Harold

Hi,
A very strange behavior with "Add/Remove Programs" in my XP pro: when I
scroll to see more files, the screen area where was supposed to show the
files to be removed turns all black . Scrolling 'till the bottom the file
list is back again. What's happening?
Tks,
Harold

Do the programs end at particular letter in the alphabet? A maybe? If so,
you may have a huge white space, scroll down in Add or Remove Programs to
see if this is the problem.

If it is...

Courtesy of Kelly
Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Add or Remove - White Space
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#ws

[[This is generally due to the DisplayIcon having a negative number. From
here you can either remove the negative number or remove the last
application listed:
Start/Run/Regedit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{} ]]

AutoCad Fix
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autocadaddremovefix.zip

Autodesk Land Desktop 3 Fix
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip

===

I have AutoCAD LT 2000i. The white space in Add or Remove Programs usually
shows up after the AutoCAD LT 2000i listing. If you want to tweak the
registry...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0065-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2000i\aclt.exe,-1

Notice the aclt.exe,-1?? You can change it to read aclt.exe,1

Or you can run one of the fixes. I have both autocadaddremovefix.zip &
autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip. They both include icons.
autocadaddremovefix.vbs is the one that works for me. It's easier to use
the fix than changing the -1.

I get the white space in Add or Remove Programs every time that I add or
remove a program. It isn't always AutoCAD LT that has the white space after
it, sometimes it's another program. At any rate, one of the fixes will
work. Until the next time. ;-)

autocadaddremovefix.vbs adds an autocad.ico icon to the %systemroot%\web
folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Value Data: %systemroot%\web\autocad.ico

autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.vbs adds an acad.ico icon to the
%systemroot%\web folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0138-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Value Data: %systemroot%\web\acad.ico
-----
***
From snowman...
AutoCAD 2002 is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
-----
***
From anonymous poster...

One application causes the problem for me. I just removed the reference to
that program in regedit and the black spot dissapeared.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:Oy8SaMfoFHA.1088@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Harold <klj2612@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi,
> A very strange behavior with "Add/Remove Programs" in my XP pro: when I
> scroll to see more files, the screen area where was supposed to show the
> files to be removed turns all black . Scrolling 'till the bottom the file
> list is back again. What's happening?
> Tks,
> Harold

I have heard of "white space" in Add/Remove but not "black space" but
try here anyway:

Add/Remove- part of program list is blank.

Go here:

Go down to here on that page:

"Add or Remove - White Space"

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:43:10 -0300, "Harold" <klj2612@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>A very strange behavior with "Add/Remove Programs" in my XP pro: when I
>scroll to see more files, the screen area where was supposed to show the
>files to be removed turns all black . Scrolling 'till the bottom the file
>list is back again. What's happening?
>Tks,
>Harold

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

I had alternating black and white stripes at one time. It turned out to be
caused by an old program that I installed. Uninstalling the program solved
the problem. What has been installed recently? Uninstall it and see what
happens.

"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>I have heard of "white space" in Add/Remove but not "black space" but
> try here anyway:
>
> Add/Remove- part of program list is blank.
>
> Go here:
>
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
>
> Go down to here on that page:
>
> "Add or Remove - White Space"
>
> ...Alan
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:43:10 -0300, "Harold" <klj2612@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>A very strange behavior with "Add/Remove Programs" in my XP pro: when I
>>scroll to see more files, the screen area where was supposed to show the
>>files to be removed turns all black . Scrolling 'till the bottom the file
>>list is back again. What's happening?
>>Tks,
>>Harold
>>

> ...Alan
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html

I have been having this issue with my laptop ever since the last time I
re-formatted. I don't know exactly what caused it, but somewhere about
in the middle, I have a huge white space with alternating black strips
that shows up when scrolling down my add/remove list. I have read
these messages, but I do not (nor have I ever had) Autocad of any sort
installed. I also searched the DISPLAYICON entries in my registry and
there were a few with negative numbers, but they were either -0 or -5
(and were for programs like Symantec NAV etc). I did backup my
registry, change all of them from negative to positive numbers, and
then went back to add/remove programs and it looks the same to me. I
then restored my registry backup so the changes I made are now undone.
But I have been running my machine for months since I noticed this and
have no idea which program may have been installed around the time this
happened. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ok after playing with X-Setup Pro, I have found that the faulty
application (which was not even listed in the add/remove programs,
probably because the entry was fudged) is Mobile Soundlabs Ringtone
Ripper - a generic cell ringtone app that I never even liked or used
much...so besides Autocad, there's the program that caused me
problems...

I had the problem when I installed a cheap ($5) game software from Circuit
City. When I removed the game the problem went away. Coincidence?

<heweaver@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have been having this issue with my laptop ever since the last time I
> re-formatted. I don't know exactly what caused it, but somewhere about
> in the middle, I have a huge white space with alternating black strips
> that shows up when scrolling down my add/remove list. I have read
> these messages, but I do not (nor have I ever had) Autocad of any sort
> installed. I also searched the DISPLAYICON entries in my registry and
> there were a few with negative numbers, but they were either -0 or -5
> (and were for programs like Symantec NAV etc). I did backup my
> registry, change all of them from negative to positive numbers, and
> then went back to add/remove programs and it looks the same to me. I
> then restored my registry backup so the changes I made are now undone.
> But I have been running my machine for months since I noticed this and
> have no idea which program may have been installed around the time this
> happened. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I had this prob, i found out it was electonic arts updater or somthing

Either way just go to registry and compare it with what actually shows up on
the add/remove prog list. If it is supposed to be where the blank is, then
delete the registry setting (export it first)

If you don't know the registry location for add/remove programs (or what the
registry is) then wait for someone who does... (cos i can't remember, lol)

Jayso

Please reply to this email so I know if i'm right :)

Good in Home Networking, XP Home based problems, and Pro based Problems
Add my email to MSN Messenger if u wish
jayso_chinnery@spamfreehotmail.com.au (remove spamfree)