W-XP w/SP-2 and hp mf printer install problems *big time*

Hello,
I will try to brief... I have the hp psc 1209 mf printer, this printer would
install correctly on W-98se, however it will not on
W-XP and much tbs'ing has been done!! Has anyone encountered this problem??
I spent wks. on the hp website doing on the tbs'ing, nada the install would
repeatedly fail !!

I finally went to hp support via phone and have spent hrs. installing and
uninstalling w/various hp techs and the printer won't install, **actually
the s/w fails at the end of the install** !! This appears to be a W-XP
problem, finally I was told to remove SP-2 and a different method of
install was attempted via a techs phone instructions, and it failed again!!

This isn't a driver problem, when the printer is turned on all the drivers
are installed, but after the drivers are installed the end crucial step
fails w/the hp software. They even sent me out a new install CD and it still
the w/w fails!!

A tech has helped me **mickey mouse** it together, manually copying a
installer from the CD into a fldr on my hdrive and I am now able to print
and scan, however much of the hp s/w doesn't work, which I will have to live
with. I can use the WIA for scanning and like I mentioned the printer is
working great !!

Has anyone else had this terrible problem w/W-XP, if so, were you ever able
to resolve it ??

Would appreciate any input ??

Thxs. Star
2 answers Last reply
More about printer install problems time

    Star wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I will try to brief... I have the hp psc 1209 mf printer, this printer would
    > install correctly on W-98se, however it will not on
    > W-XP and much tbs'ing has been done!! Has anyone encountered this problem??
    > I spent wks. on the hp website doing on the tbs'ing, nada the install would
    > repeatedly fail !!
    >
    > I finally went to hp support via phone and have spent hrs. installing and
    > uninstalling w/various hp techs and the printer won't install, **actually
    > the s/w fails at the end of the install** !! This appears to be a W-XP
    > problem, finally I was told to remove SP-2 and a different method of
    > install was attempted via a techs phone instructions, and it failed again!!
    >
    > This isn't a driver problem, when the printer is turned on all the drivers
    > are installed, but after the drivers are installed the end crucial step
    > fails w/the hp software. They even sent me out a new install CD and it still
    > the w/w fails!!
    >
    > A tech has helped me **mickey mouse** it together, manually copying a
    > installer from the CD into a fldr on my hdrive and I am now able to print
    > and scan, however much of the hp s/w doesn't work, which I will have to live
    > with. I can use the WIA for scanning and like I mentioned the printer is
    > working great !!
    >
    > Has anyone else had this terrible problem w/W-XP, if so, were you ever able
    > to resolve it ??
    >
    > Would appreciate any input ??
    >
    > Thxs. Star

    Star, I have an HP Scanjet6200C that works perfectly with Win2K, XP SP1
    and that is it. After I "upgraded" to SP2 the scanner no longer works.
    Boot back to Win2K or even Xandros Business Edition and it works just
    like it should. I sincerely hope that SP2 eventually turns out to be
    worth the effort. BTW, before someone leaps to the defense of SP2, this
    is true (and a real PITA) on three different machines.

    TOF wrote on Tue, 16 Aug 2005:

    >Star, I have an HP Scanjet6200C that works perfectly with Win2K, XP SP1
    >and that is it. After I "upgraded" to SP2 the scanner no longer works.
    >Boot back to Win2K or even Xandros Business Edition and it works just
    >like it should. I sincerely hope that SP2 eventually turns out to be
    >worth the effort. BTW, before someone leaps to the defense of SP2,
    >this is true (and a real PITA) on three different machines.

    I have an old HP 4c scanner in Win XP SP2 working via an Adaptec
    USBXchange cable. Device Manager detects it as "HP 6100c or 4c/3c" and
    the HP software for scanning, photocopying etc. works perfectly.

    I *did* have a lot of trouble installing it on XP initially. The problem
    turned out to be that the scanner needed an IRQ allocated. Worth a try?

    --
    Nightowl

Printers Hewlett Packard Windows XP