helpful55

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
Are there any single digit amperage circuit breakers that could be used for electronic testing in lieu of potentially wasting money on expensive fuses? Thanks.

Alc4traz

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Hello,

There are breakers out there which could suite your needs. It is important, that you choose a trip device which has a similar trip characteristic like the fuse you are currently using. The breaker typ you are looking for is a thermal and current sensitive breaker.

One question I do have is, why do you burn so many fuses in the first place? I assume it is a lot trial and error testing you do?

Here is a 0.5A breaker as an example.
http://electrical-controls.springercontrols.com/item/circuit-breakers/jtecul-motor-disconnect/jtecul1b0-5?

helpful55

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
Thank you for the help. I haven’t blown any fuses, I’m just planning ahead so I don’t blow any expensive fuses, a dollar’s a dollar. The amp circuit that I’m working with uses a fuse of 4A 110v, and is a slo-blo as the surge to charge the caps will blow fast acting fuses. Can you give me any ideas of how to test this audio amp that may potentially have a short problem? I don’t believe that I can go by resistance off the power plug terminals as the caps that are uncharged give a very low resistance reading. If the amp is 200 watt rms would a 100w incandescent in series work to determine if the circuit is shorted? Thanks.

neltia

Honorable
May 17, 2013
Are there any single digit amperage circuit breakers that could be used for electronic testing in lieu of potentially wasting money on expensive fuses? Thanks.

There are breaker LED indicators that can help when doing sensitive testing routines. The most common new or used circuit breaker can be found from brands cutler hammer or square d if you're looking for an low priced replacement. The fuses can get pricy but as long as you don't stress the breaker with too much load then you'll be fine. Make sure you test the bp joints and the resistance levels. Just get a cb tester and you'll be good to go.

helpful55

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012