CPU not loading right

mateoran76

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2003
I am building my very first computer ever right now and everything is going fine except for one thing: I am installing an Athlon XP2700 on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe board and when I start up it says it's just an athlon 1500. It also says that in the hardware profile on WinXP.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks.

RCPilot

Champion
Set your FSB to 166 in BIOS. Your running @ 100 FSB. That's why your CPU reads 1500. It's late & I don't want to do the math to show you. Just set it to 166 & you'll be rocking at 2700 speed.

If it ain't broke, take it apart & see why not!

Winterburn

Distinguished
May 10, 2003
Same is thing is happening to me. Exact same mobo and cpu also I'm using Thermaltake 11 with fan on full speed. But, another thing concerns me as well... my bios hardware monitor says that the cpu is running at 85 C. Tried changing the FSB and cpu keeps dying out on me. WTF? Could someone elaborate?

DOH!

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
If you are on a cooler with thermal material pre-applied...

1) Did you take the plastic cover off the thermal pad before installing the heatsink?

2) Is the heatsink right way around? There is a step in the bottom of the heatsink, the high side of the step needs to be over the header of the CPU socket (where the locking arm connects).

3) Are both sides of the mounting clips done up correctly?

4) Is the CPU core voltage set correctly? Check your mobo's manual, there should be either jumpers or a BIOS setting.

5) If you lifted the cooler off the cpu did you replace the thermal pad? That stuff is not re-useable.

If you are on a cooler that uses thermal paste...

Check 2 3 and 4 above and

1) Did you apply the thermal paste correctly? The instructions are here: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_...etter if it don't work</font color=green><---