Solved

Monitor wont work with new build

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 4, 2010 3:56:57 AM

ECS A785GM-M5 1.0 AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Just purchased this motherboard and got it with a combo chip:
AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 45W Single-Core Processor

Ok, installed all of that in this case:
Linkworld 313-06-C2228 Blue/ Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (called Ninja)

The monitor is an old CRT HP.
The Power Supply is 450 W

There is no OS yet.

When the monitor is not plugged in, it displays classic "check the video cable" message because it is not connected to anything. When the monitor gets plugged into the onboard (which felt loose upon connection), the monitor flashes with a little swirl of colors and the status light goes to standby orange. When unplugged, the "check video cable" message immediately comes back on. We installed a low-grade Geforce 5200 card, same result. Tried another monitor (flat screen CRT), same result. Tried DVI adapter, but the onboard connector is too small.

Monitor works fine with other computers. It seems that the issue is when it touches anything connected to the mobo. However, mobo powers up fine, no beeps, everything else connected to it seems to work. Any ideas??

I am in despair because this is the second mobo I've tried to get working for my brother (other was a blasted Btx that only supported 775 socket pentium 4 and you can only get them refurbished and I keep getting bad ones), and he is beyond believing he will ever have working puter and we have spent at least 300 dollars on trying to build him a computer. This bad luck is making the blues contagious. Please help!
a b C Monitor
a b V Motherboard
March 16, 2010 2:50:47 AM

You may need to use a different monitor, and adjust the monitor refresh setting.

Can you get into safe mode by tapping F8 on startup?
Related resources
March 16, 2010 3:27:25 PM

There is no OS yet. I have tried a different monitor with the same result.
a b C Monitor
a b V Motherboard
March 16, 2010 3:33:39 PM

No beeps....Sounds like you aren't even POSTing. Did you plug in the 4/8 pin CPU power?
March 23, 2010 12:13:35 AM

Yes, I plugged that in. But, you are right that it should have at least a beep for post. Hmm. I found an article that suggests I might want to check capacitors as well.

Best solution

a b C Monitor
a b V Motherboard
March 23, 2010 12:16:34 AM

Here's an excellent checklist for new build problems.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
March 30, 2010 1:41:13 AM

Best answer selected by Caradavin.
a b C Monitor
a b V Motherboard
March 30, 2010 1:57:29 AM

Thanks for the vote :) 

Did the checklist help you?
March 31, 2010 9:01:12 PM

Um, not yet, but I kept getting those emails to choose the best answer, choose the best answer, so I thought yours sounded most feasible to someone who is new to building. I'm still trying to troubleshoot.
a b C Monitor
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2010 9:05:13 PM

If I can be of any help, just let me know.
!