Windows update freezing my computer!

I am trying to open Microsoft Windows Update,from my computer programs
and/or directly from the Microsoft site,and as soon as it starts loading the
page,it freezes the computer,this is a first! :-(
Any help appreciated

Alberto
7 answers Last reply
More about windows update freezing computer

    1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527

    2. You cannot install some updates or programs
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798

    3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
    associated with the download/install.

    How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=902093

    3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/windows_update_codes.htm and/or go to
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support link in left
    pane > Solve problems on your own.

    4. Windows Update Checklist:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm

    5. Windows Update-specific newsgroup:

    Archive of Windows Update newsgroup:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate

    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    Alberto wrote:
    > I am trying to open Microsoft Windows Update,from my computer programs
    > and/or directly from the Microsoft site,and as soon as it starts loading
    > the page,it freezes the computer,this is a first! :-(
    > Any help appreciated
    >
    > Alberto

    Not a fix but a possible work around would be downloading
    patches/updates from
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en

    OK,I have run Adaware,SpyBot,done a System Restore,ran the AVG antivirus and
    found nothing,reinstalled WinXP using my CD,and still the Windows Update
    page freezes as soon as I open it,I can close it using Alt-Cotrol-Delete and
    End Task,no problem.
    I still do not understand what is happening.

    Alberto
    In the pages below,there seems to be no information on this particular
    problem.Thanks anyways

    > 1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section
    of
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527
    >
    > 2. You cannot install some updates or programs
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798
    >
    > 3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
    > associated with the download/install.
    >
    > How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=902093
    >
    > 3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
    > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/windows_update_codes.htm and/or go to
    > http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support link in
    left
    > pane > Solve problems on your own.
    >
    > 4. Windows Update Checklist:
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm
    >
    > 5. Windows Update-specific newsgroup:
    >
    > Archive of Windows Update newsgroup:
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate
    >
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
    >
    > Alberto wrote:
    > > I am trying to open Microsoft Windows Update,from my computer programs
    > > and/or directly from the Microsoft site,and as soon as it starts loading
    > > the page,it freezes the computer,this is a first! :-(
    > > Any help appreciated
    > >
    > > Alberto

    OK,I found out I needed Service Pack 1 to be able to download patches,I went
    to Microsoft Update and,after waiting for about 3 minutes for the page to
    open,I got this address below
    http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/muoptdefault.aspx?ln=en&retur
    nurl=http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

    It looks like a legitimate MS site ,except for that " returnnurl "

    Does it look like a legitimate MS site this one? It has a different look
    from the one I have seen last time in Windows Update

    Thanks

    Alberto

    "GreenieLeBrun" <GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Not a fix but a possible work around would be downloading
    > patches/updates from
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en

    Thanks to all that helped me through this,priceless help! :-)
    I appear to be running normally now,the problem with MS site,Windows
    Update,looks like it was just extremely slow loading and that is why I was
    sort of "frozen",I managed to find Service Pack 1,installed it,installed the
    other Windows updates and I am running fine now.
    Thanks again!
    Regards

    > Try this link:-

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d4d8a9a4-31fc-480b-
    9cd9-adccb6997ce3&DisplayLang=en

    It's legitimate. Somehow you installed the necessary files to use the new
    Microsoft Update (consider it a combination of Windows Update and Office
    Update). You should now see shortcuts to both Windows Update and Microsoft
    Update in your Start menu. Either will take you to

    Alberto wrote:
    > OK,I found out I needed Service Pack 1 to be able to download patches,I
    > went to Microsoft Update and,after waiting for about 3 minutes for the
    > page to open,I got this address below
    > http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/muoptdefault.aspx?ln=en&retur
    > nurl=http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us
    >
    > It looks like a legitimate MS site ,except for that " returnnurl "
    >
    > Does it look like a legitimate MS site this one? It has a different look
    > from the one I have seen last time in Windows Update
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Alberto
    >

    > "GreenieLeBrun" <GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Not a fix but a possible work around would be downloading
    > > patches/updates from
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en

Computers Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP