DELL SpeedStep

I have a C800 1GHZ, running XP Professional, latest BIOS (A33?) from
Dells Web Site

I am trying to manually slow down the CPU from 1GHZ, using both the
Power Settings in Control Panel *AND* SpeedSwitchXP

My problem is no matter what I do, SpeedSwitchXP and the Intel
Processor Frequency ID Utility always say 1GHZ... I can never reduce
it no matter, it seems to be stuck on 1GHZ

However when I have selected various options such as CPU Battery Setup
in the BIOS, and also changed the Boot speed to COMPATIBLE (from 1GHZ)
- this makes my machine really really slow - and the indicator still
shows 1GHZ!!!

How can I slow the machine down? I want to because one of the fans is
driving me crazy (ball bearings worn?) - yes I know I can use
I8kfanGUI, but I am not sure how to balance the fan protection as not
to damage my system whilst keeping it cool - I prefer just to run at a
slower speed (I only use the system for Word Processing and Web)

Thanks!

Douglas

I don't think the C800 supports speedstep.It is not the right type of chip!

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 16:36:59 +0400, rfc <rfc2000@usa.net> wrote:

>I have a C800 1GHZ, running XP Professional, latest BIOS (A33?) from
>Dells Web Site
>
>I am trying to manually slow down the CPU from 1GHZ, using both the
>Power Settings in Control Panel *AND* SpeedSwitchXP
>
>My problem is no matter what I do, SpeedSwitchXP and the Intel
>Processor Frequency ID Utility always say 1GHZ... I can never reduce
>it no matter, it seems to be stuck on 1GHZ
>
>However when I have selected various options such as CPU Battery Setup
>in the BIOS, and also changed the Boot speed to COMPATIBLE (from 1GHZ)
>- this makes my machine really really slow - and the indicator still
>shows 1GHZ!!!
>
>How can I slow the machine down? I want to because one of the fans is
>driving me crazy (ball bearings worn?) - yes I know I can use
>I8kfanGUI, but I am not sure how to balance the fan protection as not
>to damage my system whilst keeping it cool - I prefer just to run at a
>slower speed (I only use the system for Word Processing and Web)
>
>Thanks!

Sorry BIOS is: Dell Latitude C800 A23 System BIOS

Thanks!