any helpful adbvice with a start up problem

ditty21

Distinguished
May 8, 2003
I just finished hooking up the last IDE cables and power cords, and all i get is the a quick spin from the fans and then nothing. If I push the power button again, the fans will not even spin again. The only way they will spin is if I unplug the power cord form the back of the machine and then hit the power button. Then again, the fans only spin for a split second and then NOTHING! Is this a problem with the CPU?

RCPilot

Champion
Is the HSF mounted correctly? Sounds like it's shutting down before it fries itself.

Or reset the CMOS it could be that as well.

With so little info on your system those are the only guesses I can give at this point.

If it ain't broke, take it apart & see why not!

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Most likely is your mobo shorts to ground. Try to boot it outside the case.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Traqr

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
Usually when I've seen this the AGP card is sitting 2-3mm high in the slot. Reseat all your cards (AGP & PCI), and maybe your RAM. If that doesn't do it, you'll have to start removing/swapping parts until you figure out what's causing your problem.

<font color=blue>Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself.</font color=blue><font color=green>
<i>Canadian Flight Safety periodical, ~1987</i></font color=green>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Plugging in a computer usually makes the fans spin for a moment. Your description doesn't even allow us to know if the power switch on the front pannel is connected to the right pins. Please read the first post in the Motherboard's forum for usefull tips.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

bandikoot

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
I have actually had this problem before. In my case what it turned out to be was that the cord from my monitor pulled tight when I was moving it and managed to shift my gforce so that it wasn't in the AGP quite right anymore. I pushed the card back in all the way and everything started up fine. This happened a second time and I overcame my inherent lazyness and slid my case over a few inches.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
AGP cards are <i>notorious</i> for bad connections. You wouldn't believe how many system failures I've fixed simply by removing and reinserting the video card.

---><font color=green>It ain't better if it don't work</font color=green><---