Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows update freezing my computer!

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 12:05:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I am trying to open Microsoft Windows Update,from my computer programs
and/or directly from the Microsoft site,and as soon as it starts loading the
page,it freezes the computer,this is a first! :-(
Any help appreciated

Alberto
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 12:05:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798

3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/windows_update_cod... and/or go to
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support link in left
pane > Solve problems on your own.

4. Windows Update Checklist:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm

5. Windows Update-specific newsgroup:
news://msnews.microsoft.com/mi­crosoft.public.windowsupdate

Archive of Windows Update newsgroup:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.wi...

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

Alberto wrote:
> I am trying to open Microsoft Windows Update,from my computer programs
> and/or directly from the Microsoft site,and as soon as it starts loading
> the page,it freezes the computer,this is a first! :-(
> Any help appreciated
>
> Alberto
Related resources
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 2:28:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

OK,I have run Adaware,SpyBot,done a System Restore,ran the AVG antivirus and
found nothing,reinstalled WinXP using my CD,and still the Windows Update
page freezes as soon as I open it,I can close it using Alt-Cotrol-Delete and
End Task,no problem.
I still do not understand what is happening.

Alberto
In the pages below,there seems to be no information on this particular
problem.Thanks anyways


"PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:uVXmWedoFHA.2444@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> 1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section
of
> http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527
>
> 2. You cannot install some updates or programs
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798
>
> 3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
> associated with the download/install.
>
> How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=902093
>
> 3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/windows_update_cod... and/or go to
> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support link in
left
> pane > Solve problems on your own.
>
> 4. Windows Update Checklist:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm
>
> 5. Windows Update-specific newsgroup:
> news://msnews.microsoft.com/mi­crosoft.public.windowsupdate
>
> Archive of Windows Update newsgroup:
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.wi...
>
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
>
> Alberto wrote:
> > I am trying to open Microsoft Windows Update,from my computer programs
> > and/or directly from the Microsoft site,and as soon as it starts loading
> > the page,it freezes the computer,this is a first! :-(
> > Any help appreciated
> >
> > Alberto
>
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 3:56:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

OK,I found out I needed Service Pack 1 to be able to download patches,I went
to Microsoft Update and,after waiting for about 3 minutes for the page to
open,I got this address below
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/muoptdef...
nurl=http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default....

It looks like a legitimate MS site ,except for that " returnnurl "

Does it look like a legitimate MS site this one? It has a different look
from the one I have seen last time in Windows Update

Thanks

Alberto






"GreenieLeBrun" <GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1124145524.569892.255660@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Not a fix but a possible work around would be downloading
> patches/updates from
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displayl...
>
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 5:46:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks to all that helped me through this,priceless help! :-)
I appear to be running normally now,the problem with MS site,Windows
Update,looks like it was just extremely slow loading and that is why I was
sort of "frozen",I managed to find Service Pack 1,installed it,installed the
other Windows updates and I am running fine now.
Thanks again!
Regards

Alberto


"GreenieLeBrun" <GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1124150863.026635.253320@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Try this link:-
>
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
9cd9-adccb6997ce3&DisplayLang=en
>
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 10:32:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

It's legitimate. Somehow you installed the necessary files to use the new
Microsoft Update (consider it a combination of Windows Update and Office
Update). You should now see shortcuts to both Windows Update and Microsoft
Update in your Start menu. Either will take you to
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.....
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

Alberto wrote:
> OK,I found out I needed Service Pack 1 to be able to download patches,I
> went to Microsoft Update and,after waiting for about 3 minutes for the
> page to open,I got this address below
> http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/muoptdef...
> nurl=http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default....
>
> It looks like a legitimate MS site ,except for that " returnnurl "
>
> Does it look like a legitimate MS site this one? It has a different look
> from the one I have seen last time in Windows Update
>
> Thanks
>
> Alberto
>
>
>
>
>
>
> "GreenieLeBrun" <GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1124145524.569892.255660@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > Not a fix but a possible work around would be downloading
> > patches/updates from
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displayl...
!