was slightly touched up where necessary although Zero touch-up
was necessary on the head unit
I decided to give my Medieval Madness the gold treatment so all new
hardware was purchased in order to get the best possible results

Cabinet Head-

Head was completely stripped and all boards removed and had washed to
remove every spec of dirt including the metal plate that the boards
mount to
The head was also painted gloss black
Coil knocker assembly was replaced with an NOS unit
Translight assembly was completely disassembled and cleaned replacing
all 555 & 906 bulbs with new ones
All head bolts were removed and repainted

Parts used on cabinet
NOS Legs (18k gold)
NOS Leg Bolts (18k gold)
NOS Side rails (18k gold)
Side rail carriage bolts (18k gold)
NOS Lockdown bar (18k gold)
NOS Leg levelers
NOS Flipper buttons
NOS Coin door
NOS Start button
NOS Launch ball button
NOS Fliptronic opto interrupters
NOS Coil knocker assembly
NOS Williams "Install 4 balls" decal
NOS Williams "Caution High Voltage Under Playfield" decal
NOS laminated cabinet sheet
Clear cabinet harness sleeving

Playfield-

Playfield was COMPLETELY stripped and bottom side sanded to perfection
All lenses hand cleaned and polished
All Harnesses were completely removed and hand cleaned and detailed
Playfield touched up and clear-coated by Bill Davis
All assemblies were rebuilt or replaced using as many NOS parts as
available regardless of condition
All coils were replaced with new ones NOS regardless of condition.
New DMD display installed
New rubbers installed
Polished Pinballs installed
All ball guides regrained to look new
Brand new moat ramp
Brand new Damsel and Peasant ramps with refurbished harnesses.
I replaced the white and white/yellow wire in the switch harnesses with
brand new white and white/yellow wire to rid the game of the old
yellowed look that they get over time in the arcade
All clear plastics were either replace with new or torch polished to
look ultra clear
Castle assembly completely disassembled, cleaned and pivot pins hand
polished for nib quality operation
Left rear castle tower re-weighted for upright alignment to match the others
Castle assemblies custom painted by Treasurcove with NOS Scull decal
Dragon assembly custom painted by Treasurcove
Dragon LED mod by Tim Hanian
Protector set installed (Kerry Stair)
NOS merlin popper
Wireforms gold plated (18k gold)
Wireform machine screws gold plated (18k gold)
NOS Backboard decal
NOS Red star posts (All)
NOS Red plastic mini posts (All)
NOS Yellow Castle lock targets
NOS GE bulbs
NOS Kick/Score switch assemblies installed
NOS Moat jump ramp assembly
NOS Plastic set installed
NOS Dragon wings
NOS Jet bumper caps
NOS Green Flasher domes near castle for better effect
NOS Black/chrome lamp reflectors for castle
NOS Yellow lamp covers
NOS Drawbridge gears in cluster x4
NOS Drawbridge bushings

Jet bumper assemblies were completely disassembled and rebuilt using
NOS Coil brackets
NOS Coil retainer
NOS Springs
NOS Sleeves
NOS Coils
NOS Bodies
NOS Wafers
NOS Bumper caps
NOS Yokes, Bakelite & metal
NOS 555 wedge sockets
NOS plastic tubing used on GI strapping to protect from metal contact
with bumper brackets

Castle gate assembly was completely disassembled and rebuilt using
NOS castle gate
NOS castle gate actuator rod
NOS castle drawbridge
NOS castle decal set
Custom decal application at front of drawbridge using NOS decal

Troll assemblies were completely disassembled and rebuilt using
NOS Troll heads
NOS Troll flaps and springs
NOS Troll flap decals
NOS coils
NOS brown rubber bumpers in housing

Flipper assemblies rebuilt (actually all new) using
NOS Flipper plates
NOS EOS switch brackets
NOS Coil stops
NOS Flipper bushings
NOS bolt & nut hardware
NOS EOS switches
NOS Coils

Arch assembly cleaned and painted where necessary and NOS Sword decal applied

Mods-

Dragon LED Mod / LED's added to the dragon courtesy of Tim Hanian
Merlin light mod / Added a GI light to Merlin plastic
Custom Painted Castle and Dragon courtesy of Treasurecove

Back panel assembly was cleaned, repainted and NOS panel decal installed

--

Pins - M*M - M*B - L*O*T*R - A*F*M - R*F*M - S*T*T*N*G - R*F

Vids - D*nkey K*ong

Past Pins - H*S#1 - T*Z - H*S #2 - C*C - S*C

More about : restoration pics

July 1, 2005 1:50:28 AM

WOW, that's amazing. One question: why black rubber on your shiny "new"
game??

nomad
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 1:50:28 AM

are you aware that your "modified" pop bumper cap is in the wrong
position? the cut side goes to the shaft of the damsel divertor.

very nice work. looks awesome!
Dan

Kevin L'Heureux wrote:
> [...]
> NOS Troll flaps and springs
> NOS Troll flap decals
> NOS coils
> NOS brown rubber bumpers in housing
>
> Flipper assemblies rebuilt (actually all new) using
> NOS Flipper plates
> NOS EOS switch brackets
> NOS Coil stops
> NOS Flipper bushings
> NOS bolt & nut hardware
> NOS EOS switches
> NOS Coils
>
> Arch assembly cleaned and painted where necessary and NOS Sword decal
> applied
>
> Mods-
>
> Dragon LED Mod / LED's added to the dragon courtesy of Tim Hanian
> Merlin light mod / Added a GI light to Merlin plastic
> Custom Painted Castle and Dragon courtesy of Treasurecove
>
> Back panel assembly was cleaned, repainted and NOS panel decal installed

My compliments, Kevin. Looks damn nice. With all the details you
gave, you forgot one. Any idea how many hours you spent with the
restoration?

I see you have a MB next in line. I've done my MB and you can see pics
also on John's site.
http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/MB-restor...

I currently have my MM 1/4 torn apart and plan on the restoration to
take the next couple months at least.

You seem to have the same "sick" passion I have for the restoration
side of this hobby that many don't understand.

I hope my MM turns out as nice as yours. :-)

Bryan (CARGPB14) http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

"Warning! Achtung! Run away, Run away!: BK restorations may emit a
shower of sparks or flames or both. Keep a safe distance (like four
city blocks). Never return to a restoration once lit. Hot hot hot!"

(Sig line compliments of Clive at the Coin-Op Cauldron.)

Kevin L'Heureux wrote:
> [...]
>
> Flipper assemblies rebuilt (actually all new) using
> NOS Flipper plates
> NOS EOS switch brackets
> NOS Coil stops
> NOS Flipper bushings
> NOS bolt & nut hardware
> NOS EOS switches
> NOS Coils
>
> Arch assembly cleaned and painted where necessary and NOS Sword decal applied
>
> Mods-
>
> Dragon LED Mod / LED's added to the dragon courtesy of Tim Hanian
> Merlin light mod / Added a GI light to Merlin plastic
> Custom Painted Castle and Dragon courtesy of Treasurecove
>
> Back panel assembly was cleaned, repainted and NOS panel decal installed
>
> --
>
> Pins - M*M - M*B - L*O*T*R - A*F*M - R*F*M - S*T*T*N*G - R*F
>
> Vids - D*nkey K*ong
>
> Past Pins - H*S#1 - T*Z - H*S #2 - C*C - S*C
July 1, 2005 1:50:28 AM

Never thought of plating those screws.

And I am going to have to try those green flasher domes.
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 1:50:28 AM

NO, NO, NO, say it isn't so!!! I didn't even notice. MM is one pin
that I noticed will get VERY dirty, VERY fast with black rubber.

White is all I'll ever put on any of my pins. :-)

nomad wrote:
> WOW, that's amazing. One question: why black rubber on your shiny "new"
> game??
>
> nomad
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 1:50:28 AM

Looks great :D  good work!

I prefer silver over gold however.
July 1, 2005 2:12:53 AM

Very nice! I'm jealous!!

"Kevin L'Heureux" <tv-sound@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> NOS Flipper plates
> NOS EOS switch brackets
> NOS Coil stops
> NOS Flipper bushings
> NOS bolt & nut hardware
> NOS EOS switches
> NOS Coils
>
> Arch assembly cleaned and painted where necessary and NOS Sword decal
> applied
>
> Mods-
>
> Dragon LED Mod / LED's added to the dragon courtesy of Tim Hanian
> Merlin light mod / Added a GI light to Merlin plastic
> Custom Painted Castle and Dragon courtesy of Treasurecove
>
> Back panel assembly was cleaned, repainted and NOS panel decal installed
>
> --
>
> Pins - M*M - M*B - L*O*T*R - A*F*M - R*F*M - S*T*T*N*G - R*F
> Vids - D*nkey K*ong
> Past Pins - H*S#1 - T*Z - H*S #2 - C*C - S*C

July 1, 2005 2:43:32 AM

My MB went through a total strip down. The pf was clearcoated both
sides, the harnesses washed and every surface sanded and painted or
sealed. Every part was cleaned, ultrasonic or tumbler or both. I put it
back together with white rubbers and yellow post rubbers. Bottom line,
a completely clean machine.

After 300 plays, I have dirty flipper rubbers and the beginnings of
grey stripes on some of the rubbers. Not bad, a quick wipedown will get
it. With black rubbers, it would be dirty. On close examination, the pf
has little rubber smears on it. The black comes from the ball and
metal interaction.

At least I now know where pinball dirt comes from, and what it is.
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 3:23:03 AM

On 2005-06-30 15:21:27 -0700, "nomad" <damonoresky@hotmail.com> said:

> WOW, that's amazing. One question: why black rubber on your shiny "new"
> game??
>
> nomad

Because I just think that black goes nicer with the color scheme on MM
than white. Notice though that I did go with red flipper rubber. Now on
AFM for instance I think white is the perfect choice.
--

Pins - M*M - M*B - L*O*T*R - A*F*M - R*F*M - S*T*T*N*G - R*F

Vids - D*nkey K*ong

Past Pins - H*S#1 - T*Z - H*S #2 - C*C - S*C
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 3:25:07 AM

Bryan, at the rate of play that my games get versus the amount of time
I spend re-polishing them i am confident that you will never, ever, see
a spec of dirt on the playfield, even with black rubber! ;-)

--

Pins - M*M - M*B - L*O*T*R - A*F*M - R*F*M - S*T*T*N*G - R*F

Vids - D*nkey K*ong

Past Pins - H*S#1 - T*Z - H*S #2 - C*C - S*C
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 3:40:41 AM

It's hard to say how much time I have in it since i do a little here
and a little/lot there but I would guess well over 100 hours. The
entire proccess took me a bit over 3 months to complete.

I think i forgot to mention in the description that i replaced every
single micro-switch in the game so i didn't have to go back and mess
with flaky switches after i was done with the machine.

I had MB pics up awhile back on my old website but I need to now put
them on the new one. i did the MB about 2 years ago with a Bill D,
playfield and it still looks the same today as it did then with quite a
bit of play considering its home use.

I also have pics of my High Speed that I will post.

I have actually been restoring games for over 10 years, I just rarely
post pictures of them when i'm done.

--

Pins - M*M - M*B - L*O*T*R - A*F*M - R*F*M - S*T*T*N*G - R*F

Vids - D*nkey K*ong

Past Pins - H*S#1 - T*Z - H*S #2 - C*C - S*C
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 3:40:42 AM

Nice, very nice. Proves the point that the best work is done by guys who do
it for love, for themselves and don't always show it off, (though they
should). Btw, I went with black rubber on mine after a total rebuild (which
does get played a lot) and I've never had a pin get dirty so fast. I pulled
of all the accessible rubbers and changed to white, but the game still gets
dirty fast and I doubt I'll ever use black for anything but posts. Need to
strip down and replace the hard to get to black rubbers.

GRY

> [...]
>>> NOS bolt & nut hardware
>>> NOS EOS switches
>>> NOS Coils
>>>
>>> Arch assembly cleaned and painted where necessary and NOS Sword decal
>>> applied
>>>
>>> Mods-
>>>
>>> Dragon LED Mod / LED's added to the dragon courtesy of Tim Hanian
>>> Merlin light mod / Added a GI light to Merlin plastic
>>> Custom Painted Castle and Dragon courtesy of Treasurecove
>>>
>>> Back panel assembly was cleaned, repainted and NOS panel decal installed
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Pins - M*M - M*B - L*O*T*R - A*F*M - R*F*M - S*T*T*N*G - R*F
>>>
>>> Vids - D*nkey K*ong
>>> Past Pins - H*S#1 - T*Z - H*S #2 - C*C - S*C
>

> --
>
> Pins - M*M - M*B - L*O*T*R - A*F*M - R*F*M - S*T*T*N*G - R*F
> Vids - D*nkey K*ong
> Past Pins - H*S#1 - T*Z - H*S #2 - C*C - S*C

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 3:42:15 AM

On 2005-06-30 15:50:55 -0700, "Cayle George" <caylegeorge@gmail.com> said:

> Looks great :D  good work!
>
> I prefer silver over gold however.

I know, it was a tough decidsion to go gold, even after I had the parts
plated. I went back and fourth a hundred times but I figure I can
always take it off if i tire of it.
--

Pins - M*M - M*B - L*O*T*R - A*F*M - R*F*M - S*T*T*N*G - R*F

Vids - D*nkey K*ong

Past Pins - H*S#1 - T*Z - H*S #2 - C*C - S*C
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 3:46:44 AM

Damn! You're right. What was I smoking when I did that? Looks like i'm
not actually done yet.

On 2005-06-30 15:28:29 -0700, DWGoett <pinball@midamerica.net> said:

> [...]
>>
>> Flipper assemblies rebuilt (actually all new) using
>> NOS Flipper plates
>> NOS EOS switch brackets
>> NOS Coil stops
>> NOS Flipper bushings
>> NOS bolt & nut hardware
>> NOS EOS switches
>> NOS Coils
>>
>> Arch assembly cleaned and painted where necessary and NOS Sword decal applied
>>
>> Mods-
>>
>> Dragon LED Mod / LED's added to the dragon courtesy of Tim Hanian
>> Merlin light mod / Added a GI light to Merlin plastic
>> Custom Painted Castle and Dragon courtesy of Treasurecove
>>
>> Back panel assembly was cleaned, repainted and NOS panel decal installed

--

Pins - M*M - M*B - L*O*T*R - A*F*M - R*F*M - S*T*T*N*G - R*F

Vids - D*nkey K*ong

Past Pins - H*S#1 - T*Z - H*S #2 - C*C - S*C
July 1, 2005 3:46:45 AM

sorry, but thought a MM in that perfect of shape needs EVERYTHING perfect.

:)
Dan

July 1, 2005 4:10:33 AM

you my friend are absolutely right.

On 2005-06-30 16:53:39 -0700, DWGoett <pinball@midamerica.net> said:

> sorry, but thought a MM in that perfect of shape needs EVERYTHING perfect.
>
> :)
> Dan
>

> Kevin L'Heureux wrote:
>> Damn! You're right. What was I smoking when I did that? Looks like i'm
>> not actually done yet.
>>
>> On 2005-06-30 15:28:29 -0700, DWGoett <pinball@midamerica.net> said:
>>
>>> are you aware that your "modified" pop bumper cap is in the wrong
>>> position? the cut side goes to the shaft of the damsel divertor.
>>>
>>> very nice work. looks awesome!
>>> Dan

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 4:27:43 AM

In article <2005063016421543658%tvsound@sbcglobalnet>, Kevin L'Heureux <tv-sound@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>I know, it was a tough decidsion to go gold, even after I had the parts
>plated. I went back and fourth a hundred times but I figure I can
>always take it off if i tire of it.

Kevin,

The MM looks fantastic! If you don't mind, could you please tell us
more about the gold plating job you had done. Did you use NOS rails, legs and
ld bar and have them plated professionally? If so, what were your choices? I
see that you went with 18k gold? Was there a specific reason you went with
18k gold? Was it an expensive endeavor to have all of these parts plated?
What's the expected durability on these parts? Have you done this before and
if so, how have the plated parts stood the test of time?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just that I need to do the same
thing to my TAFG to get it looking good once again, and I'm REALLY impressed
with how yours turned out!

Thank in advance and great job once again!
Jeff Giesting

S_T_A_R G_A_Z_E_R Owners List: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/sg.html

My Homepage: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/

Remove the "nospam" from my e-mail address to send me a message.
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 4:27:44 AM

A splendid machine, Kevin.

How long do you think it'll be before an auction comes up on Ebay
from a resident of former eastern block country, using a stolen
account, using your pictures ?

No offense intended.
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 4:57:34 AM

Thanks for the compiments. I did use all nos parts for plating. i had
them done at a place in LA called General plating. I was reffered to
them from a friend who uses them quite often. it is usually quite
difficult to find a plater capable of plating large peices like
siderails so YMMV. I have heard of some horor stories when brass
plating parts due to the fact that the brass does not hold up very
well, especially on lockdown bars where there is a lot of skin contact.
When I talked to Alan at the plating co. he suggested going with gold
instead of brass due to it's superior look and he says, durability. We
decided to go 18k since it wasn't too yellow like 24k or too pale like
14k would be. He mentioned that the parts would not need to be
clearcoated after plating but i insisted that they were, just for my
peice of mind. So far after about one month of play testing the peices
are doing great with no disernable change in appearance whatsoever. I
do however wipe it down with a dry rag fairly often to keep smudges
off. I got a "friend" price so i do not know how much it would actually
cost depending on your plater but i wouldn't be surprised if it was up
to $1k for all these parts in gold. I'm not saying it will cost that
but some may want that. Shop around. A lot of platers I found have $700
minimums so find a place that will work with you. I would be more than
happy to pass along his # if you are interested but i would try to find
someone local to you if possible.

> Kevin,
>
> The MM looks fantastic! If you don't mind, could you please
> tell us more about the gold plating job you had done. Did you use NOS
> rails, legs and ld bar and have them plated professionally? If so,
> what were your choices? I see that you went with 18k gold? Was there
> a specific reason you went with 18k gold? Was it an expensive endeavor
> to have all of these parts plated? What's the expected durability on
> these parts? Have you done this before and if so, how have the plated
> parts stood the test of time?
>
> Sorry for all the questions, it's just that I need to do the
> same thing to my TAFG to get it looking good once again, and I'm REALLY
> impressed with how yours turned out!
>
> Thank in advance and great job once again!
> Jeff Giesting
>
> S_T_A_R G_A_Z_E_R Owners List: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/sg.html
>
> My Homepage: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/
>
> Remove the "nospam" from my e-mail address to send me a message.

--

Pins - M*M - M*B - L*O*T*R - A*F*M - R*F*M - S*T*T*N*G - R*F

Vids - D*nkey K*ong

Past Pins - H*S#1 - T*Z - H*S #2 - C*C - S*C
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 5:27:35 AM

In article <2005063017573316807%tvsound@sbcglobalnet>, Kevin L'Heureux <tv-sound@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>Thanks for the compiments. I did use all nos parts for plating. i had
>them done at a place in LA called General plating. I was reffered to
>them from a friend who uses them quite often. it is usually quite
>difficult to find a plater capable of plating large peices like
>siderails so YMMV. I have heard of some horor stories when brass
>plating parts due to the fact that the brass does not hold up very
>well, especially on lockdown bars where there is a lot of skin contact.
>When I talked to Alan at the plating co. he suggested going with gold
>instead of brass due to it's superior look and he says, durability. We
>decided to go 18k since it wasn't too yellow like 24k or too pale like
>14k would be. He mentioned that the parts would not need to be
>clearcoated after plating but i insisted that they were, just for my
>peice of mind. So far after about one month of play testing the peices
>are doing great with no disernable change in appearance whatsoever. I
>do however wipe it down with a dry rag fairly often to keep smudges
>off. I got a "friend" price so i do not know how much it would actually
>cost depending on your plater but i wouldn't be surprised if it was up
>to $1k for all these parts in gold. I'm not saying it will cost that
>but some may want that. Shop around. A lot of platers I found have $700
>minimums so find a place that will work with you. I would be more than
>happy to pass along his # if you are interested but i would try to find
>someone local to you if possible.

Thanks for the information, Kevin! It's much appreciated! I severly
underestimated the costs involved, but that's okay: At least now I have a
baseline from which to start.

Thanks again for your time!
Jeff Giesting

S_T_A_R G_A_Z_E_R Owners List: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/sg.html

My Homepage: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/

Remove the "nospam" from my e-mail address to send me a message.
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 3:56:54 PM

Nice work Kevin!

Someday I've got to get over there and see that thing in person...

Robert
-----
http://www.robertwinter.com

July 1, 2005 9:00:01 PM

On 2005-06-30 19:48:43 -0700, kul4skool1@hotmail.com said:

> A splendid machine, Kevin.
>
> How long do you think it'll be before an auction comes up on Ebay
> from a resident of former eastern block country, using a stolen
> account, using your pictures ?
>
> No offense intended.

I don't know. I guess there's not much i can do about it until it were
to happen. If it does and they link to the site I will be sure put up
pictures of dogs pooping for the bidders pleasure.
--

Pins - M*M - M*B - L*O*T*R - A*F*M - R*F*M - S*T*T*N*G - R*F

Vids - D*nkey K*ong

Past Pins - H*S#1 - T*Z - H*S #2 - C*C - S*C
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 4:02:00 AM

WOW.. very nice..

My favourite part - NOS GE lamps :)