First time builder(first time using forums too)

ive posted a time or two about a new computer. basically im in high school (senior)and dad said he'll give me a 1000 dollars for graduation. so, i want a new computer. its probably gonna be used mostly for gaming and watching dvd's and listening to music. im moving in with him for awhile(divorced parents) and he has a whole 6 channels of tv :P so want a computer to keep myself busy. so anyways, like i said. new computer with a thousand dollars to work with. i can go more, im gonna be working to get more money if i need it, but not over 1300. any suggestions for what to get? what i was looking at is...

asus a7n8x deluxe $137.99
amd xp 2800+ $225.50(unless 2700+ will be good enough $180)
corsair memory xms series, pc2700 333mhz 2x512 $194 ($95 each)
lite on 52x24x52 cdrw $45.50
lite on 16x dvd $33.00
wester dig. 80 gig 8mb 7200 rpm $94.00
Logitech Z560 speakers $139.00

Total(including shipping for this stuff): $900.49

Thats the basics of what i want. i would like to stay around the 1000 dollar price range, but ill go a little higher like i said. no monitor, keyboard, mouse, or OS needed. Is 1 gig of ram overkill for what im doing? Suggestions for: what case, case fans, cpu fans, and power supply. Ill change other things if theres better stuff for tad more or cheaper. also do i need a sound card with this motherboard, heard the built in one is good enough. i might overclock if its easy enough ;)
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by CatMan on 05/06/03 07:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
4 answers Last reply
More about first time builder first time forums
  1. Before you order that A7N8X motherboard... do some forum searches for it. Note that a lot of traffic here has been about that board and nobody's bragging!

You may want to look into a different Motherboard. The rest should be fine.

---><font color=green>It ain't better if it don't work</font color=green><---
  2. Soltek, make some great boards. Look into the SL-72FRN2, boards. I have a SL-75FRN2-RL ($92.00 from www.google.com) and I love it. Also you really don't need that much ram, go with 2x256 (corsair makes good memory chips).
  3. You could even go with a Barton 2500. <A HREF="http://newegg.com/" target="_new">newegg</A> has them for $133 retail. That would be plenty to play new games. The more important factor for new games is your video card. I'd drop the memory to 512 (2x256), get a Barton and put the money you saved into a video card. Tho now that I look again you didn't list what video card you were planing to get.

"Quotes are for people that can't think for themselves"
  4. Wheres the video card? If money is your concern, do you really need that expensive RAM.

--------
    The only thing i know...

is that i know nothing at all.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Computer