Problems with Windows updates

Got a brand new Dell PC XP SP2. When trying to do Windows Updates it gets to
the updates website. However if I select "Express" or "Custom" I get and
error page with this message.

"The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
problem". There is also a Error Number displayed: 0x80072EEF

Well needless to say the options below do not help me solve this problem.

You receive an "Error 0x80072EE2" or an "Error 0x80072EFD" error message
if you try to use the Microsoft Windows Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836941&Product=wupd

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"AllenM" wrote:

| Got a brand new Dell PC XP SP2. When trying to do Windows Updates it gets to
| the updates website. However if I select "Express" or "Custom" I get and
| error page with this message.
|
| "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
| trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
| problem". There is also a Error Number displayed: 0x80072EEF
|
| Well needless to say the options below do not help me solve this problem.
| Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It is definitely 0x80072EEF

> You receive an "Error 0x80072EE2" or an "Error 0x80072EFD" error message
> if you try to use the Microsoft Windows Update Web site
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836941&Product=wupd
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "AllenM" wrote:
>
> | Got a brand new Dell PC XP SP2. When trying to do Windows Updates it
> gets to
> | the updates website. However if I select "Express" or "Custom" I get and
> | error page with this message.
> |
> | "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you
> are
> | trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
> | problem". There is also a Error Number displayed: 0x80072EEF
> |
> | Well needless to say the options below do not help me solve this
> problem.
> | Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Then click the link Carey posted.

The article is for both Error 0x80072EE2 and Error 0x80072EFD

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23K73I6eoFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
AllenM <allen.miyake@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> It is definitely 0x80072EEF

>> You receive an "Error 0x80072EE2" or an "Error 0x80072EFD" error message
>> if you try to use the Microsoft Windows Update Web site

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836941&Product=wupd

>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

------------------

>> "AllenM" wrote:
>>
>>> Got a brand new Dell PC XP SP2. When trying to do Windows Updates it
>>> gets to the updates website. However if I select "Express" or "Custom"
>>> I get and error page with this message.
>>>
>>> "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you
>>> are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
>>> problem". There is also a Error Number displayed: 0x80072EEF
>>>
>>> Well needless to say the options below do not help me solve this
>>> problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Wesley,
Please note the error code I listed. It is neither of them unless you're
telling me that this will work for that error code also.

> Then click the link Carey posted.
>
> The article is for both Error 0x80072EE2 and Error 0x80072EFD
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:%23K73I6eoFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> AllenM <allen.miyake@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>> It is definitely 0x80072EEF
>>
>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
>>> You receive an "Error 0x80072EE2" or an "Error 0x80072EFD" error message
>>> if you try to use the Microsoft Windows Update Web site
>>>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836941&Product=wupd
>>>
>>> --
>>> Carey Frisch
>>> Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>>> Microsoft Newsgroups

> ------------------

Oops. Even after I got the code right I was still getting confused.

Nothing for a Windows Update 0x80072EEF error in either v5 or v6 WU Help or
MSKB.

Look here if you like...
http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?catalog=LCID%3D1033&query=0x80072EEF&x=13&y=13

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23Xu0NBfoFHA.3996@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
AllenM <allen.miyake@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley,
> Please note the error code I listed. It is neither of them unless you're
> telling me that this will work for that error code also.

>> Then click the link Carey posted.
>>
>> The article is for both Error 0x80072EE2 and Error 0x80072EFD
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:%23K73I6eoFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>> AllenM <allen.miyake@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> It is definitely 0x80072EEF
>>>
>>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836941&Product=wupd

Allen,

Is this pc a standalone or home pc, OR, is it in a company network environment? If the latter, check with your system administrator.

The error 0x80072EEF is supposed to mean "internet login failure". Very rare.
But given you saw this on your screen, take the next step and look at the actual entry in the update log file.

Use Notepad or Wordpad and open & look at the Windows Update log file
C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log or C:\WINNT\WindowsUpdate.log

Scroll down all the way for the set of lines for the last session.
Look for the first Error for the last session. Is it the same?

If you get stuck, I'd suggest you post a new message at Windows Update newsgroup.
microsoft.public.windowsupdate

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

"AllenM" wrote
> Wesley,
> Please note the error code I listed. It is neither of them unless you're
> telling me that this will work for that error code also.
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote

>> Then click the link Carey posted.
>>
>> The article is for both Error 0x80072EE2 and Error 0x80072EFD
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

Sorry, but overlooked a couple more suggestions. Be sure your system is not using some sort of anonymizer utility, anything that hides the identity of your Internet Explorer browser.
Matter of fact, close your startup programs & utilities, except for your firewall.

If you are using a firewall, which is it? and have you checked it's "white" list (the section where you add "safe"/"friendly" sites so you can add a few microsoft sites?

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883821
You may receive an error message when you search for available updates on the Windows
Update Web site
0x80072EE7 error code

--
Peter

0x80072EEF not 0x80072EE7

F not 7 had me confused also.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23QDY6NfoFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Peter Foldes <okf22@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883821
> You may receive an error message when you search for available updates on
> the Windows
> Update Web site
> 0x80072EE7 error code
>

> --
> Peter

>> Oops. Even after I got the code right I was still getting confused.
>>
>> Nothing for a Windows Update 0x80072EEF error in either v5 or v6 WU Help
>> or MSKB.
>>
>> Look here if you like...

http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?catalog=LCID%3D1033&query=0x80072EEF&x=13&y=13

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:%23Xu0NBfoFHA.3996@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> AllenM <allen.miyake@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Wesley,
>>> Please note the error code I listed. It is neither of them unless you're
>>> telling me that this will work for that error code also.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836941&Product=wupd

>> --

Peter,

I did pass it on to you.

If you mean this one

http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/showarticle.aspx?articleid=22&ln=en

from

http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Windows/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/2005-05/msg02027.html

or

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_thread/thread/950527d9a8fb47f/8c78bf34532460b6?lnk=st&q=%22I+searched+for+0x80072EEF,+and+apparently+it+translates+to+an+Internet+login%22&rnum=2&hl=en#8c78bf34532460b6

She also had our problem, it's also 0x80072EE7. <LOL>

I found that earlier and was almost confused enough to post it. ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eUAQAegoFHA.468@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Peter Foldes <okf22@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> The only thing I found was a post by TaurArien in the Windows Update
> group refereing to this as per below to an OP
> with the 0x80072EEF error
>
> I searched for 0x80072EEF, and apparently it translates to an Internet
> login
> failure. This happens when a proxy server blocks access to a general site
> without a password to get out, or when BITS attempts to automatically
> download the updates while you are not connected to the Internet.
>

> Error 0x8024401B is:
> SUS_E_PT_HTTP_STATUS_PROXY_AUTH_REQ
> Http status 407 - proxy authentication required

> Peter

>> 0x80072EEF not 0x80072EE7
>>
>> F not 7 had me confused also.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:%23QDY6NfoFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> Peter Foldes <okf22@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883821
>>> You may receive an error message when you search for available updates
>>> on the Windows
>>> Update Web site
>>> 0x80072EE7 error code
>>>

>>> --
>>> Peter
>>>
>>> Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
>>> Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?catalog=LCID%3D1033&query=0x80072EEF&x=13&y=13

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836941&Product=wupd

Thanks Maurice,
I'm pretty sure I know where the problem exists. I am in a network
environment although the computer is not part of the domain I am passing
through my proxy server and using an administrators login to validate to.
Seeing how my domain computers habe no issues I am just going to join the
domain and use the firewall client and then will remove it and join it back
to the workgroup. By the way this is a pc for my boss to use at home. Hence
not joining the domain and adding the FW client. Thanks to all for the
suggestions.

"Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
Allen,

Is this pc a standalone or home pc, OR, is it in a company network
environment? If the latter, check with your system administrator.

The error 0x80072EEF is supposed to mean "internet login failure". Very
rare.
But given you saw this on your screen, take the next step and look at the
actual entry in the update log file.

Use Notepad or Wordpad and open & look at the Windows Update log file
C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log or C:\WINNT\WindowsUpdate.log

Scroll down all the way for the set of lines for the last session.
Look for the first Error for the last session. Is it the same?

If you get stuck, I'd suggest you post a new message at Windows Update
newsgroup.
microsoft.public.windowsupdate

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User
-----

"AllenM" wrote
> Wesley,
> Please note the error code I listed. It is neither of them unless you're
> telling me that this will work for that error code also.
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote

>> Then click the link Carey posted.
>>
>> The article is for both Error 0x80072EE2 and Error 0x80072EFD
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

Well it does appear it was my ISA server that was the issue. Once I loaded
the ISA Firewall Client (no need to join my doamin) onto the pc all went
fine. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Sorry, but overlooked a couple more suggestions. Be sure your system is not
using some sort of anonymizer utility, anything that hides the identity of
your Internet Explorer browser.
Matter of fact, close your startup programs & utilities, except for your
firewall.

If you are using a firewall, which is it? and have you checked it's "white"
list (the section where you add "safe"/"friendly" sites so you can add a few
microsoft sites?

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User
-----

Using a proxy server does complicate things. Thanks for mentioning that. Now it's easier to see why that error cropped up.

See if you had / have following settings:
I. E. Tools >Internet Options > Advanced Tab > (scroll down thru the list)

These are "some" of the items that I do have CHECKed (selected):
Under HTTP 1.1 settings --
Use HTTP 1.1 (ON / Selected)
+ Enable / check to use HTTP 1.1 with proxy servers **** <<----

Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Connections Tab Click
on LAN Settings > * Uncheck* the Automatically detect settings.
Make sure _no other_ settings on this screen are enabled.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

AllenM wrote:
> Thanks Maurice,
> I'm pretty sure I know where the problem exists. I am in a network
> environment although the computer is not part of the domain I am
> passing through my proxy server and using an administrators login to
> validate to. Seeing how my domain computers habe no issues I am just
> going to join the domain and use the firewall client and then will
> remove it and join it back to the workgroup. By the way this is a pc
> for my boss to use at home. Hence not joining the domain and adding
> the FW client. Thanks to all for the suggestions.
>
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote
>
> Allen,
>
> Is this pc a standalone or home pc, OR, is it in a company network
> environment? If the latter, check with your system administrator.
>
> The error 0x80072EEF is supposed to mean "internet login failure".
> Very rare.
> But given you saw this on your screen, take the next step and look at
> the actual entry in the update log file.
>
> Use Notepad or Wordpad and open & look at the Windows Update log file
> C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log or C:\WINNT\WindowsUpdate.log
>
> Scroll down all the way for the set of lines for the last session.
> Look for the first Error for the last session. Is it the same?
>
> If you get stuck, I'd suggest you post a new message at Windows Update
> newsgroup.
> microsoft.public.windowsupdate

TRENDING THREADS