Windows update freezing my computer!

I am trying to open Microsoft Windows Update,from my computer programs
and/or directly from the Microsoft site,and as soon as it starts loading the
page,it freezes the computer,this is a first! :-(
Any help appreciated

Alberto

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798

3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/windows_update_codes.htm and/or go to
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support link in left
pane > Solve problems on your own.

4. Windows Update Checklist:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm

5. Windows Update-specific newsgroup:

Archive of Windows Update newsgroup:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Alberto wrote:
> I am trying to open Microsoft Windows Update,from my computer programs
> and/or directly from the Microsoft site,and as soon as it starts loading
> the page,it freezes the computer,this is a first! :-(
> Any help appreciated
>
> Alberto

OK,I have run Adaware,SpyBot,done a System Restore,ran the AVG antivirus and
found nothing,reinstalled WinXP using my CD,and still the Windows Update
page freezes as soon as I open it,I can close it using Alt-Cotrol-Delete and
End Task,no problem.
I still do not understand what is happening.

Alberto
In the pages below,there seems to be no information on this particular
problem.Thanks anyways

> 1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section
of
> http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527
>
> 2. You cannot install some updates or programs
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798
>
> 3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
> associated with the download/install.
>
> How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=902093
>
> 3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/windows_update_codes.htm and/or go to
> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support link in
left
> pane > Solve problems on your own.
>
> 4. Windows Update Checklist:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm
>
> 5. Windows Update-specific newsgroup:
>
> Archive of Windows Update newsgroup:
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate
>
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
>
> Alberto wrote:
> > I am trying to open Microsoft Windows Update,from my computer programs
> > and/or directly from the Microsoft site,and as soon as it starts loading
> > the page,it freezes the computer,this is a first! :-(
> > Any help appreciated
> >
> > Alberto

OK,I found out I needed Service Pack 1 to be able to download patches,I went
to Microsoft Update and,after waiting for about 3 minutes for the page to
open,I got this address below
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/muoptdefault.aspx?ln=en&retur
nurl=http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

It looks like a legitimate MS site ,except for that " returnnurl "

Does it look like a legitimate MS site this one? It has a different look
from the one I have seen last time in Windows Update

Thanks

Alberto

"GreenieLeBrun" <GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Not a fix but a possible work around would be downloading
> patches/updates from
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en

Thanks to all that helped me through this,priceless help! :)
I appear to be running normally now,the problem with MS site,Windows
Update,looks like it was just extremely slow loading and that is why I was
sort of "frozen",I managed to find Service Pack 1,installed it,installed the
other Windows updates and I am running fine now.
Thanks again!
Regards

> Try this link:-

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d4d8a9a4-31fc-480b-
9cd9-adccb6997ce3&DisplayLang=en

It's legitimate. Somehow you installed the necessary files to use the new
Microsoft Update (consider it a combination of Windows Update and Office
Update). You should now see shortcuts to both Windows Update and Microsoft
Update in your Start menu. Either will take you to