W-XP w/SP-2 and hp mf printer install problems *big time*

August 15, 2005 7:33:10 PM

Hello,
I will try to brief... I have the hp psc 1209 mf printer, this printer would
install correctly on W-98se, however it will not on
W-XP and much tbs'ing has been done!! Has anyone encountered this problem??
I spent wks. on the hp website doing on the tbs'ing, nada the install would
repeatedly fail !!

I finally went to hp support via phone and have spent hrs. installing and
uninstalling w/various hp techs and the printer won't install, **actually
the s/w fails at the end of the install** !! This appears to be a W-XP
problem, finally I was told to remove SP-2 and a different method of
install was attempted via a techs phone instructions, and it failed again!!

This isn't a driver problem, when the printer is turned on all the drivers
are installed, but after the drivers are installed the end crucial step
fails w/the hp software. They even sent me out a new install CD and it still
the w/w fails!!

A tech has helped me **mickey mouse** it together, manually copying a
installer from the CD into a fldr on my hdrive and I am now able to print
and scan, however much of the hp s/w doesn't work, which I will have to live
with. I can use the WIA for scanning and like I mentioned the printer is
working great !!

Has anyone else had this terrible problem w/W-XP, if so, were you ever able
to resolve it ??

Would appreciate any input ??

Thxs. Star
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 17, 2005 1:08:32 AM

Star wrote:
> Hello,
> I will try to brief... I have the hp psc 1209 mf printer, this printer would
> install correctly on W-98se, however it will not on
> W-XP and much tbs'ing has been done!! Has anyone encountered this problem??
> I spent wks. on the hp website doing on the tbs'ing, nada the install would
> repeatedly fail !!
>
> I finally went to hp support via phone and have spent hrs. installing and
> uninstalling w/various hp techs and the printer won't install, **actually
> the s/w fails at the end of the install** !! This appears to be a W-XP
> problem, finally I was told to remove SP-2 and a different method of
> install was attempted via a techs phone instructions, and it failed again!!
>
> This isn't a driver problem, when the printer is turned on all the drivers
> are installed, but after the drivers are installed the end crucial step
> fails w/the hp software. They even sent me out a new install CD and it still
> the w/w fails!!
>
> A tech has helped me **mickey mouse** it together, manually copying a
> installer from the CD into a fldr on my hdrive and I am now able to print
> and scan, however much of the hp s/w doesn't work, which I will have to live
> with. I can use the WIA for scanning and like I mentioned the printer is
> working great !!
>
> Has anyone else had this terrible problem w/W-XP, if so, were you ever able
> to resolve it ??
>
> Would appreciate any input ??
>
> Thxs. Star

Star, I have an HP Scanjet6200C that works perfectly with Win2K, XP SP1
and that is it. After I "upgraded" to SP2 the scanner no longer works.
Boot back to Win2K or even Xandros Business Edition and it works just
like it should. I sincerely hope that SP2 eventually turns out to be
worth the effort. BTW, before someone leaps to the defense of SP2, this
is true (and a real PITA) on three different machines.
August 17, 2005 2:50:45 PM

TOF wrote on Tue, 16 Aug 2005:

>Star, I have an HP Scanjet6200C that works perfectly with Win2K, XP SP1
>and that is it. After I "upgraded" to SP2 the scanner no longer works.
>Boot back to Win2K or even Xandros Business Edition and it works just
>like it should. I sincerely hope that SP2 eventually turns out to be
>worth the effort. BTW, before someone leaps to the defense of SP2,
>this is true (and a real PITA) on three different machines.

I have an old HP 4c scanner in Win XP SP2 working via an Adaptec
USBXchange cable. Device Manager detects it as "HP 6100c or 4c/3c" and
the HP software for scanning, photocopying etc. works perfectly.

I *did* have a lot of trouble installing it on XP initially. The problem
turned out to be that the scanner needed an IRQ allocated. Worth a try?

--
Nightowl
!